Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got a new Sat Nav, or did I?

Options
  • 04-05-2010 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Bit the bullet last Friday, went to get myself a SatNav.
    In local store, Garmins in short supply, ie none.
    Salesman showed me a TomTom 930, nice price, and on being told that I would have free map updates for a year, went for it. treated myself to a home-charger, protective case and an extended warranty.
    Went home, read the instructions, fired up , everything in Polish!
    On-line dictionary, sussed out the icons, got into Anglo-Saxon finally.
    More yet to come.
    Notice, Latest Map Guarantee EXPIRED!
    Upper right on my HOME page, I was informed that map-updates were available at a reduced price.
    Clicked on it to see what was what, to find that not only did I have to pay for a year's updates, admittedly at a reduced price, but I had to come up with the readies for updates for the last 2 years!! (8 quarterly) again at a reduced price. Not negotiable!:confused:
    Back to store Saturday, staff suitably baffled, but unable to contact their experts until today.
    Got in touch with TomTom yesterday, yes, on the bank holiday. They were not aware of any such promotion in the ROI.
    I had to admit that the offer of updates was a verbal one, not worth the paper it was written on. Nothing about it in the box.
    I have sent TomTom a copy of my purchase receipt and a read-out of the System details of the SatNav. Very tricky to maintain an ongoing correspondence with TomTom.
    Hopefully they'll come up with something.
    The way I read it, this TomTom must have been activated 2-3 years ago, maybe in Poland, and I am being caught for updates which have been available since.
    The box and wrapping seemed to be untouched, however.
    I don't want to name the store or the town, in case this is sorted amicably.
    It is a funny business and I will keep you all posted.
    In the meantime, cautionary word, ask for any verbal agreement, to be written down.:o

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi ainiseoir,
    With your permissionI would like to copy this post onto the TomTom beta test forum & see if they can come up with some answers.
    Can you PM me the device ID ?
    You will get this on the system information screen, its 2 sets of 5 letters.
    Also the device serial number located under the device beside the PC connection its 12 digits letters & numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Just looked at "Favourites"
    I haven't got to add any of my own yet.
    I found 2.
    One , the store name where this was bought.
    The other, just an initial, with a location other than mine.
    I beginning to think this must have been, at best, a demo model.
    I tend towards paranoia at the best of times, but this is beginning to smell.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The general consensus from TT beat forum is that this is not a new unit.
    The contract is between yourself & the shop. I would recommend bringing it back showing them its not new & demanding they either replace the unit, get it to the condition it should have been purchased in (Including latest maps & a written guarantee for 12 months) or a refund.
    Remember your basic rights, the 3 Rs..
    Repair ,Replace or Refund.
    Tell them failing that you will be contacting the Director of Consumer Affairs.

Thank you.
    It certainly points that way.
    I had hoped to get something from the System Information that would prove that such was the case.
    I'm not sure I have enough to nail it down.
    I'll see what they have to say and take it from there.

Tom

I am sure TT will verify this for you.
    If I get a response from a staff memebr I'll let you know.

• Advertisement

Cheers!

koolkid wrote: »

Took it back to the store this a.m.
    Bewilderment still in evidence, but the presence of two "Favourites" led to an offer of replacement.
    Decided on that as the product's history seemed uncertain even though the product seemed to be working OK and i won't get the replacement for a week.
    Thank you for your help.
    This was my first Sat Nav, I'm well past the first bloom, and I hate to think that they may have "seen me coming" as it were.
    May I ask if you have a checklist, or know of one which I could use to make certain that all is kosher BEFORE I leave the shop, i.e. that the hardware is as it left the factory and that the map updates are as they should be.
    I hate coming back moaning.
    Le caoin-mheas,
    Tom

Hard to check on the device straight away. Generally a device bought from a store will have out of date map (Maps are released every 3 months, generally stock will not be turned around that fast) and older software. TomToms map guarantee will allow you to download the latest map after buying a new device. You could ask in store for them to connect & register your device on TomTom Home. This will enable you to see if its offering you the free map upgrade.

Hi Koolkid.
    I took my TT back to the store last Wednesday, when I added the 2 "Favourites" which were not mine to the list of complaints, I was offered the 3 "R's".
    As I had purchased on line quite a few accessories for this TT, I decided to go for a direct replacement. Probably the wrong call.Gave in the TT and was told that the replacement would take a week?!
    But the plot thickens!
    I printed out my System information and Proof of Purchase to have to hand if needs be and found that the Serial Numbers did not match!
    Print-out from TT HOME: Serial Number J623987H09442.
    Receipt/Extended Warranty: s/n 636926022156.
    I presume that the Store's S/N came from scanning the box and that the contained TT did not even belong there!
    I think I've stepped into a fairly serious heap of **** here, and would like your take on it, I don't want to make allegations I can't substantiate.
    I don't mind spending a few bob on a legal opinion, as it's got personal, I feel I may have been seen as a good candidate to drop a dodgy one on and that hurts!
    Cheers,
    Tom Johnson

I would recommend getting confirmation from TomTom directly. Send them all the information you have including serial numbers from the device, the receipt & the packaging

• Advertisement

I would recommend getting confirmation from TomTom directly. Send them all the information you have including serial numbers from the device, the receipt & the packaging

Thank you.
    I've just done that.
    I suspect that it's not the sort of stuff that they like to get into.
    As you said earlier, its primarily between me and the store.
    I think I'll run it by a legal type tomorrow.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

very interesting thread, please keep us up to date

smodgley wrote: »
    very interesting thread, please keep us up to date

The serial number on the device should match the serial on the box.

The 2nd Line has also found the following items system information you sent me. The_Voice_of_Ireland 1, this does not come pre-installed on the device. Which could be a indication that the device has been used before.

Also you : > ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8395

This is a TT work application and sometimes offered in TT home to x30 devices. This application is not the normal application your device should come with.

I hope this helps you with your dealings with the store.

With Kind Regards

By the time I got the above, I had been to the store and got a total refund.
    My legal eagle had advised me to cool it, as much of what I complained about might not in some circumstances be proven to be the fault of the store.

What came through above is the final installment in the sad saga. Scary enough in itself, isn't it?

It certainly is a wake up call about buying such items in stores that are part of a major chain.

It must be impossible to monitor what happens the merchandise in idle moments.

I still reckon that I was identified as an old f**t who wouldn't have a bull's about checking the thing out, and an ideal client on whom to offload an embarrassing piece of kit. That's what really vexed me.

I immediately ordered direct from the manufacturers in the Netherlands.
    Though it seems to be coming by pack-mule, at least I expect that it's installation and setup will be a dream compared to the initial outing.

Sin a bhfuil! Slán!

Advertisement