Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Religion and Expulsion

Options
  • 04-05-2010 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

My school does not offer religion as an exam subject, but we are made to go into 3 classes a week of, basically, being told "If you don't believe in god and jesus, you're a bad person and you will get aids".

While I am a catholic, I hate this narrow minded approach, and the fact that I could be getting some studying done instead of being spoon fed bullsh*t seriously annoys me.

I know for a fact that the other religion teachers would be letting their classes study and talk etc. if she didn't insist on teaching the actual subject, because I've heard all 3 of them say just that.

I tried to negotiate my way out of the class so I could study, however it ended up with my deputy head (who dislikes me for some petty reasons I won't go into) telling me she doesn't care what I think, the school has a christian ethos and if I didn't want to go into the class I should find another school, end of discussion. 2 months before I sit my leaving, with the nearest other school being a good 8 miles away.

Upon further research, I found this:
    BUNREACHT NA hÉIREANN, Article 44, Section 2, Subsection 4:

Legislation providing State aid for schools shall not discriminate between schools under the management of different religious denominations, nor be such as to affect prejudicially the right of any child to attend a school receiving public money without attending religious instruction at that school.

Now I would like to assume that this supersedes the school's policies etc. but you never know.

I am 18 if that changes anything.

My question: If I handed this to my head/deputy head and asked(demanded :p) to be allowed to leave the class, would she be able to expel me/discipline me in any way, and would she have to let me out of the class or would school policy overrule this?

I am not certain if there is anything about this in the school policy, however knowing just how much this dep. head dislikes me and how petty she can be sometimes, I wouldn't be surprised if she edited it in just for me.

Also I don't want to hear how great religion class is or why I should stay.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

My school does not offer religion as an exam subject, but we are made to go into 3 classes a week of, basically, being told "If you don't believe in god and jesus, you're a bad person and you will get aids".

While I am a catholic, I hate this narrow minded approach, and the fact that I could be getting some studying done instead of being spoon fed bullsh*t seriously annoys me.

I know for a fact that the other religion teachers would be letting their classes study and talk etc. if she didn't insist on teaching the actual subject, because I've heard all 3 of them say just that.

I tried to negotiate my way out of the class so I could study, however it ended up with my deputy head (who dislikes me for some petty reasons I won't go into) telling me she doesn't care what I think, the school has a christian ethos and if I didn't want to go into the class I should find another school, end of discussion. 2 months before I sit my leaving, with the nearest other school being a good 8 miles away.

Upon further research, I found this:

Now I would like to assume that this supersedes the school's policies etc. but you never know.

I am 18 if that changes anything.

My question: If I handed this to my head/deputy head and asked(demanded :p) to be allowed to leave the class, would she be able to expel me/discipline me in any way, and would she have to let me out of the class or would school policy overrule this?

I am not certain if there is anything about this in the school policy, however knowing just how much this dep. head dislikes me and how petty she can be sometimes, I wouldn't be surprised if she edited it in just for me.

Also I don't want to hear how great religion class is or why I should stay.

Cheers.

Nope, they cant. Just quote that to them and theres not a thing they can do.. They probably wont take you out, the teacher will ignore you.

WARNING: You may get aids, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

I'd say just go the whole nine yards and blow the **** outta that school o' yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

stainluss wrote: »

WARNING: You may get aids, though.

For realsies?! :P

I'd say just go the whole nine yards and blow the **** outta that school o' yours.

I totally would, but they'd tell the press I was a muslim extremist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 siobhanher

In our school you can only get an exemption from religion if you haven't been baptised. Such crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Just stop being so argumentative and just get on with school, you dont have to pay attention in the class......

I know you'd like to be studying it, but if they let you out of the class, they'll have to let everyone out, and they wont want to do it.

If you get you parents to give your principle a ring, you could probably get out of it, handing them a bit of the constitution will just result in you getting it thrown back at you.

