Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard Rí Hotel..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DeiseScooby

thomasm wrote: »
    Was there not pictures of some of the culprits on a website throwing beds out a window. Is this not enough to have them charged with breaking and entering, vandalisim etc

In an ideal world, thats exactly what would happen. Even comments on the website of two young fellas hiding in a room up there with their skateboards while the guards were searching the room.

Such a pity to see the site derelict now. Most people in Waterford have fond memories of weddings/debs in that hotel. Would love to see it bought and revamped to its former glory - no doubt a profitable hotel in its day aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I think the culprits intended to cause maximum outrage using that symbol. In Germany you would be arrested on the spot for portraying it in public. Here in Ireland you can climb to the top of an abandoned 6 storey hotel overlooking a city & spray paint it for eveyone to see :mad:

They would have to get caught first in Germany. Nothing stopping them actually doing it as they did here if they didn't get caught. And, as unpleasant as the symbol is in the context, I do believe Germany have gone too far in their laws, so I wouldn't be calling on a German solution. Sure, nab the culprits for doing something like this, but the Germans ban extends to silly extents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I'm kind of surprised that no ones mentioned the fire in the Ardree this evening, although saying that it looked like quite a small fire. I was down the quay about 6.40 this evening and there was smoke billowing out of the windows of a 2nd floor room.

2 minutes later a couple of units of the fire brigade were bombing down the quay on the wrong side of the road speeding over to it. Had another wander down the quay about 7 and it was out already. I wonder if it was trespassers responsible for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Pity they put it out as the wretched thing has been an eyesore since it was built.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I past there at 8pm this evening and noticed that the gate at the bottom of the hill were open alright, thought it was a bit strange, pity it didn't burn to the ground though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I past there at 8pm this evening and noticed that the gate at the bottom of the hill were open alright, thought it was a bit strange, pity it didn't burn to the ground though
    well said!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Just passed it there a few minutes ago and the gates are still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

there,s more than likely nobody to close em as there sitting in a control room in carlow just looking at a monitor watching the site!!!

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    Just passed it there a few minutes ago and the gates are still open.

thats crazy, surely the guards or firemen could have chained up the gate, its just asking for someone to go back up there if the gates are left wide open.

I thought the architecture of the ardree was quite interesting back in the day but now its just an eyesore and looks like it belongs more in a warzone or something, it needs to be knocked down completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hutman

I was in here yesterday, we drove right up to the rear of the building, gate was wide open. I had been told access was easy enough but wasn't expecting it too be so easy. I'll post some of the pics I took later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Just read on the facebook campaign the City Council have put the Ard Rí on the Derelict Sites Register. It means that the developer will be served a number of statutory notices. These notices will direct the developer to undertake necessary clean up works on the site. If , after notices have lapsed , these works have not been undertaking , the city council will do the works and invoice the developer.

Hopefully something will be done soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

thomasm wrote: »
    Was there not pictures of some of the culprits on a website throwing beds out a window. Is this not enough to have them charged with breaking and entering, vandalisim etc

AFAIK, they would have to be signs all over the place telling people they are trespassing. Also gardaí would have to prove they were breaking and entering. It seems you can just go up to the place and walk right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Kxiii wrote: »
    Just read on the facebook campaign the City Council have put the Ard Rí on the Derelict Sites Register. It means that the developer will be served a number of statutory notices. These notices will direct the developer to undertake necessary clean up works on the site. If , after notices have lapsed , these works have not been undertaking , the city council will do the works and invoice the developer.

Hopefully something will be done soon.
    no it wont ...
    the developer is skint nama may have to pay the bill off the taxpayers backs when they get their slimy hands on it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Just after passing there and now the roof and some of the windows are painted in black & amber with some writing about "5th time" which i can only imagine is about there 5 all Ireland's in a row attempt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sound like a good reason to go window breaking :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Is it just me or did I see a crane up there earlier :confused:

Is it just me or did I see a crane up there earlier :confused:

Didn't see that but if there is then hopefully its there to knock the place down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Seems like a cat invasion....the rock above the station is or was painted black n amber!

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Seems like a cat invasion....the rock above the station is or was painted black n amber!

That was even on the six one news this evening,and theres an article in the news & star about the lads from Waterford who go up and paint over the black & amber every now and again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

That was even on the six one news this evening,and theres an article in the news & star about the lads from Waterford who go up and paint over the black & amber every now and again...

Idiots should take up a decent hobby, like play-do, might be more productive than the infantile grafitti of a rock

Idiots should take up a decent hobby, like play-do, might be more productive than the infantile grafitti of a rock

They should post a sniper to watch the rock for any more feckin stray cats that might show up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

where is there pictures of the "hotel" as it used to be? I can barely remember the kip...erm, thats probably a good thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

There was an article in the Kilkenny People about it too:
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Local-rivalry-hits-the-rocks.6442554.jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭west101

Its only a bit of friendly banter, get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

There was an article in the Kilkenny People about it too:
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Local-rivalry-hits-the-rocks.6442554.jp

There's a paint shop sponsoring vandalism ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Heh.... Always reminds me of The Simpsons episode 'Lemon of Troy' :pac:

lemontroy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Didn't see that but if there is then hopefully its there to knock the place down...

yeah the crane was up there on friday, but i was passing through ferrybank that afternoon, and the crane was driving out the gates without any visible change up there. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

west101 wrote: »
    Its only a bit of friendly banter, get over it

Vandalism is friendly banter? No, it's just childish morons with nothing better to do

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ledger wrote: »
    yeah the crane was up there on friday, but i was passing through ferrybank that afternoon, and the crane was driving out the gates without any visible change up there. :(

It was possibly o2, afaik they were doing some work on the masts. Some of the units were damaged by vandals, and it was possible that there was more damage done.

Advertisement