Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard Rí Hotel..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

wfman wrote: »
    Why isnt the owner of the site not paying for it all?

One of the pieces above seemed to suggest that the City Council are essentially paying to use it as advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Because a certain Mr. Lenihan and a certain Mr. Cowen made a feck of the country, and a lot of developers have declared bankruptcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

dayshah wrote: »
    Because a certain Mr. Lenihan and a certain Mr. Cowen made a feck of the country, and a lot of developers have declared bankruptcy.

Lets not forget our old friend Bertie the most cunning of them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

nkay1985 wrote: »
    One of the pieces above seemed to suggest that the City Council are essentially paying to use it as advertising.
    Thats a lot of money for advertising.would it not be better to use that money to advertise the tall ships in newspapers in other counties?
    I know of someone that knocked a shed on his property.The city council called up and told him he had 2 weeks to remove the rubble ect.I dont believe they gave him anything towards the skip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Was looking at this today when i was in the city, has the clean up started yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

there are a few diggers at the entrance but no difference in the building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭brianthelion

I worked on the building of the Ard Ri back in the 60s I was an apprentice plumber.manys the good night we had in the Glen bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

saw trucks going up there this morning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah they are doing a huge clean up there.

I heard a rumor they found a mass grave for dogs and cats in the back

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

any more info on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

An no more info, just a rumor though so dont take it as gospel

An no more info, just a rumor though so dont take it as gospel

ah yeah. i hope thats all it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

The City Council will end up paying for everything.

I hope the K Team are send in to clean their mess or send them the clean up bill!!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Some very noticeable changes to the front of the Ard-ri this evening, they have started to board up all the windows, already it's a big improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

hope its spray proof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Some very noticeable changes to the front of the Ard-ri this evening, they have started to board up all the windows, already it's a big improvement.

Huge difference.
    next wrote: »
    hope its spray proof
    Its a grafitti artists wet dream all that cavass and location.

Would they be better off to flatten it? If it going to get vandalized again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

PatrickD32 wrote: »
    Its a grafitti artists wet dream all that cavass and location.
    The City Council should invite someone like Banksy or Gottfried Hellwein to do a custom piece for the 'canvas' on the Ard Ri. It'd be good publicity for the artist and an interesting thing to have in the city. Or even get a bunch of local artists to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

The City Council should invite someone like Banksy or Gottfried Hellwein to do a custom piece for the 'canvas' on the Ard Ri. It'd be good publicity for the artist and an interesting thing to have in the city. Or even get a bunch of local artists to do it.

That would be the clever thing to do though, you know aswell as I do they never do that.

Could look really well from the quay, and most people who just spray **** and tag there name and all around dont usually bother ruin good grafitti also.

Blank canvas is guaranteed be wrecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

This would be a great idea. I'd imagine you could get someone very good for very cheap (if not free) considering the amount of international attention we'll have during the Tall Ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Lets not!

I've seen enough pictures of scary and dead children to last me a lifetime. Just put up something that either advertises the city, says welcome to waterford or along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

jayboi wrote: »
    Lets not!

I've seen enough pictures of scary and dead children to last me a lifetime. Just put up something that either advertises the city, says welcome to waterford or along those lines.
    Yeah, give Youth Defence control of it. It would certain grab attention.

jayboi wrote: »
    Lets not!

Yeah I wouldn't like to see anything too dark or depressing like some of Hellwein's work, it would just need to be something nice to look at, maybe a little quirky even. They could even change to a new image every 6 or 12 months, as the building probably won't be knocked for a couple of years.

I'm gonna suggest it to the council anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

It's going to be used as an advertisement for future events happening in Waterford ... the ads will be projected onto the surface.

Patrickd32 ... I think you are being very unfair on the City Council, They've done a lot of great work in difficult circumstances over the last 2 or 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

This is a result of the go getters/greedy b......s land grabbing so called gentlemen who bled the country dry speculators,filthy banks etc.

comeraghs wrote: »
    It's going to be used as an advertisement for future events happening in Waterford ... the ads will be projected onto the surface.
    Anyone know how the projected images idea will work? Will the images be properly visible during daylight? Where will the images be projected from?

I know they are doing the projected images during the Tall Ships but after that I can't see how they will be able to do it as I assume this would cost money to use on a continuous basis, or will they just set it to project the images the week before Spraoi, Harvest Festival etc.

I just hope the place will be well secured after its cleaned up and not go back to the state it was in before the Tall Ships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I used to like it at Christmas when the windows were lit up to spell 'PEACE' or 'NOEL'.

Get some artists in to paint a mock hotel (perhaps the way it used to look) and have the 'windows' spell out something welcoming. Maybe it can be altered from time to time to give different messages.

Advertisement