Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any idea how to get this bass drum sound?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

try a chorus and a phaser over your drums

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Anyone remember from years ago what a chewed & f**ked up tape sounded like in a Walkman?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

bring the pitch down a few notches on your beat, and use plugs like psp vintage warmer(sparingly) with other plugs, like audio damage kombinat, lots of dirt and isolation,

its that well known french electronic beat,imo, hear it being used by justice and all them guys, so if your having hassle creating it you could probably pick it up off a sample library somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭DIRTY69

if you want to do it from scratch:

1) sample kick from viny
    2) layer up with another kick to increase fatness
    3) play with stereo and old tape based effects like phase and chorus to add a stereo field and presence
    4) use a plugin like ableton's Utility to reduce the wideness of the stereo image: something like down to 50%
    5) Careful EQ to get the presence right and cut any unwanted sub bass from the sample
    6) PSP vintage warmer (and a few other compression based plugins) to get a smooth, subtile compression.
    7) EQ again, checking with a Freq Analyser.
    8) Your done!

sample kick from vinyl.

Why would you want anyone to waste their time recording a kick from vinyl?

pointless!

• Advertisement

Dude, why the **** is that pointless?

Most of the french house is taken from vinyl, hence the suggestion.

try some contribution instead of critizism tbh.

LMAO, angry at life much ?

as regards contribution, look at the post above your own first, ie; try reading a thread fully next time.

most french stuff is NOT taken from vinyl. bring me some evidence to show this .. the music and beats itself might sound and be perceived like they are vinyl but they are certainly not sampled. your trying to tell me justice, daft punk and whoever else go around sampling vinyl all day, yeah.

Whats Vinyl?

LMAO, angry at life much ?

as regards contribution, look at the post above your own first, ie; try reading a thread fully next time.

most french stuff is NOT taken from vinyl. bring me some evidence to show this .. the music and beats itself might sound and be perceived like they are vinyl but they are certainly not sampled. your trying to tell me justice, daft punk and whoever else go around sampling vinyl all day, yeah.

Fine. Didn't appreciate the attitude. Fairly dismissive of suggestions, calling them out as "pointless!". Its a bit rude don't you think?

Anyway, a better suggestion that vinyl for that matter is Goldbaby. They do good old drum machine beats recorded to vinyl and to tape. Some great free packs as well.

i only really listned to the first video now.

it doesnt really sound like the drums are doing anything special.it seems like its everything else thats effected no?(with phaser,filter,chorus)

as for sampling vinyl,with the wealth of sample libraries out there theres no need to sample anymore as its done for you and you can layer up as many drum hits as you like to make your ideal kick.

also ableton has a vinly effect if he really wants that grainy vinyl feel:p

just to point out,sampling is still dont from vinyl(like on disco,funky house stuff but it would cost a bit to do it from scratch( proper needles,turntable,nice soundcard)so its probably out fo the question for the op

• Advertisement

ICN wrote: »
    Whats Vinyl?

its a fancy name for floor covering,more commonly refered to as Lino:D

seannash wrote: »
    its a fancy name for floor covering,more commonly refered to as Lino:D

http://www.linoritchie.ie/index.php

ICN wrote: »

oh that is good:D:pac::pac:

i always loved this one

lionel-rich-tea.jpg

Lionel Rich Tea

DIRTY69 wrote: »
    Fine. Didn't appreciate the attitude. Fairly dismissive of suggestions, calling them out as "pointless!". Its a bit rude don't you think?

Anyway, a better suggestion that vinyl for that matter is Goldbaby. They do good old drum machine beats recorded to vinyl and to tape. Some great free packs as well.

I wouldn't say rude, i could easily say the same to you as regards rude for not reading a thread fully, but hey lets not argue over peti sh1te ?

i just expressed it was pointless, well ...because it is. firstly you need to have a collection of vinyl, then you gotta find one and pick one that has a suitable beat, then you gotta record a section and find a part that isnt destroyed in static and crackles. plus keeping into account that sinces its from a record its mastered too, so you have compression on it and other mastering tools. now its gonna go into your daw and be reprocessed all over again.

i just think it would be a lot easier with my method above, its very clean and straight forward.cheers.

Merely made a suggestion. Whatever works at the end of the day.

This has turned into a beautiful thread.. :p

DIRTY69 wrote: »
    Merely made a suggestion. Whatever works at the end of the day.

yep,true and it probably to some degree is valid but you have to take into account that most of us on here are beroom wariors and as such we work on a budget.

we could all recommend the ridiculously expensive outboard gear you'd find in big recording studios but none of us on here would have a budget for that

its almost like telling the op to hire a drmmer and go to a recording studio and record drum hits(thats extreme i know)

not doubting your method wouldnt work by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭oootini

what on earth is wrong with recording some choice kick on a cool record you own? easy lads. go buy a ****ing record player.

oootini wrote: »
    what on earth is wrong with recording some choice kick on a cool record you own? easy lads. go buy a ****ing record player.

what about buying nice needles too and then a good soundcard.

oh look a money tree(runs over to it)

what about buying nice needles too and then a good soundcard.

oh look a money tree(runs over to it)

LOL :pac:

• Advertisement

what on earth is wrong with recording some choice kick on a cool record you own?

absolutely nothing at all, its just not practical as regards being a home producer making a simple french style electronic beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I agree.
    It's totally impractical to be asking the OP to use various plugin's and ableton.
    Just sample stuff that you like the sound of. Put on the vinyl, press record, cut it, maybe filter it slightly, done.
    I agree there's no evidence to suggest the french producers didn't all sample vinyl. In fact most dance music is sample based.

