Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about having accounts in another country

Options
  • 04-05-2010 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hey all,

Just got a quick question about Barclaycard. I've had an account there since forever, and I found out this week that they had closed the account on the quiet without telling me anything about it! The first I heard of it is when I tried to buy something on the card and it was declined.
    When I phoned them up to complain about it, they told me some crap about how they cancelled it cause I was in the Republic of Ireland, but that didn't matter in the past, and it hasn't mattered in the last few years I've lived here! I didn't owe any money on the card at the time it was cancelled, but I used to use it a lot, and I've always paid back on time. Are they within their rights to do something like this?
    Does anyone here have any experiences like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

did you tell them you were now resident in a different country to the one you took the card out in?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Padgeman

100gSoma wrote: »
    did you tell them you were now resident in a different country to the one you took the card out in?

Yeah definitely, they've been sending statements and stuff here for the last 8 years :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Padgeman wrote: »
    Yeah definitely, they've been sending statements and stuff here for the last 8 years :pac:

You're not going to get any joy over the phone. A letter is going to be needed stating the problem. I would also ask for the terms and conditions. Now granted you should be paying the government credit card duty as you are normally resi in the republic but I can't understand why it would be closed unless there's a term stating that the care must be used every few months or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd be hugely surprised if the T&C's don't have a clause allowing them to revoke the card at any time/after a period of non-usage, to be completely honest.

Sounds like they were clearing up inactive/higher risk accounts and you got caught in the sweep.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Padgeman

Hmmm. I guess I should have looked a bit more carefully at the Terms and Conditions. Wouldn't have minded a bit more warning from them though, as opposed to just stopping my card and saying nothing about it... I may send them a letter! Thanks all :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement