Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Ryan tribute - what's the song? Help...

• 04-05-2010 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

On the Sat 2FM tribute and on the one this morning they played a selection of clips over a beautiful, touching song (male vocalist). Please, can someone tell me what the song is? Really want to buy it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Is it Friends in Time by the Golden Horde?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SamG

That's the one... Thank you! Brought a tear to my eye in the context. Don't know where the hell I was when this first came out but hearing it on Sat was the first time I ever heard that song. Mind you, I lived in the States in late 80s/early 90s so I s'pose I missed it then. Was it a big hit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Great Song, Ronan Keating did a version of it on one of his albums a few years back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Beautiful song. Never fails to move me. Particularly in the context in which it has been played in the last few days .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chasingcars

Another song question. What is the tune gerry plays when he introduces nob nation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

SamG wrote: »
    That's the one... Thank you! Brought a tear to my eye in the context. Don't know where the hell I was when this first came out but hearing it on Sat was the first time I ever heard that song. Mind you, I lived in the States in late 80s/early 90s so I s'pose I missed it then. Was it a big hit?

I just looked at a Golden Horde fansite and it seems the song only got to number 14 in the Irish charts. It was played a lot on the radio at the time though. It doesn't seem to be on iTunes but I think it has shown up on some Irish compilation albums. I know it's definitely on "Tom Dunne's Alternative Irish Anthems"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭fascination

Great song. Thanks for this link.
    I think Gerry played the music from 2001 A Space Odyssey before Nob Nation....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWnmCu3U09w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

The Muppet wrote: »
    Great Song, Ronan Keating did a version of it on one of his albums a few years back as well.

Did he really - bet his version is better than the original with his uniquely nasal way of singing.

Did he really? - bet his version is better than the original with his uniquely nasal way of singing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Friends in time - brilliant song, brought back so many great memories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

at the end of the tribute on the saturday morning , when evelyn was signing off, they played a final song..............anyone remember what it was ? it was kinda, andrea bocelli like (but not him) but that kinda music. i remember thinking i must remember the name , cause it was lovely....but of course forgot, and now its bugging me !

at the end of the tribute on the saturday morning , when evelyn was signing off, they played a final song..............anyone remember what it was ? it was kinda, andrea bocelli like (but not him) but that kinda music. i remember thinking i must remember the name , cause it was lovely....but of course forgot, and now its bugging me !

I didn't hear the song but I am guessing it was 'Time to say goodbye'.

Chriskavo wrote: »
    I didn't hear the song but I am guessing it was 'Time to say goodbye'.

thanks but no it wasn't that, i know that song well, thats why i mentioned andrea, cause it's that kinda song, but not that.

thanks but no it wasn't that, i know that song well, thats why i mentioned andrea, cause it's that kinda song, but not that.

Try going through 2fms archive on the web and you should be able to get a replay of the show. Fast forward to the end and voila! you have your song.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Ruined it he did.

Try going through 2fms archive on the web and you should be able to get a replay of the show. Fast forward to the end and voila! you have your song.;)

nice try again but that was my first port of call, they have all the dialogue from the shows but no music included (which is kinda odd considering each song is in tribute and thus part of the 'tribute show', not just a random song but it must be something to do with copyright maybe i dunno !)

go again chris !!! you get it next time !:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Did he really? - bet his version is better than the original with his uniquely nasal way of singing.

Ro's version was actually quite good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

sambora wrote: »
    Ro's version was actually quite good!

This does not make any sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Any further off-topic or abusive (or both chris!!) will result in bans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cailineile13

As far as I remember, it was a song called Come What May from the Moulin Rouge film....at least I think that's what it was!

Don't know how to embed, so here's the linky for youtube...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APzYBz8V7gA

• Advertisement

As far as I remember, it was a song called Come What May from the Moulin Rouge film....at least I think that's what it was!

Don't know how to embed, so here's the linky for youtube...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APzYBz8V7gA

Perfect.......thats exactly it ! thanks cailineile..............though in afterthought perhaps i shouldn't have compared ewan mc gregor to andrea bocelli !! lol

lovely song, and it was sad in the context it was played :( ah poor gerry, miss him in the morns......and you only realise how much when you occasionally hear a snippet of an old show !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cailineile13

talk about a tearjerker alright! tbh, I think Ewan McGregor would love to be told he sounds like Andrea Bocelli :D
    Song was perfect at the time, brought a tear to my eye when I listened to again! It is weird when you catch his voice on something now, and you think "Ahh great, Gerry's back....ohh wait....":(

Perfect.......thats exactly it ! thanks cailineile..............though in afterthought perhaps i shouldn't have compared ewan mc gregor to andrea bocelli !! lol

lovely song, and it was sad in the context it was played :( ah poor gerry, miss him in the morns......and you only realise how much when you occasionally hear a snippet of an old show !

Glad you got your song Bette and a fine song it is too, though I bet Ronan would do a better version ;)! And Gerry was the best - the mornings are just not the same without him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement