Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard Rí Hotel..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

b0lt wrote: »
    hahahahaha FAIL

Hahahaha a load of spoilt little brats the lot of ye!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Been announced on WLR that it's to be levelled before the Tall Ships..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Yeah brilliant news isn't it, delighted to hear it will be done before Tall Ships too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Wlrfm (Official)
    News:
    The owner of the derelict Ard Ri has begun to clean up the hotel overlooking the City.
    According to Waterford City Councillor Davy Walsh, Tom Coughlan has agreed to take the site out of dereliction.
    The full cost of the clean up is understood to cost 160 thousand euro, 60 thousand of which will be provided by the Council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Can we all help??
    /gets hammer and TNT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

clean up?

i'd be weary of what he means by that.

To make that place look anyway decent would be an absolute monster of a job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

south wrote: »
    Wlrfm (Official)
    News:
    The owner of the derelict Ard Ri has begun to clean up the hotel overlooking the City.
    According to Waterford City Councillor Davy Walsh, Tom Coughlan has agreed to take the site out of dereliction.
    The full cost of the clean up is understood to cost 160 thousand euro, 60 thousand of which will be provided by the Council.

Where's the remaining €100k coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

south wrote: »
    Wlrfm (Official)
    News:

That doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s going to be knocked does it?

I thought the council were just getting ready to start cleaning it up for 200k?

I often wondered if time was an issue with demolishing the building why they couldn’t knock it straight off, move the debris to a site and sort it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Its hard to believe where i work that company did alot of work on the place, made windows and inside frames and doors, just gone to waste.
    Could some of the clean up bill be sent to the K Team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

It's not being knocked. Its being covered. Like the whole face of it. I don't want to say where I heard it from but im 99.9% sure its truth. If you want to know sure you can ask me over PM.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think your asking for more trouble just covering it up TBH. How much would a demo job cost? surely if it's 160k just to clean the thing up it would be worth paying the whole hog of knocking it down?

I have never worked in construction but surely it can't be too much more then 160k? like 250k maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Demo job wouldnt be as easy as everyone thinks up there, lot of mass concrete and its in a bad location for getting rid of material.

Its actully so crap what happened to it, i'd say 99% of people here had a good time up there at least once at a wedding or somthing and now its just made absolute sh1t of

ziedth wrote: »
    I think your asking for more trouble just covering it up TBH. How much would a demo job cost? surely if it's 160k just to clean the thing up it would be worth paying the whole hog of knocking it down?

I have never worked in construction but surely it can't be too much more then 160k? like 250k maybe?

As Frankie Boyle said:
    "If ya'd had your last game against Scotland we'd have dont it for nothing!":D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its not being demolished. But people are getting the big canvass over the building we spoke about here!
    Fine Gael Waterford City Councillor John Cummins has today welcomed news of progress on the derelict former Ard Ri hotel overlooking Waterford City. Work commenced on cleaning up the site by the owners Mr. Tom Coughlan and Mr. Michael Dempsey on Monday.

Cllr. Cummins stated “This is fantastic news for our City. It is something which over 3,000 people on Facebook, the media and I have campaigned long and hard for. I particularly want to thank the owners of the site for stepping up to the plate. I have been very critical of them in the past but I certainly wish to thank them for entering into an agreement with the Council on cleaning up this prominent site”.

He continued “While the citizens of Waterford wanted the site to be cleaned up, they were incensed that they would have to foot a bill of approximately 250,000 euro. Thankfully it hasn’t come to that. Not only is the cost of the clean up cheaper at 160,000 the owners are footing the majority of this cost (140,000 euro). The reduced cost is due to the owner’s ability to claim back VAT and the fact that they don’t have to procure services. Waterford City Council is contributing 20,000 euro toward the cost so that we can have access to the site and project images such as “Waterford Welcomes the Tall Ships” on to what will be a blank canvass when the work is complete”.

It is understood the works will include the removal of all single storey buildings such as the former swimming pool and access tunnel, the bricking up of the first two floors, boarding and painting the remaining floors and securing the perimeter of the site. The estimated time frame for completion is twelve weeks and Waterford City Council will continuously monitor the works to ensure they comply with the notice which was served on the owners last year.

Cllr. Cummins concluded by saying “Graffiti, unsightly and derelict buildings are issues which I have raised at almost every Council meeting since I was elected nineteen months ago. I think it is vital that we present our city in the best possible way, especially in the run up to Tall Ships Festival which will be largest festival in Ireland this year attracting over 500,000 visitors to our City in three days. It is crucial that Waterford City is seen by the International media in a positive light and I am sure that the work currently being undertaken on the Ard Ri site will add to this image”.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/john-cummins/welcome-progress-on-ard-ri-site-cummins/497052805842
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1486395735

Taken from Facebook, he has been one of the more vocal candidates on the issue of the Ardi Ri. Shame its not being demolished, which is something I would prefer to see. I am intrigued as to what work exactly will be done though, that will prevent it being broken up again.

Cheers Sully.

All the plans sound great alright, now we just have to wait and see if they will follow through on them.

Projecting things onto a giant blank canvas..................Guarantee you some pron is gonna end up there at some stage :pac:

Sully wrote: »
    Its not being demolished. But people are getting the big canvass over the building we spoke about here!

Are we getting credit for the idea :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Are we getting credit for the idea :)

We should have the Boards.ie logo at the end :p

(On the subject of Credit and only briefly off topic - fair play to News and Star for taking stuff from the forum and crediting Boards in the last edition of the paper. Most journalists don't bother!)

not a bad idea. . . .

• Advertisement

Apparently all the single story buildings like the swimming pool and function room will be knocked leaving just the hotel itself.

then the first two floors wil be bricked up,
    the rest of the building painted and boarded then a blank canvass is to cover the front face.

jayboi wrote: »
    Apparently all the single story buildings like the swimming pool and function room will be knocked leaving just the hotel itself.

then the first two floors wil be bricked up,
    the rest of the building painted and boarded then a blank canvass is to cover the front face.

:confused: like was said just above?

Ledger wrote: »
    :confused: like was said just above?
    To tell the truth i started writing the post about 20 minutes before that but had to go to the toilet.

Who knew so much would happen during those few minutes!

jayboi wrote: »
    To tell the truth i started writing the post about 20 minutes before that but had to go to the toilet.

Who knew so much would happen during those few minutes!

ok my bad

any idea will people be able to still go up the hill or will the whole place be off limits? I know it says 'securing the site' i was wondering does that only mean the area directly around the hotel?

(On the subject of Credit and only briefly off topic - fair play to News and Star for taking stuff from the forum and crediting Boards in the last edition of the paper. Most journalists don't bother!)

(Pushing a tiny bit further off topic) you got a link for that what was it about/was said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

(Pushing a tiny bit further off topic) you got a link for that what was it about/was said?
    Check the Magic Tree thread in the County forum, or check the article on the News & Star website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I presume by bricking up the bottom two floors thats they are going to 'restrict' access ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

While I welcome this news, I can't help but wonder what the long term plans are. I'm sure they'll be able to keep it secure until the Tall Ships but what about beyond that? Will security become more lax? Will people see it as a challenge to mess it up again? This is certainly good news but it's only a stop-gap measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

Why isnt the owner of the site not paying for it all?

Advertisement