Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Cork for work for 2 days

Options
  • 04-05-2010 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    Going down to Cork for work for two days, gettin the train, so need to get from the train station to mahon point shopping centre, after work from mahon point to jurys on river lee, then next morning back to mahon point then from there to train station, anbody advise me how best to go about this??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Best, or cheapest? Most straight foward way would be to get taxis. But if you can't afford that, then:

Walk from train station into town, to the Grand Parade (long enough walk, 15 mins or so, google map here). Get the no. 10 bus from there to Mahon Point (runs every 25 minutes). From Mahon Point, get no. 10 back into town. It'll drop you off on Sullivan's Quay, just across the river from the Grand Parade. It's a 5/10 minute walk from there to Jurys (google map here).

Go from Jury's to Grand Parade and get the no. 10 again the next day to Mahon Point, get no. 10 back into town, and walk to train station. On the way back into town, ask the driver to let you off at the South Infirmary. That's the quickest way to the train station (google map here).

/edit: Those maps keep showing as driving directions for me, so obviously change them to walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

You're a star, thanks a million for that!
    How much is the bus? And how much roughly would a taxi be?
    Work will pay for taxis, just dont wanna take the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

a lot easier to walk to city hall (straight on over the bridge from the bus station) and get the no.10 instead of the grand parade, gives you an extra 5 mins over the timetable

the No.2 outside the bus station is a good option too but involves a 10-15 min walk from the CSO or you could wait till it gets near the cemetery

But if your finished any time after 6pm the no.10 gets very erratic, say if you finish at 9pm mon-sat next bus won't be leaving till 21:25

even worse on a sunday 18:00 > 18:45 > 20:45 > 22:15

Shamanic wrote: »
    How much is the bus?

€1.60 or I think around €4 for an unlimited day saver ticket

And how much roughly would a taxi be?
    Work will pay for taxis, just dont wanna take the piss

I'd reckon around from €10-€14 from the city

it's €14 from mayfield to mahon which is only 5 miles away

I don't know if taxi companies will do a discount if you book in advance, but worth a try, I think a guy I work with does this as it's always the same guy collecting him

alright cool thanks a million, if you know of any taxis if you could give me their number that'd be great. Thanks a million for all your help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

a lot easier to walk to city hall (straight on over the bridge from the bus station) and get the no.10 instead of the grand parade, gives you an extra 5 mins over the timetable

That's true actually. The number 2 is a lot better, but stops a good bit away from Mahon Point.

As for taxis, Cork Taxi Co-op is the best imo. 021 427 2222.

Flesh Gorden is pretty spot on with taxi prices.

great folks thanks a millioni

You could chance Mayfield based Sun Cabs aswell, they split into two a while back but both kept the Sun Cabs name when new management came in and both became very aggressive with pricing, looking at a card I have it says 'accounts welcome'

021 - 4502929 - breakaway company
    021 - 4292929 - original company

big advantage aswell is they've never charged me a booking fee, some like sattelite taxis add a €2 surchrge

Advertisement