Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap house insurance

Options
  • 04-05-2010 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Does anyone which company is doing the best deals on house insurance at present ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

FBD seem to be the cheapest around mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Does ireland have home insurance comparison websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭angelmum

we were with fbd last year and there's an increase in their price for this year so we shop around rang 123.ie, fbd (for a possible discount for renewal, boi and found aib to be better deal so we're with them at the moment. it won't hurt to shop around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I was with 123.ie but after the renewal went up by 80 euro, I shopped around and Zurich were 110 cheaper.

My gran's insurance with AIG was 384 but Zurich did the exact same cover for 313. AA wanted 390 and FBD wanted 510:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

tunner wrote: »

They were until I found this on boards.ie, knocked the socks off FBD's quote

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1279

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 hed

I went to an insurance broker, Glennons insurance in Dublin, they bet everyone hands down, BOI had said they could match anyone that I got a quote from but they couldn't match Glennons price. I have everything insured with them, find them great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

Jesus man. Ive been with glennons with my car insurance for the past 10 years and they always beat everyone but I didnt even know they did house insurance.... Arent I the fool now....Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

These are offering 6 months cover free - when you switch or take out a new policy.

I don't know if its cheap though, just saw the ad.

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/whatweoffer/insurance/homeinsurance/

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hed

Jesus man. Ive been with glennons with my car insurance for the past 10 years and they always beat everyone but I didnt even know they did house insurance.... Arent I the fool now....Doh!
    Just to make u feel even better... They also do life insurance, beats them all except 123's special first year rate!!!!
    Claire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 s_ray

hed wrote: »
    I went to an insurance broker, Glennons insurance in Dublin, they bet everyone hands down, BOI had said they could match anyone that I got a quote from but they couldn't match Glennons price. I have everything insured with them, find them great!!

Any contact details for these...

• Advertisement

s_ray wrote: »
    Any contact details for these...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=glennons+insurance

I just shopped around for my dad's house insurance which had gone up by almost €150 with 123. I found getcover.ie to be the cheapest (not sure who the underwriters are). Zurich were a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Shifty wrote: »
    These are offering 6 months cover free - when you switch or take out a new policy.

I don't know if its cheap though, just saw the ad.

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/whatweoffer/insurance/homeinsurance/

They are tinkering around with the figures there to make you believe you are getting 6 months free.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

got mine with Allianz last week..AIB had increased mine by an extra €150 which broughyt it up to €600 Allianz insured me for €250:rolleyes:mad i didnt check around for the last few years:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Just rang Glennons and wont quote me as Im not in their group scheme :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Just rang Permanent TSB and got a quote for €257, which was the lowest quote by €50. The highest was Aviva at, €607. I rang eight different insurers, including 123.ie as I have the car with them, so it really pays to shop around. P.s, PermanentTSB have the first six months free and you can either pay it off in one go or pay by six monthly direct payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 yvonnekdublin

Hi everyone, looking to chat to three people in the same estate who are looking for cheaper house insuarance for TV programme. If three of your pals are interested give me a shout, Yvonne

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tall chapy

I was with AA but this year they decided to really stick the boot in.
    They decided to send me a renewal quote and an alternative quote. The renewal quote was well over €200 dearer than last year's premium.They also included an alternative quote which was still over €100 dear than last year. They sent me 2 schedules without distinguishing which related to which quote. The alternative quote (lowest) you could guess was the one with the higher increased excess. It is important to always keep last year's policy handy to compare. The bit that really pi55ed me off was their renewal quote also ammended the excess upward IMHO this is misleading as it should then state ammended renewal.
    Anyway called them up they said they would reduce it by a massive €20. I laughed at this along with his reason for the renewal not being labelled a ammended renewal.
    Something to watch out for is that some insurers due to the 'higher claims' they have increased their excesses on standard stuff & have even gone to the lengths of under 'Stealing'. What you will not be insured for - loss or damage caused by any person who legally entered your the buildings. This could be standard on some policy

Tried some of the online websites some were even higher. The exception was I think GetCover which were something like €120 cheaper than last year which maybe wrongly set off alarm bells in my head.
    Tried Aviva which allegedly are the cheapest for Dublin. They were slighly dearer than AA but if I reduced my cover for buildings & contents. Aviva start to become cheaper.If I reduced my building cover by nearly 20% and contents by the same. I got a €30 drop from AA but with Aviva it dropped by €80.
    I went to simply mortgages and they quoted me for the same coverage with Aviva and it was €30 cheaper again. In the end I dropped my cover by on last year's buildings and contents by 10% each and my renewal was about €10 dearer than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

tantipie wrote: »
    got mine with Allianz last week..AIB had increased mine by an extra €150 which broughyt it up to €600 Allianz insured me for €250:rolleyes:mad i didnt check around for the last few years:mad:

Same as us! we saved €350 moving from boi to allianz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement