Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard Rí Hotel..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

They are moving out,across the road as far as I know next to the new crystal center and the current building is being turned into a museum

They are still occupying a great deal of property on the Mall, Cathedral Square and Baileys New St. and that's even after the planned move across. A total shift would open up a lot of very useful property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Silverado wrote: »
    They will be charging him for the demolition or whatever works are necessary to render the property safe. I don't think that it cost a much more to convert in usable office space, perhaps even less.
    Charging him and being paid by him are two different things :(

I'd rather keep the Crystal in the city centre, so tourists will walk around the shops and buy their lunch in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

dayshah wrote: »
    Charging him and being paid by him are two different things :(

I'd rather keep the Crystal in the city centre, so tourists will walk around the shops and buy their lunch in town.

The whole idea is to KEEP Waterford Crystal where it now is and move the Corpo to the Ardree. Making him pay looks like it might be a Court matter anyway by the sound of him yesterday on RTE radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Theres an ad for McDonalds across the road in the garage and the headline is "cheeseburger for €2 'so cheap you can demolish it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Silverado wrote: »
    The whole idea is to KEEP Waterford Crystal where it now is and move the Corpo to the Ardree. Making him pay looks like it might be a Court matter anyway by the sound of him yesterday on RTE radio.

It sounds like a reasonable idea. With NAMA and so on, I wonder who will actually own it and who it can be bought from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

I believe that the City Council should be situated centrally in the City. I also like the idea that the Council workers pass through a fully functioning business each day which might rub off on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

johndoe99 wrote: »
    they should rent it out for the next war movie
    best idea ive heard or some disaster movie like the "irish economy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

They are moving out,across the road as far as I know next to the new crystal center and the current building is being turned into a museum

Thats true....their moving out from the Bishops Palace where the two cannon's used to be....which will then be used as a museum/heritage centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Theres an ad for McDonalds across the road in the garage and the headline is "cheeseburger for €2 'so cheap you can demolish it"
    Is this true? That's savage, haha!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There was a light on in the hotel tonight, including some flicker of light around various locations. Turns out the Guards were up there, few calls went in about the activity and they discovered people in some of the other rooms.

Cant say I remembered much left in any of the rooms that made it squat worthy. But someone seems to have with a light on and everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deasyd

To be honest who ever is doing all the graffiti should go up and slap big black and amber strips across the front of it. Kilkenny County Council are a disgrace for not tackling this issue more promptly.

It's interesting how it falls on Waterford County Council to clean up a south Kilkenny mess. Kilkenny are reluctant to let Waterford to push their boundaries past Rice Bridge, yet expect them to clean up this idiotic mess.

They alway recliam south Kilkenny by smearing their black and amber strip on the cliff above the train station. I wounder how long they would leave their black and amber strips of the Ard Ri?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

:pac: You make it sound like Kilkenny Co. Co. are painting the cliff.

Anyway, where exactly is the county boundary in relation to the hotel? I didn't see the border marked on the OSI web map and the ever reliable ( ;) ) Google map appears to show the boundary going through the hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Hotel structure is within KK Coco boundary, the dotted line crosses the driveway near the top.

Check the map - oh wait...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

deasyd wrote: »
    It's interesting how it falls on Waterford County Council to clean up a south Kilkenny mess. Kilkenny are reluctant to let Waterford to push their boundaries past Rice Bridge, yet expect them to clean up this idiotic mess.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that KK coco don't seem to care because they don't have this decrepit monster looming over them like Waterford City does. I agree it should be them who cleans it up, but unfortunately life's not fair.

Ledger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I presume this eyesore is privately owned? I remember for years there was a similar closed hotel in Cashel Co. Tipp over looking the old N8 and Rock of Cashel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

mfitzy wrote: »
    I presume this eyesore is privately owned? I remember for years there was a similar closed hotel in Cashel Co. Tipp over looking the old N8 and Rock of Cashel.

is it still there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ledger wrote: »
    is it still there?

I think they did something with it yea, like holiday homes or something..i'm not fully sure 'cos I would never be passing there with the bypass now!

I find it incredible though that the hotel in Wsterford has been allowed to lie derelict like it is. It is an awful eyesore. You would think being in such a prime location it would have been viable. Clearly not..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Article in today's Irish Daily Mail.

They are finally doing something with the place,it will be great when finished.
    IN January 2011 the "Ard Ri Hotel", which has been an eyesore for many, will be totally transformed into a beautiful eighties style digital clock.

The talking LED clock will cost Irish tax payers €657m and will be the biggest of its kind in Europe.

David Flynn, the developer now in charge of the 27 acre site, today agreed to start the construction on the giant time piece immediately, giving way to 310 new jobs in the area.

Waterford city council gave permission for the build last Thursday after an intense four hour meeting in city hall. A majority vote decided in favour of Architect James Kavanagh's 'Digital Clock' proposal.

Mr.Kavangh said in an interview today: "I am thrilled that my design got the go ahead. I got the idea one night in a taxi home from Ruby's. My phone was dead and I didn't have a watch. I looked up at the hotel and it just hit me. It was like God himself was trying to tell me something boy! I started drawing up plans the next day and the rest as they say is history."

The Ferrybank-based development will comprise of a large block of concrete, roughly the size of the current hotel, and 4 fifty foot sub woofer speakers. The clock speaker will call the time every fifteen minutes during peak hours and only once every hour there after.

City councilor David Morris said that the development should be completed in time for the Tall Ships race in '11.220.jpg
    Courtesy of Waterford whispers news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D It could the cities communal alarm clock!
    Article in today's Irish Daily Mail.

Did you read it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Yep, they said some company bought it in 2006 and promised a big development and then Board Pleanala refused. They had before and after photos of the hotel too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Thats a joke, right?

alinton wrote: »
    Thats a joke, right?

Nope,seen David Flynn cranes up there earlier,also heard Toner electronics are going to be supplying the speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭julyjane

alinton wrote: »
    Thats a joke, right?

Exactly what I thought.
    €657 MILLION to turn a building into a clock :eek:

I'm holding onto the hope that because it was The Daily Mail that reported this then it might not be true.

Remember that giant clock they put into the River Liffey in Dublin in the 90's - disaster.

Please, someone tell me this isn't true!

julyjane wrote: »
    Exactly what I thought.
    €657 MILLION to turn a building into a clock :eek:

I'm holding onto the hope that because it was The Daily Mail that reported this then it might not be true.

Remember that giant clock they put into the River Liffey in Dublin in the 90's - disaster.

Please, someone tell me this isn't true!

Yeah sounds like a joke,but go past tomorrow you will see the David Flynn and Toner electronic signs outside,supposed to be finished by January 2011,but sure you know this town we'll never see our giant clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭julyjane

Thank you, I've just seen your other thread about Waterford Whispers news so I have the full scoop now!

julyjane wrote: »
    Thank you, I've just seen your other thread about Waterford Whispers news so I have the full scoop now!

Ah sure if we cant laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

in fairness...that is a fantastic idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

jeeeesus lads! come on now, ya cant be that thick :P

• Advertisement

O Riain wrote: »
    jeeeesus lads! come on now, ya cant be that thick :P

There's no such thing as stupid questions just stupid people :)

Advertisement