Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any idea how to get this bass drum sound?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

trippertds wrote: »
    cheers for all the replies, wasn't expecting that much!

Liked the vinyl approach, don't have great crystal-clear recording gear but that might give some character. i suppose not many people would go through that much hassle for a bass drum sound, which would give it a bit of originality

Chloroplast's idea is more along the lines i was thinking but its all good

thanks again, sorry for the international incident i seem to have caused!

Brilliant!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭DIRTY69

Theres a fecking ridiculous about of slating that goes on here from people with similar interests that do things differently or with different gear. its a bit of a joke. at the end of the day everyone has their own suggestions and they are ALL equally valid no matter what the hell your using, its missing the point. Seems like you get into an argument for simply trying to help a brother out!

As for the whole "we're bedroom producers and we can't afford it man" debate: f* that! I am a bedroom producer, and i happen to know a turnable is €100 fecking quid so i don't agree with that for a second. anyway I am bored of the analog vs digital debate, gear discussions are for people who don't know how to make music :P

I'd love to chat to loads of you guys on here about tunes and production, if it wasn't for a few idiots spoiling the party by being rude or dismissive of anything that they are unfamiliar with! thats my 2 cents for what its worth :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

DIRTY69 wrote: »
    Theres a fecking ridiculous about of slating that goes on here from people with similar interests that do things differently or with different gear. its a bit of a joke. at the end of the day everyone has their own suggestions and they are ALL equally valid no matter what the hell your using, its missing the point. Seems like you get into an argument for simply trying to help a brother out!

As for the whole "we're bedroom producers and we can't afford it man" debate: f* that! I am a bedroom producer, and i happen to know a turnable is €100 fecking quid so i don't agree with that for a second. anyway I am bored of the analog vs digital debate, gear discussions are for people who don't know how to make music :P

I'd love to chat to loads of you guys on here about tunes and production, if it wasn't for a few idiots spoiling the party by being rude or dismissive of anything that they are unfamiliar with! thats my 2 cents for what its worth :rolleyes:

yeah 100 quid then a decent needle.some people dont have turntables at the ready mate or 100 quid for that matter in order to get a kick.

by all means use whatever you want or have but if we read the op's first question he wants to knopw how to do it using ableton

i agree with you about gear discussions being for people who cant make music and alot of waffling goes on but discussions always have two sides and it only turns into an argument when someone decides to throw there toys out of the pram because the other person doesnt like there viewpoint.

instead of accepting the other arguments they decide to get mad and call names.

now im not gonna tell you to join in some discussions and **** because i couldnt really give a toss what people do on this forum but if you want a real super positive friendly forum there are plenty out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Record with sample = €12
    Turntable = €100+
    Good soundcard = €300+

Better sounding Wav/FLAC download = under €5

Someone please explain where the competition is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭DIRTY69

Stick with that then I suppose. I am done with this thread, gonna try and find a production forum some place else methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

your trying to tell me justice, daft punk and whoever else go around sampling vinyl all day, yeah.

how the hell did nobody answer this earlier???
    have you ever listened to justice and daft punk? they're sample based artists. and they rip from vinyl most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

jtsuited wrote: »
    how the hell did nobody answer this earlier???
    have you ever listened to justice and daft punk? they're sample based artists. and they rip from vinyl most of the time.

Wow, I never realised it was so blatant. That's gas...

Wow, I never realised it was so blatant. That's gas...

Not a rare thing. Prodigy do the same thing. The only big original bits in their tracks are the synths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ah tbf prodigy do it well.

daft punk are just cowboys. i remember when all the daft punk revelations happened a lot of people defended them saying 'well like taking samples from stuff isn't new'. I wish that that prodigy video had been around to show them how it can actually be done in a creative manner.

oh and btw, I sample kick drums from records. oh and most of the vengeance sample library kicks are vinyl rips.

And the ONE thing people tend to sample is kick drums. Mainly because you're able to get a clean rip of them, and because most likely they've been sampled from somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Guys, nobody's saying the ableton answer's wrong: it's perfectly valid, and a great solution (and probably best soluted to the OP, in fact), but giving out that another way of working's "pointless" is pretty odd IMO.

It was AN answer. Maybe not the best, maybe not the most suitable, maybe not you're way of doing things, but it was AN answer.

All I came in here to say is: no functional method is "wrong". If pointfulness were a benchmark, we'd all be striving to create number one pop records, but the majority of us are not.

Opinionated is one thing, shouting people down is another.

• Advertisement

Record with sample = €12
    Turntable = €100+
    Good soundcard = €300+

Better sounding Wav/FLAC download = under €5

Someone please explain where the competition is?

If you're talking about the OP, no competition, this way is obviously easiest.
    If you're talking about me, personally, it's like this:
    Turntable: €100 (€0 for me)
    MPC: €400 (€0 for me)
    Mixer: €100 (€0 for me)

PC: €500
    Ableton: €500
    Good soundcard: €300+

so you see its not so straightforward for everybody.

If you're talking about the OP, no competition, this way is obviously easiest.
    If you're talking about me, personally, it's like this:
    Turntable: €100 (€0 for me)
    MPC: €400 (€0 for me)
    Mixer: €100 (€0 for me)

PC: €500
    Ableton: €500
    Good soundcard: €300+

so you see its not so straightforward for everybody.

I was talking about the OP. I'm not saying vinyl is a bad method, but the OP asked the best way to do it with Reason/Ableton (can't remember which). It has to be said that someone suggesting recording a vinyl in this situation deserves a bit of guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Lets just Kill everybody!

Failing that - There needs to be an actual deathmatch between all the PC & Mac Guys, the Analog & Digital heads & the Sample's & the Samplers.

Lets sort this out once & for all.. :pac:

And definitely -

no-prisoners-480.gif

but the OP asked the best way to do it with Reason/Ableton (can't remember which). It has to be said that someone suggesting recording a vinyl in this situation deserves a bit of guff.

If you say so.
    How dare they.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Opinionated is one thing, shouting people down is another.

just so im clear am i one of th shouting them down guys?:confused:

seannash wrote: »
    just so im clear am i one of th shouting them down guys?:confused:

Nah I wouldn't say so sean, I'd say the person who wrote
    "Why would you want anyone to waste their time recording a kick from vinyl?
    pointless!"
    possibly was. Maybe they were just a troll. Who knows.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement