Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard Rí Hotel..

• 04-05-2010 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭

Just spotted there's a Facebook Group looking for the hotel to be demolished before the Tall Ships in 2011, (Link Here)

There's some photos up on the group of the place being wrecked and some lads having a session up there, there's also some recent photos of the Hotel as well, I know the McEniff Group sold it on, but I'm wondering is the new group gone to the wall and waiting for NAMA to take it on or has anyone any light to shed on the matter ?

It's certainly an eyesore and just adding to the degradation on that side of the river.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Hadn't realised it had gotten so bad,
    Something seriously needs to be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

They should knock it down & put a park or something there until it is ready to be developed .. looks shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

they should do a lot of tings.. but it comes back to money.. the city council dont have the money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 deisebob1

Spotted this group myself and joined the other day, people power on facebook once again seems to be making authorities take notice! I see young councilor John Cummins is on the case :rolleyes: Probably shouldn't be sarcastic, in fairness if he is doing the work he deserves some praise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Should it be demolished?

It looks cat, but maybe it is structurally sound. Why not just put it back the way it was, as a hotel in time for the Tall Ships race. Its probably the cheapest option.

I know other places have too many hotels, but do we in Waterford?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Corpo/KCC (who actually is resposible for that hulk?) could put some sort of order on it that would compell the owners to fix it or knock it. Me? I'd happily be given permission to burn it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

mike65 wrote: »
    The Corpo/KCC (who actually is resposible for that hulk?) could put some sort of order on it that would compell the owners to fix it or knock it. Me? I'd happily be given permission to burn it down.

You can bet KCC will point at the Corpo as to who's responsible. Although planning permission was lodge jointly with KCC and Corpo..

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?File_number=08203&LASiteID=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 deisebob1

dayshah wrote: »
    Should it be demolished?

It looks cat, but maybe it is structurally sound. Why not just put it back the way it was, as a hotel in time for the Tall Ships race. Its probably the cheapest option.

I know other places have too many hotels, but do we in Waterford?

Don't think the developer would do that, if he/she had any interest in that idea they wouldnt have left it get in that state. I have my doubts if that would be a cheaper option from the photos. I just read cummins press statement on it & he suggests a good idea with sealing it and putting baner on it, might be good while the resession continues and no developments happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its sad to see it like that inside. Lots of good memories. Going to the Ard Rí or Jury's always meant an occasion of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

deisebob1 wrote: »
    Don't think the developer would do that, if he/she had any interest in that idea they wouldnt have left it get in that state. I have my doubts if that would be a cheaper option from the photos. I just read cummins press statement on it & he suggests a good idea with sealing it and putting baner on it, might be good while the resession continues and no developments happen

When the developer couldn't find the money to pay for Cork City FC's bus driver , before he put the club out of business , I don't think he gives a toss about the state of the Ard Ri now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Shame the site has been let go so bad. Have to laugh though, the lads taking pictures and videos of themselves destroying the building could open the door to a legal action against them. No attempt to hide their faces.

Anyway, the group got the attention it deserved it seems:-
    Council will act on Ard Ri site – CumminsShare
    Yesterday at 18:12
    Fine Gael Waterford City Councillor John Cummins has said he is confident that Waterford City Council will act on the former Ard Ri hotel site. He was giving his reaction following the creation of a Facebook page dedicated to lobbying for the building to be demolished before the Tall Ships Race next summer.

Cllr. Cummins said “This site has gone from bad to worse and it is high time that the existing legislation is exercised to ensure our City’s image is not damaged further. Over 1,600 people have joined the Facebook page so clearly there is a great deal of anger amongst the public on this issue. Every step must be taken to present our city in the best possible light.

Cllr. Cummins has been critical of the City Council’s use of the existing legislation on derelict sites, citing countless examples where action has not been taken in the past. However he is confident that Waterford City Council will resolve this issue. “I understand that the site is currently being entered on the Derelict Sites register and once this is done Waterford City Council will issue the owners with a notice specifying the exact works which must be carried out to bring the site out of dereliction and a timeframe for carrying out the works. If the owners fail to comply with this notice Waterford City Council will commence works to remediate the site and will take the owners to court to recoup the costs”.

However Cllr. Cummins has expressed concern in the event that if this happens as it notoriously difficult to recoup costs through the courts. “Therefore we must be prudent in the way we spend our money. If demolishing the site is the cheapest option then we should go for it but if there are alternative options that would clean up the site satisfactorily then they should be explored. One option that has been mooted is to completely seal the building by bricking up the first two floors so that nobody can enter the site and covering the building with an enormous banner with some form of ‘Welcome to Waterford’ message.

He concluded by calling on the owners of the site to immediately

http://www.facebook.com/notes/john-cummins/council-will-act-on-ard-ri-site-cummins/393803355842

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Surely its idiotic taking pictures of yourself causing damage to the site?

Handy proof if somebody wanted to prosecute you. Foolish enough to even link to their website as a credit for taking the photos - http://www.secsfilms.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

I actually know the ginge in picture 11..hes a bit long in the tooth for that kind of carry on tbh. Tis sad to see it like that, I used to work there when I was in school, in all fairness they could have done something with it before it got to that state. TNT is the only thing that might help it unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Dereliction should be taxed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Dereliction should be taxed.

I suppose technically it was years ago, hence the reason why we have no lovely hold estate houses anymore....the roofs were removed to avoid the tax and then they fell apart....sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

Junior wrote: »
    Just spotted there's a Facebook Group looking for the hotel to be demolished before the Tall Ships in 2011, (Link Here)

There's some photos up on the group of the place being wrecked and some lads having a session up there, there's also some recent photos of the Hotel as well, I know the McEniff Group sold it on, but I'm wondering is the new group gone to the wall and waiting for NAMA to take it on or has anyone any light to shed on the matter ?

It's certainly an eyesore and just adding to the degradation on that side of the river.

I think it’s funny that it there is a campaign to tidy up the place for The Tall Ships event
    Why not tidy it up because it’s just plain ugly for Waterford people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Controlled Explosion to open the tall ships race with a bang. Would be some sight from the Quays......up until the dust cloud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

a big flag like is on the old mill cross the river would do the trick

and the place could do with securing before some looper on meao meao falls off the top of it.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Excellent news:
    Waterford City Council is to take action to have the old Ard Rí Hotel site cleaned up.

The Council today confirmed it will direct the owners to have works carried out ‘to remove the site from dereliction’.

A formal notice specifying the works to be carried out will be served on the owners in the coming week.

The hotel overlooks the city and has been closed since 2006 when it was sold by the McEniff Group to
    developers TRM who had planned an extensive re-development of the site.

Their plans however were refused last year and its believed the company is now finding it difficult to raise
    capital.

The Ard Ri has now been entered on the Derelict Sites Register by the City Council.

City Manager, Michael Walsh says the former Ard Rí Hotel has now become ‘a blot on the landscape’ and he will, with the support of the members of Waterford City Council, pursue all avenues legally available to have the owners carry out necessary works.

The City Manager added that, at a time when so much work and effort is going into presenting Waterford city at its best, he is not prepared to tolerate derelict sites such as the Ard Rí.

Mr Walsh will report to the Council at next Monday’s meeting and if the owners of the Ard Rí site fail to undertake the works specified within an appropriate time, the City Council will carry out the work and seek to recover the costs from the owners.

http://www.wlrfm.ie/tabId/269/itemId/1110/Council-to-act-on-Ard-Ri-ruin.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good to see they read my post! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

I wish I hadnt looked at those pictures on the facebook page.

I had lots of good memories going there for christmas parties as a kid, weddings and debs.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

19.5V wrote: »
    I think it’s funny that it there is a campaign to tidy up the place for The Tall Ships event

Probably the same reason we're all prepared to live in our houses with books, toys etc strewn all over the place, but as soon as we get word the in-laws are coming....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I can see your point but it's obviously of vital importance to not have it there by the time thousands and thousands of visitors come here for the tall ships. Fair enough we don't want to be looking at it but that doesnt' have a detrimental effect on tourism or the local economy because we all live here.

I hope that the time frame given is short enough though. With the push that's seemingly coming in terms of attracting tourists here this year, it would be nice to have this situation rectified in a timely fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I think the idea of covering it with a massive welcome to Waterford banner is a good idea.

Was it open the last time the ships were here? I'd say it gave some great views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Put a banner with a giant viking ship design on it so you can have the front,back and both sides then light it up.
    Oh and cut the grass.Those views are going to waste :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Put a banner with a giant viking ship design on it so you can have the front,back and both sides then light it up.
    Oh and cut the grass.Those views are going to waste :(

Put up a blank covering and leave the usual tools take turns to paint it blue & white or black & amber...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

How are people accessing this without getting noticed? Its to obvious via the front entrance, so I assume there is some entrance (or some walking method at least) via the rear/side?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

On a couple of occassions I've seen people going through that little gap in the main entrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I can see your point but it's obviously of vital importance to not have it there by the time thousands and thousands of visitors come here for the tall ships. Fair enough we don't want to be looking at it but that doesnt' have a detrimental effect on tourism or the local economy because we all live here.

I hope that the time frame given is short enough though. With the push that's seemingly coming in terms of attracting tourists here this year, it would be nice to have this situation rectified in a timely fashion.

Hmmmmm........New Ross needs JFK to come back then they might to sort out its quay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hmmmmm........New Ross needs JFK to come back then they might to sort out its quay

I can't say I understand the relevance of that comment. :confused:

Advertisement