Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard Rí Hotel..

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Don't want to hijack this thread but as an outsider the one thing that I Feel could improve the city enormously is the levelling of this monster, to quote prince charles,

3000784078_333f844342.jpg

its like a carrabunicle on the neck of an old friend.

Shame on everyone for not getting this flattened while waiting to develop the area later. :(

Like i said before i think a lot of those buildings are protected structures someone told me before that their the first reinforced concrete building Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

alinton wrote: »
    I'm not going to go begging, those that matter know my idea, where I am and how to contact me.

If they're not interested, that's up to them.

They also know that I could organise the still projections (a pale substitute) for far less than the amounts they've been quoted.

A.

Somethin doesn't add up here, i wouldn't go chasing someone to do a favour for em, bu if it's a business oppurtunity involving quiet a bit of cash for you(I assume) then I would be hounding them. A simple email and that's it doesn't really sound like a business proposal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

It was much more than a simple email I sent, but thats all I got in return.

Yes its a business opportunity for me but if everyone else is apathetic there's no point in chasing them.

A.

alinton wrote: »
    It was much more than a simple email I sent, but thats all I got in return.

Yes its a business opportunity for me but if everyone else is apathetic there's no point in chasing them.

A.

ok fair enough, but you said u spoke to the city manager, have you spoke to Des Whelan of the tall ships commitee, the man in charge of how the 1.25M handed over is spent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/cable-car-to-ard-ri/
    Cable car to Ard Rí!

By Dermot Keyes. Published on Friday, April 8th, 2011 at 10:02 am

HamburgCableCar-300x117.jpgA cable car above Hamburg.

A cable car crossing the River Suir from the site of the Ard-Rí Hotel into Waterford city centre has been mooted by City Councillor Gary Wyse.
    Speaking to The Munster Express, the Fianna Fáil Councillor admitted that some might question such a proposal but ‘outside the box’ thinking in Waterford was what the time demanded.
    “We’ve got a blank canvass to work with in Waterford, and I don’t think we should rule out anything that can act as a tourism generator for the city,” he said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

drBill wrote: »

Good idea imo

They could use it as an attraction, use the stucture as an airsoft site, turn the outside walls into mini absailing, put a kids funderworld up, slides down the hill.....make it an adventure center, petting zoo and the cable car could be the center piece of it......... not enough places offering these kind of facilities around the city, usually have to travel to Wexford, Kiltorcan, Tramore etc etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Well the rails from the cable car would have to be so high that they don't get in the way of any ships coming through. Imagine an old ship coming through and the mast hitting it.

Good idea imo

They could use it as an attraction, use the stucture as an airsoft site, turn the outside walls into mini absailing, put a kids funderworld up, slides down the hill.....make it an adventure center, petting zoo and the cable car could be the center piece of it......... not enough places offering these kind of facilities around the city, usually have to travel to Wexford, Kiltorcan, Tramore etc etc etc

good idea? are you serious!!! possibly the most ridiculous idea put forward in the history of the county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The thing about a cable car is that it cannot be seen as an attraction in itself as it would be a 9 day wonder. Its a practical device so the question is why would anyone pay to go up to the Ard Ri site? They need to build something there worth visiting and then blow the bridge ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

There used to be one on Bray head many moons ago, think I was on it once or twice.

bray-cable-car-coca-cola-thumb.jpg

http://www.forthefainthearted.com/2009/06/09/a-real-thing-for-the-future/

Hard to know if it was still there today would it survive. At least when you arrrived half way up the head on it you could continue on foot to the cross at the top and enjoy the views over the bay.

As someone said you need something to do when you get there or it won't last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Not such a Wyse idea imo. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

That rochester castle clip was epic, alinton you shouldnt give up on that idea, as the other posters said talk to des whelan about it and your not begging your just going down another avenue of enquiry tbh

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

danjo-xx wrote: »
    As someone said you need something to do when you get there or it won't last.

I think one to the Árd Rí is fairly nuts. However there is potential for urban cable cars. Here is one on a Black Sea resort in Romania

Instead it could go from Ferrybank to the tower hotel, or even it can take a 90 degree turn (it is possible) and end up in John Roberts Square. It could be an alternative to a bus, and would greatly shorten the distance for someone who would otherwise walk from Ferrybank to the Viking Quarter.

The main issue is height clearance so ships (especially Tall ones) can pass underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

shinzon wrote: »
    That rochester castle clip was epic, alinton you shouldnt give up on that idea, as the other posters said talk to des whelan about it and your not begging your just going down another avenue of enquiry tbh

Shin

I have done that, but funding isn't available it seems.

I guess I should have thought of it earlier!

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 WfdBlg

Apologies for a minor hijack of the thread - does anyone know if the chap who took the photographs of the derelict Ard Ri is active on here? The shots I mean are found here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=117144124973069&v=photos.

I'm compiling a blog about derelict sites around the city and wanted to ask permission to use some of his shots. Since the builders moved in the place is locked up tight :mad:

Tried Facebook but they want my phone number b4 I can send someone a PM - which is a step too far for me, given their privacy record :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

WfdBlg wrote: »
    Apologies for a minor hijack of the thread - does anyone know if the chap who took the photographs of the derelict Ard Ri is active on here? The shots I mean are found here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=117144124973069&v=photos.

I'm compiling a blog about derelict sites around the city and wanted to ask permission to use some of his shots. Since the builders moved in the place is locked up tight :mad:

Tried Facebook but they want my phone number b4 I can send someone a PM - which is a step too far for me, given their privacy record :rolleyes:

make up a phone number for Facebook.... gets around that easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

WfdBlg wrote: »

ya didn't try to hard,
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1665891089
    you can message him here or try his email addy

Advertisement