Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard Rí Hotel..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

they should cover the front with one of those large tall ship posters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

why not use it as the foundation for a monument / statue overlooking the city - something like the statue in Rio or the angel of the north? doesn't have to be anything religious (preferably not anyway)

was first thinking fill the damn thing with concrete to use as a base but then thought why not just cover it with earth and put something worthwhile on top?

would make more sense than this

tried my hand at photoshopping a quick mockup - apologies as my pshop usage leaves a lot to be desired :o

** the colours are not intentional - was trying to give the AOTN a chrome look but it turned out like this. could say it's chrome & reflecting the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

why not use it as the foundation for a monument / statue overlooking the city

Because generally speaking vertical rock-faces don't make good foundations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

dayshah wrote: »
    Because generally speaking vertical rock-faces don't make good foundations.

Seemed good enough to build a hotel that stood for a few decades (and is still standing, as far as I can see) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Touché :)

• Advertisement

Chochese wrote: »
    Seemed good enough to build a hotel that stood for a few decades (and is still standing, as far as I can see) :pac:

I couldn't see the picture before.

I thought you meant actually where they paint the thing, sorry :( I got confused with the Blue and White Cliff face thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JD89

I see the rock is after been painted black n amber again.

lol stupid killkenny people lol last time they repainted it the guy fell and ended up in hospital for 8 weeks

and still they dont learn :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 baby fingers breen

nooo! i love that place. granted that it looks like crap now but i hope it doesn't get knocked down. sure isn't the thinnest hotel in ireland or something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭JackM_79

The City Council are to spend €250k securing the site and cleaning up the building. This work is to begin tomorrow. They are not going to demolish it according to a council spokesperson on WLR today. They will then try to recoup the cost of cleaning up the site from the owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

JackM_79 wrote: »
    The City Council are to spend €250k securing the site and cleaning up the building. This work is to begin tomorrow. They are not going to demolish it according to a council spokesperson on WLR today. They will then try to recoup the cost of cleaning up the site from the owners.
    So theyre just gonna clean it for it to get run down again.Excellent planning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Oh God its made the 6 o'clock news...

Does cleaning up include replacing windows and so on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ditchdigger

Try being the operative word here. The owner is none other than Tom Coughlan aka the guy who let Cork City FC go to the wall even though the fans were willing to pay the debts to the creditors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

From WLR:
    The owner of the Ard Ri Hotel says he doesnt know if he will be able to afford to clean up the site.

Waterford City Council is to start the process of cleaning up the derelict hotel which overlooks the city.

The Ard Ri was placed on the derelict sites register and the owner was given two months to have the first two floors secured, the top two storeys improved, and the site secured, however the work was not done.

The council will carry out the work and seek to recover the costs which could be as high as 250 thousand euro.

Tom Coughlan says trying to find money at the moment is almost impossible.

City Council Director of Services Colette Bryne says if necessary they will go to court so they can start work.
    This is absolutely crazy. As was said above the place will be cleaned up only to be vandalised again. And the Council might not recoup the money either - can't get money from the owner if he doesn't have it. What exactly can they clean up? Remove the grafitti and replace the broken windows to make it look like it did 3 years ago? It will still be ugly looking.

Just knock the fucking thing down and be done with it. The Council should pay to demolish it, that would be money well spent. Same with the North Quay buildings. Knock them down and stop pussy footing around the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A bit of artful arson might spur everyone on. Is it insured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I see a big 5 on the left hand wall of it, how they managed that I dunno but the whole site is really looking like Beirut.....gone beyond a joke now lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Trotter wrote: »
    Oh God its made the 6 o'clock news...

On the 9 news in a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

they should rent it out for the next war movie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Ard Ri hotel in Waterford was 'marketed' as recently as the 6th of August by McEniff Hotels. From the Google Cache 6th August

RTE News today showed it as a derelict shell, stripped and trashed today, McEniff took it off their website. :) It belongs to some developer I believe.
    irelandhotelsibh.gif
    The Mceniff Ard Ri Hotel,
    Ferrybank, Co. Waterford
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]3stars.gif[/FONT]