I know you're 18 too, but it's not really your call in school, as much as it should be >_<

• Advertisement

I have tried to just go down the back on stay quiet and do my work, but she brings me up to the very front and takes my books off me.

The principle apparently never has the time to talk to anyone's parents, strange how our old one had plenty of time... Anyway she's never co operative when I do manage to get a word in with her. Last time we actually managed to ask her to get something sorted she left it for over a year and I ended up having to get it done at my own cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'd second what Fad said. How much time and energy have you spent looking this up, posting it on here and generally being argumentative TWO months before your Leaving Cert? You go to a school with a Christian ethos and just before you finish in it, you've suddenly noticed that you have to do Religion and object to it

I really can't understand why the Deputy Head doesn't like you if you're wasting her time with this crap:rolleyes:

Get your parents in if it's such a big deal to you and sort out your priorities.

You'd do well to remember that this is the school who may be providing you with a reference in the future.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

we had this same issue at the start of the year. 3 Religion classes a week and no exam at the end of it. The religion teacher just said I'm not going to make ye do something ye don't want to do when you have more important things you could be studying for.

And btw, I'm pretty certain the Constitution overrides school policy:rolleyes:

deemark wrote: »
    I'd second what Fad said. How much time and energy have you spent looking this up, posting it on here and generally being argumentative TWO months before your Leaving Cert? You go to a school with a Christian ethos and just before you finish in it, you've suddenly noticed that you have to do Religion and object to it

I really can't understand why the Deputy Head doesn't like you if you're wasting her time with this crap:rolleyes:

Get your parents in if it's such a big deal to you and sort out your priorities.

You'd do well to remember that this is the school who may be providing you with a reference in the future.

FYI I've been at them since the start of 6th year over this, along with the rest of my year. I'm only seriously putting effort into this because in the long run I will get more study time out of it. That took barely an hour to find.

If you must know, my dep. head doesn't like me because I didn't get on well with my semi insane English teacher throughout 5th year, and they just happen to be best buds. Stop assuming you know everything about my situation.

I'm a generally argumentative person, and I know it. In fact I plan to study law. However I wouldn't be nearly as bad as this if they weren't trying to force feed me crap for 2 hours a week, and then threatening me with expulsion for trying to get out of it.

If you had read my last post, you would see how involving my parents would not make a difference. The principle doesn't give a flying f*ck and the dep. head would say the exact same thing to them.
    dannym08 wrote: »
    And btw, I'm pretty certain the Constitution overrides school policy:rolleyes:

Like I said, you never know in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭MsDarcy

Op, had a similiar situation when I was in school ( it was a presentation sisters) had a particular teacher for Junior cert who is a totally devout catholic, she drove the class mental and we always were fighting back with her. She refused to even entertain ideas about contraception, abortion and all those things, When it came to fifth year we had her for religion again ,this time without the exam at the end which I know can be fustrating. Like yourselves our class was the only actual religious class ( we could spend a whole class just doing the rosary) while the other religion teachers were doing interesting things like death row, abortion etc and got to watch films like the green mile (it wasn't suitable for us :rolleyes: ) and we hated her still for it but there was no getting around her. In the end we just embraced her and had a great laugh in the class discussing things , she was a lovely women who was genuinely a really devout Catholic and who only wanted the best for us, she was constantly saying prayers for us and giving us holy medals and water.

Op I think you should just humour your teacher and take your religion class as a mental break from the rest of the day, the Leaving Cert is head wrecking enough!

• Advertisement

MsDarcy wrote: »
    Op I think you should just humour your teacher and take your religion class as a mental break from the rest of the day, the Leaving Cert is head wrecking enough!

No offence, but stuff that...

It would never be a mental break because this teacher considers the religion course more important than my exam results and tries to shove catholic propaganda down my neck for 40 minutes. She then denies that she's trying to convert me (she thinks I'm an agnostic) and the second I try to do something really constructive in the class i.e. study down the back instead of getting wound up listening to her bullcrap, she adopts the policy of making sure I'm up the very front every day and takes my books off me, and then gets my deputy head to threaten me with expulsion if I don't swallow it all.

We'd never be "having a laugh" in the class because we're made to sit in silence and listen to her go on about the sinners, gays and how they're doomed to contract every single STD in existance but catholic people having unprotected sex are perfectly safe because the pope says it's ok, and how abortion is absolutely terrible and can never, ever be of benefit to anyone.

EDIT: This is the reason I said in the OP that I didn't want to hear about how great the class was etc.

No offence, but stuff that...

It would never be a mental break because this teacher considers the religion course more important than my exam results and tries to shove catholic propaganda down my neck for 40 minutes. She then denies that she's trying to convert me (she thinks I'm an agnostic) and the second I try to do something really constructive in the class i.e. study down the back instead of getting wound up listening to her bullcrap, she adopts the policy of making sure I'm up the very front every day and takes my books off me, and then gets my deputy head to threaten me with expulsion if I don't swallow it all.

We'd never be "having a laugh" in the class because we're made to sit in silence and listen to her go on about the sinners, gays and how they're doomed to contract every single STD in existance but catholic people having unprotected sex are perfectly safe because the pope says it's ok, and how abortion is absolutely terrible and can never, ever be of benefit to anyone.

EDIT: This is the reason I said in the OP that I didn't want to hear about how great the class was etc.

You just need to take a different approach, pretend you buy all of it, play along with everything she says....I have to do it with a few family members and it does nothing but amuse me >_>

I personally find all that shíte kinda hilarious, and pity anyone who actually believes in it. She's wrong on the catholics being okay having unprotected sex front......(S'not okay to do out of marriage really in the church's eyes.)

Others have tried it to no avail :(
    Sorry that was my mistake, it's meant to say couples. Still unsafe if one of them has already contracted something, or if one if them is ever unfaithful.

Anyhoo I think this was the wrong forum to post in :P

Others have tried it to no avail :(
    Sorry that was my mistake, it's meant to say couples. Still unsafe if one of them has already contracted something, or if one if them is ever unfaithful.

Anyhoo I think this was the wrong forum to post in :P

Obviously proper catholic couples wouldn't be unfaithful :)

I'd imagine that's what she's getting at. Anyway, in a "real" catholic relationship, sex is purely functional :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

in fairness, if you go to a school with a catholic ethos you must expect to do religion classes whether you like it or not.....yeah i know its crap but just get on with it. We all do. Instead of getting in fights with your principal, and looking up the constitution, you could just zone out for the 40 minutes and not listen.

The year is nearly over anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

And here I was, feeling all uppity about there being crucifixes in every classroom. This is just plain creepy. Almost straight-out bloody theocracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

OP you're forgetting a few things in the middle of all your whining. 1. Schools have to timetable religion so you can stop giving out about having three classes a week. 2. Your teacher is paid to teach religion, that's her job. There are enough people posting on boards complaining about teachers who don't teach their classes and you're complaining about a teacher who is doing what she is supposed to do. 3. Principals can't let students wander the school willy nilly when they're supposed to be in class under the supervision of a teacher. 4. You don't seem to have an issue with religion as such only that it's wasting time that you could be studying in. I wonder would you have the same argument about a PE or computer class? They're not exam subjects either. If you don't want to be in class stay at home and study. LC students can big the biggest pain in the arse at this time of year thinking that the rules of the school don't apply as they only have a month left, when in reality they cause more disruption than any other year group with their 'i'm not going to class, i'm studying stance'

OP you're forgetting a few things in the middle of all your whining. 1. Schools have to timetable religion so you can stop giving out about having three classes a week. 2. Your teacher is paid to teach religion, that's her job. There are enough people posting on boards complaining about teachers who don't teach their classes and you're complaining about a teacher who is doing what she is supposed to do. 3. Principals can't let students wander the school willy nilly when they're supposed to be in class under the supervision of a teacher. 4. You don't seem to have an issue with religion as such only that it's wasting time that you could be studying in. I wonder would you have the same argument about a PE or computer class? They're not exam subjects either. If you don't want to be in class stay at home and study. LC students can big the biggest pain in the arse at this time of year thinking that the rules of the school don't apply as they only have a month left, when in reality they cause more disruption than any other year group with their 'i'm not going to class, i'm studying stance'

Actually you're forgetting a few things: you haven't got a clue what my school is like, and you don't know what the senior staff are like. You don't know what my teachers are like. You don't have any idea what kind of position me and others are put into in this religion class. You don't realise that I have a close relative that actually teaches in the school, who also thinks the situation is ridiculous.

1. I'm giving out about the fact that for 3 classes a week I, along with the rest of my class, am subject to an earful of absolute bull****.
    2. As I said before, this woman isn't doing her job. she's not teaching the religion class, she's trying to convince us to be anti gay, anti abortion numbskulls who let the church do their thinking.
    3. Funny, because there are other students who are allowed to do exactly that. Once the teacher doesn't care and isn't whining at the head/deputy head, they don't give a flying f*ck. I sit by myself in the assembly hall during Irish class as I don't study it. I've never had a word said to me about it.
    4. We were made to sacrifice our P.E. class at the start of 6th year, as proof of this I posted in a thread about it a number of months ago if you want to go back through my posts. We haven't been given a computer class since 2nd year.

As for your "pain in the hole" attitude, this is an exam which can affect our career prospects for years. Compare that with the teacher looking down on us and viewing our need to actually do well in these exams as a trifling matter - as I have been told by teachers many many times: "It makes no difference to me, I'm still going to get paid at the end of the month" Which IMO is a poor attitude to take as a teacher. I don't give a crap about much apart from this exam at the moment, I am sacrificing enough as it is, I am not going to let some self important cow detract from my studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I don't give a crap about much apart from this exam at the moment, I am sacrificing enough as it is, I am not going to let some self important cow detract from my studies.

But you are, by spending time on here and in school complaining about her:eek:. A poster doesn't have to go to your school to figure out that you're wasting time complaining about your time being wasted. It's three classes (two hours?) out of a whole week. Get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    Actually, modern Catholic doctrine, correctly understood and taught, is not anti-gay (despite the last Pope reversing the trend towards a gentler more accepting attitude when he described homosexuality as an "objective disorder") ... it is anti- the *practice* of homosexual sex, as it does not lead to procreation, in much the same way as it is anti-contraception (or indeed, anti- sex before marriage, though the reason there isn't about not leading to procreation, as obviously it sometimes does! :D)

I'm not being an apologist for Catholic doctrine here, indeed, when it comes to the whole subject of sexuality there is very little on which I could agree with the church ... I'm simply pointing out that no teacher should be going into a classroom and promoting homophobia in the name of Catholic doctrine. Catholic doctrine in fact insists, despite its reservations about both the orientation and especially the sexual acts involved, that gays "must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity".

OP, all that aside, simple question ... if you feel that strongly about it, why did you go to a Catholic school in the first place?

Actually, another simple question if I may ... do you really feel that starting a fight with the school with *one month* to go before the Leaving Cert is really going to benefit you in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I understand where your coming from.Its the principal of the thing.You went to the school , knowing that Religion was a class you had to take.Thats fine but if your under pressure then, skip it.I totally agree with you.If it was me, I would write to the school, stating the consitution, and say while you understand the schools policy you feel your time would be better spent studying English ETC.If you go in fighting they will not entertain you.After your leaving cert, it is worth writing to the board of management outlineing the difficulties this has caused in, and hopefully they will have a change of policy for next year.
    Best of luck with the exam.Cathy

I haven't had the chance to do anything because she's been away for the last few days, so we've been having free classes.

I am attending a catholic school for three reasons:

1. I am catholic.
    2. It is the nearest school by far.
    3. As I said I have a relative who teaches there.

However I should not have to justify why I am attending a public school.

I'm not wasting study time here, because I only come on boards/facebook etc. during breaks.

Thankyou Cathy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

OP, that sounds terrible.

Dreadful that in this day and age there are Still religious bible-basher teachers forcing their views on young people. Shameful, really. It is true however that catholic ethos state funded schools have been allowing this for years, and it is very much the norm in many catholic schools.
    Your location says you live in ''the wesht'' I presume you mean the west of Ireland? A previous poster suggested you move schools but being from a rural backround myself I understand there is little choice and most rural schools posess a strong catholic ethos. (if you are in a rural western region) So I sympathize if this is the case.

It is very wrong that a teacher in a position of authority should shove their personal opinions down pupils throats. Even if the school has a catholic ethos the religion teacher has no business interfering with your personal beliefs. Making you sit at the top of class in the hopes to hammer catholicism into you because, according to her, you are !shock horror! agnostic is not on. It is none of her business if you are catholic, a buddhist, or a satan worshipper!

I understand you are angered by the principle of the thing, and rightly so. But this is not your battle OP. The problem is much greater than you, your principal, and catholic teacher. Religion has no place in schools.
    You want to do law? well you should make sure you get it and maybe one day you can campaign to take religion out of schools.
    In order to do that, and make sure you get your points for law, you should not get tangled up in this mess. It has the potential to turn ugly with your principal etc. You don't need this stress before your leaving cert. It could escalate.
    The principal won't give a damn about the constitution. He/she will most likely laugh at you. Talk to your parents about it and see if they will go to the principal.

I'm sorry you have to put up with this so close to your leaving cert. If nothing works, go to the classes and write really important formulas/quotes on your hand. You can sneak glances at these and repeat them to yourself in your head over and over. Or go to the bathrooms and spend 10 mins there learning, go back to class and repeat (In your head) what you just learnt. You can be reciting quotes in your head while shes rabbiting on about contraception. Just drown her out with shakespeare/maths formulae! Where theres a will theres a way!

Don't start an argument with the teacher/principal over this. Ask your parents to take care of it. It is indeed very wrong but not worth a huge fight/trouble so close to your leaving cert.

Good luck in your exams, I wish you the very best! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Just my opinion but I'd not have chosen to attend your school if I held your views. Catholic school=catholic ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

It's a school.

You can't just throw the Constitution at it! If the school allows one student to leave religion class, it will have to adopt a policy of doing so. If this is contrary to the school's ethos, it won't.

You might try to come to a private accommodation with the school, but I guarantee you the Constitution is not a get out of class clause. That's just fundamentally not how it works.

Just go to class like every other student. It is an unfortunate fact of life that you will, from time to time, be subjected to things you don't enjoy or that annoy you. Don't try to cut and run - deal with it like the rest of the world does.

Cheers for the advice redherring!

gaeilgegrinds

How was I supposed to know they didn't offer it at Leaving Cert?
    How was I supposed to know I'd end up with a teacher like this?

I couldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    I agree with you, Ev, tbh ... there is a tension and a disconnect between the two sides of the teaching that only a Jesuit could really get his head around!

My point was more that there has been *some* progress in how the church thinks about homosexuality, despite some setbacks under the last papacy, but that is often not reflected, or indeed understood, by the ordinary Catholic, or even by those who teach Catholic religious doctrine.

Often, in fact, people justify their own inherent homophobia by reference to Catholic teachings, choosing to ignore the fact that those teachings have moved on over the years. That's always sad, but it's especially sad when a teacher does it, and promulgates their own attitudes to the next generation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Catholic schools are NOT public schools - they are privately owned. VECs are public schools.

If you don't want the old time religion and all the nonsense that goes with it, go to a VEC run school. The sooner the Church is taken out of every part of Irish education the better.

Remember this in a few years if you have kids and start playing the nationwide 'I have to get them baptised so I can get them into a school', regardless of whether you actually believe any of it.

Advertisement