Or vice versa.

Ye're talking rubbish. Just because boards.ie is a predominantly "software and software only" site, don't assume everyone's doing the same things as you, in the same ways as you. Both methods are different and valid.

The level of sneering towards non-computer-based producers and dj's on here is crazy. It you have a method of doing something, and it sounds good, then thats the right way.

It's that simple. Doesn't matter if it's all in fruity loops or all through an MPC and records. The result is what counts.

I agree.
    It's totally impractical to be asking the OP to use various plugin's and ableton.
    Just sample stuff that you like the sound of. Put on the vinyl, press record, cut it, maybe filter it slightly, done.
    I agree there's no evidence to suggest the french producers didn't all sample vinyl. In fact most dance music is sample based.

Or vice versa.

Ye're talking rubbish. Just because boards.ie is a predominantly "software and software only" site, don't assume everyone's doing the same things as you, in the same ways as you. Both methods are different and valid.

The level of sneering towards non-computer-based producers and dj's on here is crazy. It you have a method of doing something, and it sounds good, then thats the right way.

It's that simple. Doesn't matter if it's all in fruity loops or all through an MPC and records. The result is what counts.

why didnt he tell him to look for the Wav of it or a 320 mp3.

even if he does posess a turntable,good needles,nice soundcard.

like i said we could tell him to hire a drummer etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭oootini

why didnt he tell him to look for the Wav of it or a 320 mp3.

even if he does posess a turntable,good needles,nice soundcard.

like i said we could tell him to hire a drummer etc etc etc

nash you big thick, stop splitting hairs. all you had to take from his post was the word SAMPLE. <<SAMPLE>>

you could do it easily from a wav of a track, a cd, a record, whatever. It's all the same thing. stop being such a complete twat.

Point here is: There are lots of different ways to skin a cat.

Thank F*** its only just advice on the different ways of doing something, rather than forcing people to do stuff outside of their realistic abilities.

Please put the Needles & bloated sample libraries down before someone gets virtually hurt.

:rolleyes: :pac:

nash you big thick, stop splitting hairs. all you had to take from his post was the word SAMPLE. <<SAMPLE>>

you could do it easily from a wav of a track, a cd, a record, whatever. It's all the same thing. stop being such a complete twat.

ha ha yeah right he told the OP to sample a kick from Vinyl.<<Vinyl>>

so if the op hadnt have recieved any other advice he would have been thinking its the only way for him to get that sound.
    we dont know the OP's experience

So he could have "easily"sampled the kick from a vinyl yeah?

all that equipment to do so is just lying around.

read over all the posts i made in the thread and youll see i gave him good advice

couldnt be arsed calling you a name even though doing so would make my reply look more awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

If you look at the op first post he was asking how to replicate the sound in a programme like Ableton or Reason. It's fair to assume he doesn't have much in the way of hardware. I can't see how turning this into a debate about the merits of hard synths vs. soft synths is going to help anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭trippertds

cheers for all the replies, wasn't expecting that much!

Liked the vinyl approach, don't have great crystal-clear recording gear but that might give some character. i suppose not many people would go through that much hassle for a bass drum sound, which would give it a bit of originality

Chloroplast's idea is more along the lines i was thinking but its all good

thanks again, sorry for the international incident i seem to have caused!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

If you look at the op first post he was asking how to replicate the sound in a programme like Ableton or Reason. It's fair to assume he doesn't have much in the way of hardware. I can't see how turning this into a debate about the merits of hard synths vs. soft synths is going to help anyone.

A) nobody was talking about hard synths, soft synths or any type of synths
    B) "any other program" includes freeware like audacity. You can literally plug into your computer's line in and record. No need for expensive anything. If he had any playback device with a line-out it would suffice. Or sample within the computer, by stealing the MP3, and loading that into audacity etc.

I actually am flabbergasted at this board sometimes. Ableton, pro-tools, cubase, logic and reason are all ralatively new tools. There ARE ways of doing things without them.

Getting hung up on a format has to be one of the most petty things imaginable. When fans of vinyl express views in this manner people cry bloody murder.

"Thats a pointless way of doing it" etc. Wow. I should stop doing things this way so.

As should:
    DJ shadow
    Madlib
    Cut Chemist
    Numark
    Cio D'or
    Legowelt etc etc etc etc

Talk about one track mind.

• Advertisement

B) "any other program" includes freeware like audacity. You can literally plug into your computer's line in and record.
    just to keep this going:D
    wouldnt sound the best going through the inbuilt soundcards which has ****ty converters.

but i guess we've exasperated all possibilities at this stage and its abit irrelevent.

but variety is the spice of life after all:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement