Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard Rí Hotel..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If they had made even a slightly better job of photoshopping the pic they might have got people going. In fairness its no more stupid than the 'time in the slime' and no-one is surprised at how officialdom spends our money these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

looksee wrote: »
    If they had made even a slightly better job of photoshopping the pic they might have got people going. In fairness its no more stupid than the 'time in the slime' and no-one is surprised at how officialdom spends our money these days.

It did get people going well at least two of them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It did get people going well at least two of them :)

I'm not going to let facts get in the way of a sweeping comment :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Looks like the Ard Ri is on fire there this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Heyyopauly

Any Pics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Hat tip to Peter Grogan's Facebook for this ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Just took a trip down as I need diesel for the morning, terrible terrible sight ...

... It's practically untouched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I just heard its up in flames :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

It's not now. Took a trip down and the Fire Brigade were just leaving, didn't appear bad anyways.

Unfortunately the building is still standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

could see the smoke over the city looked pretty mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Unfortunately the building is still standing.

That's a pity :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

3rd,4th and 5th floors were set on fire (or at least at attempt was made to) but it was put out pretty quickly by the fire brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

The K-team are been blamed :D

327.jpg
    Kilkenny Fundamentalists Blamed For Terrorist Attack on Waterford Hotel

MORE than 700 people could have been killed today and many more injured in a dramatic fire at the Ard Ri Hotel in Waterford.

The attack, the counties deadliest since the defacing of a large rock on the cliff behind the train station, was blamed by several guys in Geoff's on the Kilkenny separatist group 'The K-Team'.

Waterford Gardai said there could have been hundreds of people killed if all the doors were locked and the building was still functioning as a hotel. There was also fears the final toll could even have been higher if there was a wedding or some sort of large function on at the time.

The Mayor of Waterford Mary Roche has declared a day of mourning tomorrow and all public transport will be suspended until further notice.

Howdo, a local homeless man, said the fire was "very smokey" and ruled out ever sleeping in the abandoned building ever again.

"Twas ****in bound to happen. ****in place is ****in dangerous. Twas bound to ****in happen. I bet it was those ****in knackers from ****ing Kilkenny. ****in *****." he added.

Television footage from the quays showed smoke billowing from the hotel just before sunset.

Local man, Tommy Bulfin said he had "no doubt" that someone was responsible. "It couldn't have just lit itself" he told reporters.

He said the interception of two KK reg'd cars by Gardai on Bridge street last week could have been related to the incident, but he couldn't be sure.

There was no claim of responsibility but several people in Geoff's and one guy in Abrakebabra have said that it was the work of the notorious 'K-Team'.

The K-Team have since denied all responsibility for the attack.

In a public online statement, a K-Team spokesman wrote: "The k team are being accused of starting a fire at the Ard Ri hotel this accusation is false the t k team denies all knowledge or have any part being involved in this act or do we condone such behaviour k25"

A recent poll in the ladies toilet in Geoffs, 3 out of 5 women believe it was the K-Team who started the blaze.

"It has to be them. Sure they go around graffiting Kilkenny crap everything. They think they own the place boy!." said 18-year-old Catherine Hawkins

Kilkenny man Gerard Mackey said The K-Team did not represent the Kilkenny people. "When they write on walls and paint them black and amber, our cat hearts bleed. This is not what we want. We just want peace with our Waterford neighbours."

If The K-Team is responsible, today's fire will be its latest attack since writing the words 'SOUTH KILKENNY' on the quay wall.

In recent months, the group has been seen writing on the Ard Ri hotel and other large buildings in the north quay area. It is believed The K-Teams main goal is to claim the land north of the river for their own.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ The only word I can pick is epic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Please please please........

Knock it down!!!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

The K-team are been blamed :D

327.jpg

Link

Couldnt have been the K Team. They set Sundays aside when the bogball is off season for badger baytin and sister riding

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

3rd,4th and 5th floors were set on fire (or at least at attempt was made to) but it was put out pretty quickly by the fire brigade.

What gob****e called the firebrigade? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

cocoshovel wrote: »
    What gob****e called the firebrigade? :pac:

haha love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

its time for it to be flattened, its now even more of a eyesore. im sure billy mcc will be talking about it for the day tomorrow, should get the north wharf knocked too while there at it, its not long to the tall ships in-fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

... thought there was gonna be a banging rave up there before it's knocked, got a bag o' cans set aside an' all :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,637 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

old gregg wrote: »
    ... thought there was gonna be a banging rave up there before it's knocked, got a bag o' cans set aside an' all :p

should do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Couldnt have been the K Team. They set Sundays aside when the bogball is off season for badger baytin and sister riding

K team are riding your sister :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Finally! Work begins soon to secure and make somehow presentable the ruins of the hotel, the council will then try to recover costs estimated at 200,000 from the site owners. They should bloody sue them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

mike65 wrote: »
    Finally! Work begins soon to secure and make somehow presentable the ruins of the hotel, the council will then try to recover costs estimated at 200,000 from the site owners. They should bloody sue them!

For 200 grand I'd knock it down myself, with a pickaxe :eek: This cost is to make it secure??????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

€200,000 down the drain I'd say. The place will probably be vandalised to the same sorry state it is now before the Tall Ships Races. Not that the place won't be an eyesore even with the work done on it.

I have to say for 200k that whole site could be cleared, if the council can operate on site as things stand then legally they could probably knock it and send the negligent owners the bill. At least it would be gone then, that building will never be used again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I assume that securing the building and making it less of an eye-sore and getting permission to actually knock an eye-sore are two different things. So perhaps the council would never be allowed knock it?

It would be interesting to see them sue given their neglect of the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

mike65 wrote: »
    I have to say for 200k that whole site could be cleared, if the council can operate on site as things stand then legally they could probably knock it and send the negligent owners the bill. At least it would be gone then, that building will never be used again.

Was asking my father about this and he said depending on what kind of materials are there to be disposed of it could be closer to €300,000 to knock it.

This is based on a brown field cinema site that was cleared and built on, about 10 yrs ago.

Shocked me, I thought you could just knock it and cover it up! He said the swimming pool would have to be filled in too.

Advertisement