Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saint Crone's

Options
  • 04-05-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Today I was out to Dungloe etc, and finally located the St Crone's site featured on the photo thread and also my thread re Celtic and Monastic sites in Donegal.

The site and these ancient and historic ruins that go back to the 5th century are a disgrace.

Since yesterday the gate to the track leading to the ruins has been padlocked; assuming it was public access, I had just climbed over the gate when a large lady and her dog appeared to ask me to wait while she fetched someone to go down with me. They had cows and calves on that land and y'day a group with children had caused trouble. NB as I was leaving, after an hour with the landowner, he relocked the gate and has wood there ready to barricade the gate against all comers.... :rolleyes:

Termonator's photos are so beautiful I had expected differently. In places the outer walls are disintegrating so the cattle will soon be in. The graves are appallingly overgrown with weeds and stones shattered. The only graves well tended are the military ones.

The ownership is confusing. The irate farmer owns the land but seems not to know who owns/is responsible for the ruins. He was talking re the Board of Works?

He knows more of the history then I have read anywhere; listening to him was fascinating.... the great mound of shells etc and why they are there. St Crona's Stone and the overgrown and disappeared Holy Wells.

And the fact that there are famine victims buried there also.

Please, who do we write to re the state of this ancient site? It really is a total disgrace the way it is.

Thank you....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No idea myself as to who to write to but Im sure someone here will know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

As far as I know, Donegal County Council is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of old graveyards. I'm not sure which section, but I will try and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Termonator

Agreed that the site is in quite a state as it stands but this is currently due to be addressed by a local committee which has been set up just in the last month or two to seek guidance on the correct avenues to follow to somewhat restore the site and graves.

The issue of ownership seems to be up in the air with nothing formal in place as all land outside the walls belong to said farmer, as well as the access road.

Access to the site has never traditionally been down the padlocked lane but through a succession of fields along which three holy wells are located and marked.

I would think the access you used is blocked to prevent this becoming a right of way to the site through the farmers land over time.

Hopefully the committee can move matters forward in the coming weeks and months now and improvements can be made to the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Termonator wrote: »
    Agreed that the site is in quite a state as it stands but this is currently due to be addressed by a local committee which has been set up just in the last month or two to seek guidance on the correct avenues to follow to somewhat restore the site and graves.

The issue of ownership seems to be up in the air with nothing formal in place as all land outside the walls belong to said farmer, as well as the access road.

Access to the site has never traditionally been down the padlocked lane but through a succession of fields along which three holy wells are located and marked.

I would think the access you used is blocked to prevent this becoming a right of way to the site through the farmers land over time.

Hopefully the committee can move matters forward in the coming weeks and months now and improvements can be made to the site.

Good to hear that. Please is that other way marked? or can you gve clear written instructions please as I need to go back?

Yes, we know the rights of way law and he really would not have a leg to stand on.

I promised to contact the Board of Works for him anyways and we will do so.

Domscard wrote: »
    As far as I know, Donegal County Council is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of old graveyards. I'm not sure which section, but I will try and find out.

Thanks; he mentioned the Board of Works etc; I have a lot on his words re them. will try to follow that up.

I don't think that this will be Donegal coco somehow, but you never know.

The military graves are interesting also.

Wondering why it is not of the care of eg Heritage also? it is one of the most important and ancient sites. ( I am a Monastic Historian with international connections.... Have involved with these issues before.. fascinating stuff! )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

I grew up in Dungloe and do not even know where you're on about. Shame on me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Termonator

No there is no marked route at all and it is very hard to explain, best way would be to PM me if you are planning on going back and could meet you and show you the way, I am around most weekends.

I grew up in Dungloe and do not even know where you're on about. Shame on me :(

Not your fault; this is the worst kept ancient site we have seen. It took half an hour even to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Can you post up a simple map or even simplistic directions to it. I know the area quite well (or so I thought!) Regularly go for drives around the area so it be nice to do a bit of sightseeing!

