Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy fresh fish?

Options
  • 04-05-2010 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi, where would everyone recommend to buy nice fresh fish other than Howth. I was there at the weekend and bought lovely fresh prawns but I live over in Dublin 15 so its a bit of a pain to get to.

Anywhere near town or near me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Superquinn should do the trick for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hug0

I was thinking more of a fishmonger in the area? No fish in my superquinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Thinfin

Kish Fish is good near Smithfield market - its in Dublin 7 though not really on your doorstep...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Its not very near you, but if you're ever in the Dun Laoghaire direction there's a fish shop in the marina. Great fresh selection and didn't seem particularly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

The butchers in Roselawn get fresh fish delivered in every day (most days). Good selection, bit pricey but it is fresh. They can order in whatever you want a day before. I bought whole squid there the other day.

If i have time however, I go to Kish in smithfield. However its also pricey compared to howth.

I was in there yesterday and they were selling cleaned squid for €15 a kg. Rip off!!!!!!! Haddock was decent value at 11 per kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

+1 for kish fish, would be lost without it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Meath Street on a Friday, got some lovely Hake there the other week.

Just get there early as the que will be down the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

there's also wrights of marino

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

or you could pick up some fresh fish in the asian stores on parnell street - I got some lovely seabass from 'Good Fresh' - yer man descaled and filleted it for me too... Winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭central

OP, I have recently started collecting some fish recipes I am dying to try and was going to ask the same question - where to get fish in Dublin 15.

I noticed on my way home from work yesterday there is a place on Phibsoboro Road up past McGowans on the right. Also, just off Cabra Road beside Funeral Directors there, opposite that big row of shops down past McDonalds??? Sorry can't remember Funeral Directors Name.

I have yet to try either but will be over the coming weeks.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

Not that great for D 15 (depending what side you're on) but the Dublin Meat Co butchers is welcoming a branch of Nicky's Plaice (from Howth Pier) in its Swords branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

There's a fishmongers underneath the Finglas Library in Finglas Village - when I don't get to Howth I go there or Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

The fish lady on Moore Street lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

Fish displays in any SuperQuinn are depressing.
    Look at their scales which hasn't been washed for a while, it's sticky with old fish slime... An insult to any fish eater.
    It would not cost us or them much more money or time to weigh the fish in the bag or on a piece of paper, instead of on the naked scale. Dis-gus-ting!

Doran's in Howth is I'm affraid the only good fish shop around in the Dublin area. This Normandy guy definitely knows what he is talking about! (and his fowl humour is most entertaining!) And plus one also for the Dun Laoghaire marina fish shop.
    I've also heard good things of Caviston's fish stall as well but that's in Glasthule...

I leave in D24, and will make the M50 journey to Howth any weekend to get descent fresh fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

hug0 wrote: »
    Hi, where would everyone recommend to buy nice fresh fish other than Howth. I was there at the weekend and bought lovely fresh prawns but I live over in Dublin 15 so its a bit of a pain to get to.

Anywhere near town or near me?

Petes Plaice in Clondalking village. A brand new fish shop with some excellent daily special offers. I picked up four fillets of sea bass for a tenner and they were beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thread bump!

I went to the Asian Supermarket at the Jervis St Luas stop at the weekend and got 5 razor clams, a dozen prawns, 2 squid and 4 mackerel for a mere €14.50. I was well impressed with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

If you're in Dublin 15 then you're not too far from Lucan. A new fishmonger's opened there at the start of September called McAllister's and it's on the main street of the old village. Apparently they've been in the fish business for 40 years. I haven't been there yet, but my mother in law who knows her fish got some fillets of lemon sole at a good price that were according to her, tender, fresh and delicious.

I'll be heading there soon to stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Has anyone any more information about the fish place on the harbour of Dun Laoire? I keep hearing about it, but not too sure where it is and what time or days its open at?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you're in Dublin 15 then you're not too far from Lucan. A new fishmonger's opened there at the start of September called McAllister's and it's on the main street of the old village.

+1

I've been there several times since it opened I can highly recommend it. Lovely quality fish and shellfish and reasonable prices. I've bought tiger gambas, mussels, sardines (filleted!!!) and smoked haddock so far and all were of excellent quality.

There's there's a new fish store (from the outside it looks huge) beside Lidl in the Glasnevin Industrial Estate. I'm going to pop in this morning to see what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

If you're in Dublin 15 then you're not too far from Lucan. A new fishmonger's opened there at the start of September called McAllister's and it's on the main street of the old village. Apparently they've been in the fish business for 40 years. I haven't been there yet, but my mother in law who knows her fish got some fillets of lemon sole at a good price that were according to her, tender, fresh and delicious.

Sad, we live a stones throw away and I have not gone in yet (did not know that it existed until this thread) - will be there today :)

I went into the Fish Supermarket in Glasnevin (beside Lidl) on Saturday. It was fantastic - it's like a big pick and mix sweet shop but for fish. There's every variety of fish - (some I've never heard of and others I'm like - oh that's what they're like). The prices are very competitive - one man told me that the fish he was getting was really really good value. I didn't buy anything because I was overwhelmed by the variety of fish and couldn't decide. I'm going back this week with a definite idea of what I want!!!

The shop was spotless clean and big - really worth a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hug0

The only thing with that shop in Glasnevin is that all the fish is frozen. But yes they do have a good selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Sad, we live a stones throw away and I have not gone in yet (did not know that it existed until this thread) - will be there today :)

Any feedback, CathyMoran? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

unkel wrote: »
    Any feedback, CathyMoran? :)
    Am ashamed to say that I have not gone yet - they are not open when my husband comes home in the evening and last Saturday we were out all day. I will go by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Highly recommend the place - got some lovely stuff there last week, not too pricey and fantastic quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Another vote for McAllisters in Lucan. Got some prawn stir fry last week. Saturday got a whole seabass, stuffed it with herbs and roasted in the oven, fell of the bone and also a whole smoked mackeral which I have had 2 nights now with salad.

Fab. Going back tomorrow for the stir fry.

Thouroughly recommend. Great service and advice too. No connection. Just (very) satisfied customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

I went to the fish "super"market by woodies/lidl in Glasnevin on Saturday.

Picked up some Hake, Cod & Cat Fish along with some Scallops & Prawns.

It was excellent value , 4 Medium size hake fillets cost me about €4 (enough for 3 people).

It works out about 1-2 euro per fillet for most fish .

I baked the hake on Saturday and it was lovely , I thought it might go to mush after defrosting but it was still firm and didn't smell too bad.

i have the scallops defrosting along with the cat-fish and i am looking up recipes for both tonight.

The shop is staffed by a few Americans who are really chatty and informative , they walked around the shop (Which is basically lots of big freezers) giving tips and answering anyones questions. all the fridges have reciopes and cooking tips for most of the fish.

I will defo be back and really recommend it . despite the fish being frozen it all looked healthy enough and the few pieces i defrosted have turned out perfect.

Advertisement