The 3 star McEniff Ard Ri Hotel, Waterford, is set on 38 lush acres of parkland grounds and commands stunning views of the River Suir and historic Waterford city which lies literally at its feet. Each spacious, comfortable en-suite bedroom combines the convenience of ardrihotelwaterford_fc.jpgdirect dial telephone, multi-channel TV, ISDN modem connection, trouser press and welcoming Tea & Coffee making facilities. An air of space and light pervades everywhere in the Hotel and this combined with full bar & restaurant facilities ensures every guest absolute comfort, relaxation and friendly service during their stay. For relaxation, there are full leisure facilities, with pool, sauna, steam room and gym. The Waterford Valley Suite offers the largest and most impressive conference and banqueting facility in the South East. Whether it is a banquet for 550 or a conference for 700, the friendly staff of the Ard Ri have the experience and the facilities to meet your needs. Guests are guaranteeed comfort, value for money and the Irish tradition of hospitality that has become the hallmark of the McEniff Hotels. Book this fine hotel with Ireland's Best Hotels, or browse through our comprehensive Waterford hotels gallery for a selection of hotels in Waterford at greatly discounted rates.
    [SIZE=-1]

General Facilities
    [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Direct Dial Telephone [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1] Multi-Channel Television [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]En-suite Bathroom [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Tea/Coffee making facilities[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Room Service[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Car Rental Desk[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Radio[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Hairdryer[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Trouser press[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Wake Up Service[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Leisure Facilities[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Restaurant[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Bar[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Leisure Centre[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Indoor Pool[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Sauna[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Steam room[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Sunbed[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Gym[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1] Business Facilities[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Conference Centre[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Banqueting facility [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Secretarial Service[/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Location[/FONT] Ferrybank, Co. Waterford[/SIZE]

ardrihotelwaterford_br.jpg

ardrihotelwaterford_bar.jpg

ardrihotelwaterford_pool.jpg

Rates Include ( where advised ):
    • Breakfast, Service and Taxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

In the rte news there was sign in the report saying 'once you check in you'll never check out'. Funniest thing ive seen in a while :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Waterford City

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

What a waste eh... where else would you get commanding views over a city and leave it go to ruin... hopefully the council will tear it down and re-coup the money + intrest from the owner
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Try being the operative word here. The owner is none other than Tom Coughlan aka the guy who let Cork City FC go to the wall even though the fans were willing to pay the debts to the creditors.
    TNB up to his usual tricks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

How long has it been empty , 3 years ?? 4 ??? It has been derelict for quite some time I understand.

But McEniff sold it at least 3-4 years ago and only took it off their website this week when RTE started looking into it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Topic Merged

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    TNB up to his usual tricks.

Yep, he could have kept it as a going concern pending planning permission and have some money coming in. From his attitude on the news last night I suspect he wanted it to be derelict so people would feel his megalomaniac project would be considered 'better than the current eyesore'.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

I'm not sure if its even been considered but with the outstanding success of the new Waterford Crystal location and the amazing tourist draw it has created in and around the Mall area perhaps Waterford City Council should consider moving out of their offices and make their premises available for tourist facilities such as a Thomas Francis Meagher centre, a viking centre etc. They have already done it for the new Waterford Crystal premises.

Then, you ask, where would they go?

Why not go to the now derelict Ardree Hotel building which is large with lots of space for office facilities, car parking etc. Everything could be incorporated under the one roof and they could charge the previous owner for the conversion. Mind you they would have to settle with him to lease or purchase but I'm quite sure that he would be amenable to any suggestion at this stage.

Does the idea have any merit? It would be a lot better than allowing the eyesore to get worse.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Silverado wrote: »
    I Everything could be incorporated under the one roof and they could charge the previous owner for the conversion. .

Legally speaking how exactly do you think the city council would be able to do that now?

They won't be able to do that so why suggest it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Silverado wrote: »
    I'm not sure if its even been considered but with the outstanding success of the new Waterford Crystal location and the amazing tourist draw it has created in and around the Mall area perhaps Waterford City Council should consider moving out of their offices and make their premises available for tourist facilities such as a Thomas Francis Meagher centre, a viking centre etc. They have already done it for the new Waterford Crystal premises.

Then, you ask, where would they go?

Why not go to the now derelict Ardree Hotel building which is large with lots of space for office facilities, car parking etc. Everything could be incorporated under the one roof and they could charge the previous owner for the conversion. Mind you they would have to settle with him to lease or purchase but I'm quite sure that he would be amenable to any suggestion at this stage.

Does the idea have any merit? It would be a lot better than allowing the eyesore to get worse.
    They are moving out,across the road as far as I know next to the new crystal center and the current building is being turned into a museum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Cabaal wrote: »
    Legally speaking how exactly do you think the city council would be able to do that now?

They won't be able to do that so why suggest it?

They will be charging him for the demolition or whatever works are necessary to render the property safe. I don't think that it cost a much more to convert in usable office space, perhaps even less.

Advertisement