Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Fulham win the Europa League do they get the final English Europa cup spot?

• 04-05-2010 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

Like UEFA decreed re the champions league, does the same apply ie last eurpean spot go to Fulham and not 7th?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

afai,k they qualify as winners, not via league so liverpool will still get EL with 7th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

But I thought, as with the Champions league, each country has a quota and if the winner comes from the country the place comes from their quota...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

CL winner gets a CL place regardless of where they finish the league

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

mike65 wrote: »
    CL winner gets a CL place regardless of where they finish the league
    I know with Liverpool they made an exception and let them in, but have they since clarified that it's an extra spot or it comes a the expense of whoever finished 4th?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yes I know but it reduces the remaining number of CL places in that league, I'm wondering does the same apply in the Europa?

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    But I thought, as with the Champions league, each country has a quota and if the winner comes from the country the place comes from their quota...?

theres a floating place for winners

if the winner has already qualified it goes to a lesser league based on something or other

the winners dont fall within the country quota, theyre external to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Also to further confuse things:

If Fulham win the UEFA cup....the Burnley will qualify as the next highest in the fair play rankings:

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/464/europa-league/2010/04/29/1899906/burnley-could-qualify-for-europa-league-via-fair-play-league

I've read this before somewhere esle but thats the first link i could find to it...

So essentially there could be: Fulham (winners), 5,6,7 (cos of portsmouth), and Burnley cos of Fair play....From my understanding..I am open to correction

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That sounds about right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Can a championship team enter the EL?

Beekay wrote: »

if they applied for and were granted a license yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Beekay wrote: »

Happened Millwall/Cardiff few seasons ago after FA Cup. Didn't get past qualifying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

They were talking about this on sky sports over the weekend. Apparently the winner spot is not a floating one, it is at the expense of the another team. I.e. England are allowed to have 3 teams. The only exception being the fair play placing.

If Fulham win the cup then the spot for 7th is no longer valid and its only 5th and 6th in the league that get in.

Very similar to what happened in the CL after liverpool jumped up and down. They made the exception once and now its back to 4 only. I'd expect more of Phil Thompson going ballistic though if Fulham do win it. Could be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

iregk wrote: »
    They were talking about this on sky sports over the weekend. Apparently the winner spot is not a floating one, it is at the expense of the another team. I.e. England are allowed to have 3 teams. The only exception being the fair play placing.

If Fulham win the cup then the spot for 7th is no longer valid and its only 5th and 6th in the league that get in.

Even more reason why people should ditch their Sky Sports subscriptions tbh...
    Titleholder

2.06 Unless the UEFA Cup titleholder qualifies for the UEFA Champions League
    through its domestic championship, it is guaranteed a place in the group
    stage of the UEFA Europa League. If the titleholder does qualify for the
    UEFA Europa League through its domestic competitions, the number of
    places to which its national association is entitled in the UEFA Europa
    League does not change. If the UEFA Cup titleholder does not qualify for
    either the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League through its
    domestic competitions, its participation in the UEFA Europa League is not at
    the expense of the contingent of its association.

Those are the regulations from this years competition.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/competitions/UEFACup/84/52/89/845289_DOWNLOAD.pdf

The same will apply for 2010/11.

Advertisement