Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard Rí Hotel..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I totally agree with its demolition before the race no doubt, but I have to admit this similar FB group made me laugh: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=105181022859842

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I can't say I understand the relevance of that comment. :confused:
    Previous post
    I think it’s funny that it there is a campaign to tidy up the place for The Tall Ships event
    Why not tidy it up because it’s just plain ugly for Waterford people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

new ross, jfk, the ard ri? .............................i'm not seeing the link oh wise one. care to enlighten my ignorant self?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

me thinks he is talking about tidying places up for special events like when JFK visited New Ross & the Tall Ships

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

When Galway had the Volvo Ocean Race last summer they dismantled a number of unsightly structures along their docks, including a number of large oil storage containers.

We should explore the possibility of doing this with the North Quays as a whole to include not only the Ard Ri, but the awful grain silos as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

comeraghs wrote: »
    me thinks he is talking about tidying places up for special events like when JFK visited New Ross & the Tall Ships

jfk was here for the tall ships??
    i didn't know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You didn't see him with Elvis? They were looking for an Egyptian mummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

Kahless wrote: »

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kahless wrote: »
    If I could thank you more for the Bubba Ho Tep reference I would

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I read they were thinking of brickin up the bottom two floors and maybe covering the building in a welcome to waterford banner.

Best thing to do is to cover the whole thing it with a massive tricolour.
    If they did it would probably be look the job and be the biggest in the country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Down with these banners.
    It's such a cheap, temporary clean up exactly like kicking your dirty clothes under the bed.

Knock down the hotel and that god forsaken flour mill too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    Down with these banners.
    It's such a cheap, temporary clean up exactly like kicking your dirty clothes under the bed.

Knock down the hotel and that god forsaken flour mill too.

But after the hotel is blown up, what then? It'll look bad. I suppose it could be landscaped, but who will pay for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

dayshah wrote: »
    But after the hotel is blown up, what then? It'll look bad. I suppose it could be landscaped, but who will pay for that?

City council should instigate legal proceedings. If the company in question cannot pay for the the clean-up, then the CIty Council should take legal ownership of the land from the developer.

Same goes with the North Quays - 'tis about time we started taking back our City from Developers who just sit on their land and do nothing with it

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Its a lot easier to cover someones private property than it is to blow it up.
    There are still laws at the end of the day and your not setting yourself up to be left with a hefty demolision or legal bill.

Theres a rake of buildings in the city that need to be looked at not just the Ard Ri although i realise it is the most prominant. what about:
    The shop next to Geoffs
    The building across from the old bank pub and foxy chopper
    Madigans
    to name a few!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Would you like a ding dong? *Sorry for off topic but I couldn't resist* :D

jayboi wrote: »
    Its a lot easier to cover someones private property than it is to blow it up.
    There are still laws at the end of the day and your not setting yourself up to be left with a hefty demolision or legal bill.

Theres a rake of buildings in the city that need to be looked at not just the Ard Ri although i realise it is the most prominant. what about:
    The shop next to Geoffs
    The building across from the old bank pub and foxy chopper
    Madigans
    to name a few!
    Personally I think a lot of building on O'Connell St are a disgrace, especially the one next to the Chamber of Commerce building. Its such a contrast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

From The Munster Express Site

The owner of the Ard Rí hotel site remains angered by Waterford City Council and Kilkenny County Council’s shooting down of a €400 million development that its planners rejected last year.

The Munster Express understands that TRM Developments, headed by property developer Tom Coughlan, remains committed to developing the site.

“We have already spent over €2 million and invested considerable time into the development of the site,” according to a TRM source.

“We hired the best architects available whom we believe came up with a fabulous design and what did we get in return? A one-line refusal. It’s the kind of thing that could only happen in this country.”

Barring its demolition, which could cost as much as €500,000, a fundamental alteration of the site is unlikely to be achieved between now and the visit of the Tall Ships to Waterford in July 2011.

The TRM source acknowledged that the security of the site has been repeatedly and regrettably breached.

“If someone wants to get in, they’re going to find a way,” the source added. “But we’re going to board up as much of the site as we can in the hope that it will curb some of what has taken place in recent months.”

As far as I knew Tom Coughlan hadn't two brass pennies to rub together after his spell at Cork City, which he ran into the ground, he seems like the sort of sham that believes his own hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Junior wrote: »
    Barring its demolition, which could cost as much as €500,000, a fundamental alteration of the site is unlikely to be achieved between now and the visit of the Tall Ships to Waterford in July 2011.

Just interested by this section. Surely, they'll have to do something once they're added to dereliction register, or whatever it's called. And surely there's a time frame in which something must be done before the Council do it and recoup the costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

in a just world (that exists in my imagination), a guy like him would be hit with a CPO and handed a few grand for his trouble and the site developed into a public resource for all of us.

old gregg wrote: »
    in a just world (that exists in my imagination), a guy like him would be hit with a CPO and handed a few grand for his trouble and the site developed into a public resource for all of us.

I'm curious what proposal people have for the site? I mean even if its demolished at the very least the land would have to be landscaped.

Here are some realistic ideas

Keep structure and:
    1) Turn it back into a hotel
    2) Turn it into apartments
    3) Turn it into some sort of nursing home

Demolish it and
    4) cover with grass and put cows on it
    5) Make it Waterford's 'make out point' where you bring your girl after the prom like all those US shows
    6) Cover it with grass and make it a public park, nice for picnics
    7) Put some moderate development there (and finance the development by giving a fine of €100 to every who says Waterford needs a Marks and Spencers).

• Advertisement

dayshah wrote: »
    I'm curious what proposal people have for the site? I mean even if its demolished at the very least the land would have to be landscaped.

Here are some realistic ideas

Keep structure and:
    1) Turn it back into a hotel
    2) Turn it into apartments
    3) Turn it into some sort of nursing home

Demolish it and
    4) cover with grass and put cows on it
    5) Make it Waterford's 'make out point' where you bring your girl after the prom like all those US shows
    6) Cover it with grass and make it a public park, nice for picnics
    7) Put some moderate development there (and finance the development by giving a fine of €100 to every who says Waterford needs a Marks and Spencers).

Demolish it and turn it back into Grassland or create some sort of public Park- It should never have been developed in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Demolish it and turn it into a Live venue that could bring major acts to the south east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Demolish the hotel, re-landscape it back into a nice hillside, build a low-level restaurant/visitors centre with views over the city. Link the look of it all with the watch-tower thats up there.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Bards wrote: »
    Demolish it and turn it back into Grassland or create some sort of public Park- It should never have been developed in the first place
    sounds good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Junior wrote: »
    From The Munster Express Site
    “We hired the best architects available whom we believe came up with a fabulous design and what did we get in return? A one-line refusal. It’s the kind of thing that could only happen in this country.”
    Both Waterford City Council and Kilkenny Co. Council refused planning for the development, and I'm pretty sure both Councils had a long list of detailed reasons so I don't know what he's on about with a one-line refusal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just looking at the film clip of the lads skateboarding up there and the power seems to be on? Why would it not be noticed from the city, and why not just switch it off, or am I misunderstanding something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Demolish it and turn it into a Live venue that could bring major acts to the south east.

i was thinking the same thing myself.

This would be more suited to the Ferrybank Shopping Centre Development.

They could easily turn that into a Hotel/Conference Centre/Arena etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Turning into a Conference centre surely would clash with the plans for the north quays ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Could it not be refurbished like the ESB building on the quay......which imo is looking only fantastic and cost only 2m afaik.

Advertisement