Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard Rí Hotel..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

thousands of builders on the dole thats all il say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Shocked me, I thought you could just knock it and cover it up! He said the swimming pool would have to be filled in too.

Put hotel in the pool! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

mike65 wrote: »
    send the negligent owners the bill.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

the reality is, no matter what they do in the short term, the thing is going to have to come down eventually. So why waste money 'cleaning it up' when its going to be knocked eventually, just knock the bloody thing already!

We had this same problem in New Ross, the Royal Hotel, a closed up dilapidated building in the centre of town was knocked after a fire made it unsafe, it was like a blessing for anyone in the vicinity because it was a complete eyesore to the whole area. The same as with the Ard Rí, planning had been refused on it a few times so the owners had left it to rot. The council were then FORCED to knock it and are now recovering the costs from the owners.

The same should be done with the Ard Rí

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ledger wrote: »
    The same should be done with the Ard Rí

Thing is other then being an eyesore its not unsafe to anyone but the idiots who constantly break into it and make ****e of the place, if it feel down in the morning it wouldn't fall on anyone.

As you said the hotel in Wexford was in the middle of Wexford so if it fell it would be a massive safety issue.

In short, there's no real reason why the council would take on the job especially when it would cost so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

it would probably come down on the dual carraigeway i'd imagine.

But yes it is true it's not dangerous, yet, i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

It might not be dangerous yet,but I'm sure there is people drinking up there on the weekends,and when one of them falls off the roof or out one of the windows then I'm sure the council or the owner will be forced to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

I'd love to know who the genius was that rang the fire brigade a few months ago when one of the rooms caught fire? If i was driving the crew to that call i would have taken the scenic route :-) Fire station to dunmore, tramore and then on to the Ard Ri via Dunvarvan.. haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thing is other then being an eyesore its not unsafe to anyone but the idiots who constantly break into it and make ****e of the place, if it feel down in the morning it wouldn't fall on anyone.

The Ardree is a modern reinforced concrete building. The only things that'll bring it down are explosives or a big wrecking ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

It was a nice hotel when it was up and running, used to swim there as a little lad.
    The only things that'll bring it down are explosives or a big wrecking ball.

Everyone here willing to chip in a tenner each for the wrecking ball, can we wait till halloween maybe? How many black cats do you reckon it'll take?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

it was said before on this thread and i,ll say it again, for the grand finale of the spraoi weekend when the fireworks are just about finished, the ard ri should go with a bang!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

it was said before on this thread and i,ll say it again, for the grand finale of the spraoi weekend when the fireworks are just about finished, the ard ri should go with a bang!!

And the grain mills and let the phoenix rise from the ashes:)

2011>

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

danjo-xx wrote: »

2011>

Protected structures i think, i think they are the first reinforced concrete buildings in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

The Grain Mills need to be emptied first and the waste left in them disposed of safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

always taught it would have made a great urban indoor outdoor pursuit center with a little effort put into it the way it,,paint balling absaling ect:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The Ardree is a modern reinforced concrete building. The only things that'll bring it down are explosives or a big wrecking ball.

Eactly my mind, so unless you get idiots jumping out of windows its really not a health and safety hazard. if they do fall off the roof or out of a window they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Cabaal wrote: »
    Eactly my mind, so unless you get idiots jumping out of windows its really not a health and safety hazard. if they do fall off the roof or out of a window they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Of course your right in theory but even if some fools did go up and fall through the floor or something then they'd still have a pretty serious case against the owners right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

ziedth wrote: »
    Of course your right in theory but even if some fools did go up and fall through the floor or something then they'd still have a pretty serious case against the owners right?

.... and shortly the council for "Not Securing" it enouigh, as it was they who are going to do the "Securing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

if there is a chance of this being knocked is there realistically any way it would be done before the tall ships....I'm sure if they had to do it they would first have to set up a task force, put the demolition contract out to tender, survey the site, demolish it, clean up the general are....

I doubt all this could be achieved before the end of the summer.....the only way it can be prevented from being an eyesore is it is covered with a banner which would have say a logo for the tall ships such as these -

BuildingFlag.jpg

3000784078_333f844342.jpg

24cads1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Anyone ever go up to the hotel recently for a look? I am dying to see what's there.

Heard there are loads of junkies there - is that just a rumour or is there truth in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

danjo-xx wrote: »

A phoenix? More like the souls of a million dead rats!

A big spraoi explosives/firewords spectacular that would get rid of all the cities eyesores would be great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Had my communion up there - back when it was a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I had my debs up there about 6 years ago..... even remember went for dinner there about 4 or 5 years ago, mad how something can fall into such disrepair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I remember rolling sideways down the hill as a kid. The first bit anyway, not the lower steeper part out onto the road! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I went up there to take some photos today with a friend. The place is just destroyed.. Its like a bomb went off up there. I was looking on youtube tonight and found this:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Broken window theory anyone? The only reason it was allowed to get into such a state was because it was at the top of a hill well back from the road or any houses.

Out of "sight", out of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Dabzarch

dazftw wrote: »
    I went up there to take some photos today with a friend. The place is just destroyed.. Its like a bomb went off up there. I was looking on youtube tonight and found this:

Cant believe it is that bad! Jez i remember being at the Engineering Ball there in early 2003, first year in college. Surreal looking at the place in that video because I can remember that night very well!... The bar...ballroom etc.

On another note that video was excellent. Should send it to all the councillors I bet they haven't seen it in this state!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

What exactly happened to this hotel?Like why did it close and why was left to get into this state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

It's sad to see that a hotel that was left in perfect condition 5 years ago could be destroyed so quickly and so thoroughly by scum from our city. And that 200k will be wasted on "securing" the building instead of prosecuting them.

• Advertisement

Rud wrote: »
    What exactly happened to this hotel?Like why did it close and why was left to get into this state?

The hotel closed and scumbags got into it and made ****e of it basically, oh and they also set fire to it.

Advertisement