Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a mini cooper

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Moorea8 wrote: »
    Im thinking about buying a '99 or '98 mini cooper sportpack and was wondering if anybody han any advice.
    What kind of mileage will those engines last to? And is it just a bad idea if theres any rust at all?

I was looking at this one. What do you think?

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/26/57880826.html

It certainly looks clean, but Id imagine there is rust someplace on it unless its had some bodywork done on it. Rust on a Mini is BAAAAAAAAAD, but your not gunna find one without it unless you want to spend serious money..

Id suggest that you look at some of the owners sites, as there is better value to be had than that one IMO.

Also Its been noted that the later minis such as the one above are not as good quality as some of the earlier ones. Engines being weak and poor grades on steel used in the body.

Be prepared to spend alot on maintenance if you use it everyday, they are still essentially a 50 year old design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

That is one fine looking car alrite, if your going looking at it
    have a good look under the sills, jacking points and arches.
    Had two mini's they were quite prone to rusting there.
    Also there an awkward enough car to work on, especially
    on the engine, very tight.
    But still there a great car to drive and would love one in the morning.
    One thats got a history and a bit of money spend on it and its as good
    as any car on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Minis are great fun, but Kona and Muckie are on the money. I'm shopping around for one to restore at the moment to go with my 05 works S, and there's so much to take in, and so much to be wary of - but it's hard to find any other car which gives you so much fun, and attracts so much attention.

Kona's also right about hitting up the owners forums. The one I run is in my signature, and there's always something for sale in there. The others are :

http://www.irishminis.ie - plenty for sale there too.
    http://www.westernminis.com - new club who's website is getting off the ground.

The other thing you should come along to is the National Mini Day in Clarinbridge in June. It's usually the largest assembly of all Minis from 1959-2010 and there's always a few for sale there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Don't buy a Mini unless you have a garage to put it in :)

I'm speaking as someone who has a '98 Mini Cooper with the John Cooper 'S' Works installed who is now trying to sell it :D It needs work though, so it will be going for about half that mint one is going for I think.

Rust, no matter how well someone looks after one, rust is gonna be on it somewhere if its an everyday driver. Check everywhere, around the windows, front/rear subframes, around all windows, check for bubbles of rust on every panel and at the bottom of the doors.

Miniresourse.com is a great reference point, better than the general motors forum on boards.
    They even have a buyers guide to help yea!
    http://miniresource.com/guide01.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'm shopping around for one to restore at the moment to go with my 05 works S

Any thoughts of buying a '98 coop 's' ? :)

• Advertisement

I wish Kerbdog! I've found a 74 in a shed which has been partially prepped for paint. Choosing a colour would be tough though, especially when I can mix up anything!!

The engine's shocking in it, so I've 2 choices. Put a 1340 with a supercharger in there, or ... and here's the weird one, go fully electric with the drivetrain - it's not that difficult to do.

I wish Kerbdog! I've found a 74 in a shed which has been partially prepped for paint. Choosing a colour would be tough though, especially when I can mix up anything!!

The engine's shocking in it, so I've 2 choices. Put a 1340 with a supercharger in there, or ... and here's the weird one, go fully electric with the drivetrain - it's not that difficult to do.

How about a 7port twin turbo?;)

Whats the electric drivetrain? what motor would you use?

Most likely a forklift electric motor. It's not going to be for landspeed records, just for getting up to urban speeds.

7 port turbo eh ... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Moorea8

Yeh Im going to go look at that one i think. Is it just one to avoid if theres any rust at all, even just a small bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

i had 3 minis a few years back and recommend you get in contact with ger from miniclub.ie. his user name is irmilin. he runs a classic mini workshop in balincollig cork. he always has a couple for sale or we will happily talk to you and give you all the advise you need. pm me and ill give you his number.

• Advertisement

Moorea8 wrote: »
    Yeh Im going to go look at that one i think. Is it just one to avoid if theres any rust at all, even just a small bit?

Not at all, even the newest mini is 10 years old, they will have rust, no doubt about it, its where it is and how advanced it is that will hurt you.

You should bring somebody who knows these cars, very easy to get stung with a lemon.

Most likely a forklift electric motor. It's not going to be for landspeed records, just for getting up to urban speeds.

7 port turbo eh ... :pac:

Yea some guy in england built a 7 port twin turbo. Very tastey and gives you the power without a engine change!

Holy moly, any links Kona??

Hope you have feck all to do for the next 3 hours :p

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=7430&st=540

Its gone from 8 port to 7 port twin turbo to 16v supercharged 1480. Guy has serious amount of cash.

Advertisement