Will try from a stranger's viewpoint!

Into maghera from Dungloe; when you com to the village, and the buidling, there is a sign to the right with the word "RELIG" on it.

And you can see the famine walls then. Tall stone walls; very distinctive. Very atmospheric.

Keep turning right; I had to stop at a house to ask the way and a kind man drove ahead of me to the gate; you cannot see the ruins from the lane and the farmer will now have barricaded the gate. He lives at a bungalow just past the gate.

There is another way across the fields, but have not had time to try that yet.

Just ask at houses is the way I found it.
    Can you post up a simple map or even simplistic directions to it. I know the area quite well (or so I thought!) Regularly go for drives around the area so it be nice to do a bit of sightseeing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 local71

Graces7 wrote: »
    Today I was out to Dungloe etc, and finally located the St Crone's site featured on the photo thread and also my thread re Celtic and Monastic sites in Donegal.

The site and these ancient and historic ruins that go back to the 5th century are a disgrace.

Since yesterday the gate to the track leading to the ruins has been padlocked; assuming it was public access, I had just climbed over the gate when a large lady and her dog appeared to ask me to wait while she fetched someone to go down with me. They had cows and calves on that land and y'day a group with children had caused trouble. NB as I was leaving, after an hour with the landowner, he relocked the gate and has wood there ready to barricade the gate against all comers.... :rolleyes:

Termonator's photos are so beautiful I had expected differently. In places the outer walls are disintegrating so the cattle will soon be in. The graves are appallingly overgrown with weeds and stones shattered. The only graves well tended are the military ones.

The ownership is confusing. The irate farmer owns the land but seems not to know who owns/is responsible for the ruins. He was talking re the Board of Works?

He knows more of the history then I have read anywhere; listening to him was fascinating.... the great mound of shells etc and why they are there. St Crona's Stone and the overgrown and disappeared Holy Wells.

And the fact that there are famine victims buried there also.

Please, who do we write to re the state of this ancient site? It really is a total disgrace the way it is.

Thank you....

It is regrettable that your experience was disappointing, it is also regrettable that the site is so poorly cared for by the state. A site of such beauty and historic importance needs to be cherished and funds need to be pumped into it from National Government to preserve it for future generations. However in the recessionary times we are in it is most unlikely that any funds will be made available, when in the affluent days of the celtic tiger it was ignored. The original pathway as Termonator has said is through fields from the main road near maghery. Access is difficult and uneven. The local Farmer is in the position of being damned if you do and damned if you dont allow access, however if approached with respect and genuine interest has always been most accommodating and helpful. Any maintenance and upkeep that is being carried out at the site is being carried out by the said farmer thanklessly for decades. I suggest that rather than hindering access and development at the site , the farmer in question has preserved and protected the site from vandalism and abuse over the years. The safety of Pilgrims to the site is an issue and Insurance and public liability are of concern in this issue also. The relevant Government body responsible for this site needs to address all of these issues before a satisfactory resolution to the situation can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I have not said so before but I learnt a lot from this thread. I know that very few sites are owned and maintained by the state and that access is always through someone's land and stock. Bearing in mind the comments here and frequent remarks in the local books about asking the farmer first before going to a site of interest, when we went to look at the Kilkenny site last weekend we found the farm that had access.

The farmer was lovely, even though I think we disturbed his lunch, and he warned us about the bull in the field. We took great care on his land, enjoyed our adventure on the edge of the Gweebarra, and told him when we were leaving his property.
    I will put some pics up, I promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

i did a project on this church for my college course, when i went looking for it it took me a while, but when i walked down the field and saw it i was amazed at how great condition it was in. The farmer then came down and gave me loads of information about it, really nice man.

I'm amazed the Office of Public Works isn't fixing it up a bit more, it wouldn't take much at all. They recently fixed 2 gable walls of the church ruin on Inishkeel Island, Portnoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 steg67

anychance of reposting the photos of the said place please ta

Advertisement