Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family doctor in Newbridge

Options
  • 04-05-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Moving to Newbridge with wife and baby daughter in a few weeks and looking to get feedback on the various doctors in Newbridge.

Any comments\recommendations for potential family doctors would be much appreciated!

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

DR. Salem

Newbridge Medical Clinic
    Naas Road
    Newbridge
    Co Kildare

045 430893

One of the best gps I've come across. He referred me to A&E and text me a few days later to see how I was. How many GPs do that. And he makes house calls if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

foodaholic wrote: »
    DR. Salem

Newbridge Medical Clinic
    Naas Road
    Newbridge
    Co Kildare

045 430893

One of the best gps I've come across. He referred me to A&E and text me a few days later to see how I was. How many GPs do that. And he makes house calls if needed

The other half had cause to visit him and he was fantastic. A lovely guy and a great doctor. He is now the other half's GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Thanks for the info, I'll check him out. Anyone else have any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fudge74

Thanks for the info, I'll check him out. Anyone else have any recommendations?

Dr Healy in the Moorefield Medical Centre. Top doc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 debbiek

I would reccommend

Dr Eamon Dillon
    1 Canning Place (just behind keg pub)
    Newbridge

045 432464

My family has been with him for yrs and never had any probs, find him very easy to talk to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Id also recommend DR. Salem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

:D Dr Salem here too - he used to work as a registrar in Naas Hospital, so can pull a few strings if necessary. - Also talks in regular english rather than medical speak and very easy going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 happypenguin

Our whole family go to Dr Ramadan in Moorefield (directly facing Tescos)
    Friendly & Professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 copternadley

I recommend yo go for Dr. Salem...

ffh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Found Dr Bernard Healy, Moorefield Medical Centre, to be very easy to talk to and very helpful. He's very clear explaining medical matters and I feel he understands his patients. Very personable man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭murty01

Am I the only person who didn't find Dr. Salem that great. Only living in town since Dec 07. He was grand and handy from where i'm living so off I trotted. Went 3 times to him in that time and the man didn't even lay his hands on me. Twice for the the same thing and not once did he give me an examination. Literally in ,I said me problem and 2 and a half minutes later out again 60 or 50 quid lighter each time. I wasn't sure the medication was even going to work. The last time (July) was for a lower half problem and didn't even exam my suspected problem. I said what it might be and he says I'll set you up with an out-patients appointment in Naas "Should be in a week or so" says he. No exam or nothing. Eventually after twice having to ring back to him I got the appointment for the middle of October in Naas. Efficient not very. That's another 50 notes (Consultancy Fee says he). Me thinks the good doctor doesn't like to get his hands dirty. Have since changed doctors.
    My girlfriend went to him a few times and thought he was grand. Nice and chatty and wants to know how she is getting on in life in general. Really nice like. I went in and hardly a smile crossed his face. Now I'm a friendly type of fella myself. Crack a joke with ya if I think yer on the ball and all that. But that lad. He's a bit odd I think. Hard to know. Anyway good luck to him in all his endeavours. He has enough of me money for a while. Might get an awful dose of something someday and need him in a hurry so I'll not speak too ill of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've just had to delete some posts from this thread. Stick to facts, folks - no hearsay or rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

Anyone ever hear of Dr Mary O'Doherty...any feedback? just registered with her today!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

murty01 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who didn't find Dr. Salem that great. Only living in town since Dec 07. He was grand and handy from where i'm living so off I trotted. Went 3 times to him in that time and the man didn't even lay his hands on me. Twice for the the same thing and not once did he give me an examination. Literally in ,I said me problem and 2 and a half minutes later out again 60 or 50 quid lighter each time. I wasn't sure the medication was even going to work. The last time (July) was for a lower half problem and didn't even exam my suspected problem. I said what it might be and he says I'll set you up with an out-patients appointment in Naas "Should be in a week or so" says he. No exam or nothing. Eventually after twice having to ring back to him I got the appointment for the middle of October in Naas. Efficient not very. That's another 50 notes (Consultancy Fee says he). Me thinks the good doctor doesn't like to get his hands dirty. Have since changed doctors.
    My girlfriend went to him a few times and thought he was grand. Nice and chatty and wants to know how she is getting on in life in general. Really nice like. I went in and hardly a smile crossed his face. Now I'm a friendly type of fella myself. Crack a joke with ya if I think yer on the ball and all that. But that lad. He's a bit odd I think. Hard to know. Anyway good luck to him in all his endeavours. He has enough of me money for a while. Might get an awful dose of something someday and need him in a hurry so I'll not speak too ill of him.

I used the good doctor a few weeks ago ,

He was fine apart from being 35 minutes late back to the clinic after his break.

I was in and out of his office in 2 minutes flat , knew straight away what was up as soon as he looked down my throat, wrote me a prescription and away I went .

Was recovered a few days later so I was happy enough.

Now on the other hand the OH said she used to use him but he charged her for two consultations because she had 3 ailments and he only only allows 2 ailments per consultation.

So it cost her a €100 for her 5 minutes with the good doctor .

I wont be using him again after that.

Scruff101 wrote: »
    Anyone ever hear of Dr Mary O'Doherty...any feedback? just registered with her today!

Never attended her, but I hear she is popular. Women in particular seem very happy with her according to what I have heard locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DomShelley

Dr. Eamonn Dillon, been my familys doctor for years...... nice man too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Anyone shed any light on the stickers around Newbridge that all say"Dr Salem is a liar".

Seen loads of them all around lamposts and traffic lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

I felt I had to update this thread as I attended Doctor Salem on the recommendations from previous posters.

ADMIN EDIT: Potential legal issues here. I suggest that if you have a complaint against a GP you contact the appropriate regulatory agency rather than posting on an internet forum. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shla

I have used Dr Salem a few times and find his manner v unpredictable and to be honest I don't feel comfortable using him. While pregnant and v ill he told me that I was fine and the vomiting would ease and that I would just have to grin and bear it, to cut a long story short I ended up in hospital on a drip!!The hospital couldn't understand why I hadn't been sent in straight away by the doctor. So currently I am on the search for a new doctor.

Are there any doctor's in Newbridge taking on new patients at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Newbridge Family Practice, Moorefield Road.

Dr Michael McDonnell is very good - pleasant, patient, takes time to explain things and doesn't rush you out out of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Newbridge Family Practice, Moorefield Road.

Dr Michael McDonnell is very good - pleasant, patient, takes time to explain things and doesn't rush you out out of the place.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Volvoal

foodaholic wrote: »
    DR. Salem

Newbridge Medical Clinic
    Naas Road
    Newbridge
    Co Kildare

045 430893

Best GP by far .also referred me to A & E after I registered in A&E i sat down in waiting room 5mins later Doctor Salem walked into A&E waved over to me, spoke to lady in admin and I was called in straight away .above and beyond call of duty lovely genuine man going to him ever since my wife also finds him fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jockmonster

Hi Guy's,

Must say in our experience we are currently researching where to find a decent moral minded doctor's practise, having been with Dr Healy for a number of years our experience has been such that the reception staff are rude, unaccommodating and very unhelpful. Could go on about this point for quite a bit but point made.

Totally fed up with visiting (generally with our kids), being prescribed medication which a week later has little or no effect (normally about € 100 down the drain between doctor's visit and prescription cost), having to go back to be prescribed more medication which may or may not work (another € 100) We are currently in a situation where we are faced with a 3rd visit for the same complaint and they will not see us without charging again for our 5 year old. Totally outrageous.

Granted I would have a belief that if we were able to talk with Dr Healy he may have a different and more understanding view but you cannot get past the reception staff who make it virtually impossible to talk with him.

For these reasons I could not and certainly would not recommend this practise to anyone. I would give anything for the health of my children but the overall principles administered here are, in our experience, far from acceptable.

Hi Guy's,

Must say in our experience we are currently researching where to find a decent moral minded doctor's practise, having been with Dr Healy for a number of years our experience has been such that the reception staff are rude, unaccommodating and very unhelpful. Could go on about this point for quite a bit but point made.

Totally fed up with visiting (generally with our kids), being prescribed medication which a week later has little or no effect (normally about € 100 down the drain between doctor's visit and prescription cost), having to go back to be prescribed more medication which may or may not work (another € 100) We are currently in a situation where we are faced with a 3rd visit for the same complaint and they will not see us without charging again for our 5 year old. Totally outrageous.

Granted I would have a belief that if we were able to talk with Dr Healy he may have a different and more understanding view but you cannot get past the reception staff who make it virtually impossible to talk with him.

For these reasons I could not and certainly would not recommend this practise to anyone. I would give anything for the health of my children but the overall principles administered here are, in our experience, far from acceptable.
    I think Dr Healy takes phone calls from 12.30 to 1 pm - might be a way to get advice without having to pay an additional 50 euro. Understand what you're saying about reception (it's over busy) but maybe have a chat about your concerns the next time you're in with Dr Healy himself? (It's never been the most organised of places and I've been attending there for donkey's years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Volvoal wrote: »
    Best GP by far .also referred me to A & E after I registered in A&E i sat down in waiting room 5mins later Doctor Salem walked into A&E waved over to me, spoke to lady in admin and I was called in straight away .above and beyond call of duty lovely genuine man going to him ever since my wife also finds him fantastic

I remember when we went to start going to him, the one thing that stood out for us was the constant referral by him to only taking cash..NO cards of any description, not even medical ones.

We haven't been there for a number of years, maybe he has changed his stance since the bubble has burst. I only know I won't be going back.

I would though, like to 2nd Celtic Chick in praising Michael McDonald.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sophie_

Hi Guy's,

Reception staff are by far the rudest I ever met and I've said this to both Dr'sbut they just don't want to know about it. There are probably tons of excuses for their rudeness, dealing with difficult patient or whatever but that's not the point is it. Pauline is a lovely woman and very nice to deal with but with some of them, it's almost as if they've done you a huge favour for doing their job and that might just be faxing a referral letter to a hospital
    I know they are generally not liked so try not to worry about it too much. The Dr's are great tho, once you get passed the bitter reception staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fefi

Dr. Salem has just left. He was courteous, efficient and friendly. He examined 4 patients in this house, and charged for 2. 100 euro including call out. There was a referral letter, 3 prescriptions and two school letters. Because he doesnt tell you about his life / ask about yours, the visits are very fast. This means he can charge less. Because he's completely focused on fixing the problem, he's getting it right more often.
    Also, for those with a problem "down there" see a gynecologist. Dr Sirhar, also in Newbridge, is great for that sort of thing, and Dr Salem does referrals to her. Its not really a GP thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

This thread has been dormant for 5 months, and along comes a poster with their 1st post praising a doctor from the high heavens. Come on, who You trying to kid, Fefi?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Don't bump old threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement