Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard Rí Hotel..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Junior wrote: »
    Turning into a Conference centre surely would clash with the plans for the north quays ?

If we had plenty of money I'd be inclined to develop the north quays, and just put a park or something at the Ard Ri. But in fairness, I don't expect anything to happen with the north quays any time soon. Its not like we are in desperate need of housing, though if quality apartments were built they would be reasonably central.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

dayshah wrote: »
    <snip>
    4) cover with grass and put cows on it
    <snip>

Haha yea :D

On a more serious note though, for the last 3-4 years that I've been in the city I've always thought it was a bit of an eyesore. It doesn't really 'fit' there. If the costs of demolishing it are less than renovating it then I'd agree that it should be demolished. If it was my decision and I had the money then I'd demolish it and rebuid a nicer hotel that works with the landscape :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

The latest piece of "artwork" adorning the top of the Ard Ri is disgraceful. For anyone who hasnt seen it is a swastika!! Yep, that ol right wing symbol of intolerance. The past week has seen two cruise liners berth in the docks. What a welcoming symbol this will be to any future visitors. The city council need to act quickly. Get one of their painters up there immediately & remove it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

The latest piece of "artwork" adorning the top of the Ard Ri is disgraceful. For anyone who hasnt seen it is a swastika!! Yep, that ol right wing symbol of intolerance. The past week has seen two cruise liners berth in the docks. What a welcoming symbol this will be to any future visitors. The city council need to act quickly. Get one of their painters up there immediately & remove it!

Sorry you just mentioned Council and Quickly in the same sentence!! That is an oxymoron!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Isn't the swastika backwards? So does that make them anti-anti-semitic grafitti taggers?

If so it can be a symbol that the people of Waterford embrace the Jews!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The wrong way round swastika is an ancient buddhist symbol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Sorry you just mentioned Council and Quickly in the same sentence!! That is an oxymoron!!
    I dunno about that. I think the new Waterford Crystal centre is proof of what can be achieved when members are willing to break through the bureaucracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That was particuarly pressing, what with the cruse ships trade and such like. Sadly the Ard Ri has been rotting for years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Demolish it and turn it into a Live venue that could bring major acts to the south east.

Spot on ,don't hide it ,use it .Get the experts in and blow it up . Build a weekend around it live bands etc on the Quay ,followed by fireworks ending in the Ard Ri been flatten , Even have a comp for someone to press the button.
    You could even do it to close the tall ships weekend but that would be a bit of a waste IMO. may a well get two busy weekends out of it if it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Spot on ,don't hide it ,use it .Get the experts in and blow it up . Build a weekend around it live bands etc on the Quay ,followed by fireworks ending in the Ard Ri been flatten , Even have a comp for someone to press the button.
    You could even do it to close the tall ships weekend but that would be a bit of a waste IMO. may a well get two busy weekends out of it if it happened.
    Shhhhhhh.You're talking too much sense here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

The swastika had been painted over when I walked past the hotel last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Do ye want a laugh? read this, poor chap really needs to open his eyes , will never happen http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=105181022859842&ref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

Do they have any security guards up there or can people just stroll around there ?

martin12 wrote: »
    Do they have any security guards up there or can people just stroll around there ?

Was wondering myself , Alot of materials laying around, if someone was building a shed..................:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

They have that Netwatch system I think, where they have cameras monitored by someone over the net. There's speakers taht these guys can talk through I think telling you that you're being monitored by CCTV.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Was wondering myself , Alot of materials laying around, if someone was building a shed..................:D

I was more surprised that people didn't help themselves to some furniture, or that the owners didn't try sell off the furniture.

I mean they could have had an offer, hotel room for just €100, and you keep the room!!!
    During that time people were fitting out apartments to rent out, and could have made some use of the stuff. Its such a waste to see photos of the stuff being thrown out windows.

Or they could have just given the stuff to SVDP. They could have said bring a truck and keep what you want.

dayshah wrote: »
    I was more surprised that people didn't help themselves to some furniture, or that the owners didn't try sell off the furniture.

I mean they could have had an offer, hotel room for just €100, and you keep the room!!!
    During that time people were fitting out apartments to rent out, and could have made some use of the stuff. Its such a waste to see photos of the stuff being thrown out windows.

Or they could have just given the stuff to SVDP. They could have said bring a truck and keep what you want.

Brilliant:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

AdMMM wrote: »
    I dunno about that. I think the new Waterford Crystal centre is proof of what can be achieved when members are willing to break through the bureaucracy.

The question is - Is it currently on budget or have they paid over the odds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

nkay1985 wrote: »
    They have that Netwatch system I think, where they have cameras monitored by someone over the net. There's speakers taht these guys can talk through I think telling you that you're being monitored by CCTV.

not any more. the place is an absolute wreck. as some people were sayin, i spotted alot of things up there that are broke that could have been sold. computers and the likes. cant believe it hasnt been harvested for furniture/copper etc yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Is it possible for us to contact anyone who will paint over the disgusting swastika for a start? any suggestions? if i was from ferrybank area, i would find out how to get up there and do it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's already painted over.

Tis now a big white square

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Tis now a big white square
    a fresh canvas for the next fool to paint on!!!

a fresh canvas for the next fool to paint on!!!
    Hammer & Sickle next im thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I know the lads who went up to paint over it. Fair play to them, got the paint and the rollers and all the equipment off the arts council. I understand it was fair dangerous.

White square an all, it's better than what was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DeiseScooby

Just spotted something new painted over the white patch where the Swastika was this mornin, not exactly sure what it is though. Better than the Swastika anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

I'm told it was actually an Asian good luck symbol, the one like two zeds that old Adolf appropriated and used back-to- front. I don't know if that was what the Ard Ri guys intended.

woody33 wrote: »
    I'm told it was actually an Asian good luck symbol, the one like two zeds that old Adolf appropriated and used back-to- front. I don't know if that was what the Ard Ri guys intended.

In fairness, I don't think the people who painted the swastika had an appreciation for Sanskrit symbolism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

I think the culprits intended to cause maximum outrage using that symbol. In Germany you would be arrested on the spot for portraying it in public. Here in Ireland you can climb to the top of an abandoned 6 storey hotel overlooking a city & spray paint it for eveyone to see :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Was there not pictures of some of the culprits on a website throwing beds out a window. Is this not enough to have them charged with breaking and entering, vandalisim etc

Advertisement