Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Breastfed Baby out for dinner [Mod Warning Post #28]

Options
  • 04-05-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Where can this be done in Galway? He's a great baby & won't be any bother but most places not suitable. I just don't want to give up my dinners out, he rarely cries, wonder are places welcoming or not? Ay experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Places with litte 'snug' areas might be easier for you to manage. I don't see why it would be a problem for anyone once kids are allowed, but I know for some people it is:rolleyes: Maybe Ard Bia? Just ring and ask, they have the snug there too. I've seen some babas in Tamarind too, but not sure if they were just there for visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I've seen quite a few places in town with signs on the windows openly welcoming it.

Most places will be perfectly fine with it. It would actually take rather shítty management to kick up a stink.

Natural part of life and so on so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I've seen babies being breastfed in The Thai garden... really though wouldn't any restaurant be 'suitable'? Are you looking for places where we have had positive experiences, places with 'snugs' because in my opinion you should be allowed and feel comfortable breastfeeding your little one in any restaurant..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

yeah in fairness... if there's any restaurant that doesn't let you feed the little guy in their establishment let us know so I can be sure not to give them any of MY business either :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Well it's against the law for an establishment not to allow it or to ask a breastfeeding mother to move so that's not an issue. If you haven't fed in public before the first time can be quite hard as you imagine everyone is looking after that you really don't give a hoot. For the first time I'd go for lunch or coffee.

I've fed in Revive, Clybaun and Salthill Hotels, Javas and the Oslo and Lohans in Salthill. If your little man is a slow feeder you might want somewhere with a sofa. Revive was very uncomfortable as there was no buggy space and the tables are just jammed in.

Ard Bia on Nimmo's Pier has a snug with a sofa in it for dinner, Milano is very friendly but also noisy and open, we went for Sunday Lunch in the Twelve and found it very busy too. Worst was McDonaghs restaurant, it was empty but the waitress wouldn't come and take our order until James had his lunch finished!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Hi Gaeilgegrinds1!
    I had a positive experience in most places where I tried, the only problem is more with older clients than the management. You might get "looks" from older ladies not au fait with the revival of breastfeeding! I found The Noodle House and Kashmir no problem... Depends on where you sit, so you might go in a bit early to make sure you get a table near a wall for more discrete and quiet feeding. Also you will probably (hopefully!) find that your baby will soon not need so many feeds, and you can feed him before and after going out if needed.
    I'd really encourage you to keep at it, it was a wonderful experience for me (and my girls I hope!), and I nearly miss it now they are all grown-up.
    Don't listen to well-meaning advice from women who didn't breastfeed or didn't enjoy it, it's actually so practical, quick, resting and calming. Just get your partner to do all the rest if possible!:D Great for travelling and visiting, just grab nappies stuff and you're off!
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

Why not just get someone to mind the child, or maybe put some of your breast milk into a bottle? Maybe theres a reason for why restaurants do not allow this, i know if i went out for a meal i wouldn't like to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

If the sight of a mother feeding her baby is so offensive might I suggest not looking? Remember you can control what you see not what you hear. (due to the lack of earlids!) As for restaurants that do not allow this, it is probably more to due with the fact they can't stand the concept of someone eating for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Call around to a few places, and ask on the phone are infants welcome (and until what time).

If they say you are welcome, great. If not, then at least you know.

Why not just get someone to mind the child, or maybe put some of your breast milk into a bottle? Maybe theres a reason for why restaurants do not allow this, i know if i went out for a meal i wouldn't like to see it

I think it's hilarious that you find a baby feeding offensive and yet have that sig. You've pretty much confirmed my opinion of you now, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

No outside food!

Really though, I imagine anywhere would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

2 friends of mine with infants were a bit conscious themselves of feeding in public. One bought some sort of breastfeeding cover and the other used a strategically placed pashmina and both were happy with these. They never had any issue anywhere tho; I think it's pretty shocking to think that business owners would tbh, and if they do they should be named and shamed.

Artisan have a nice snug aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

In answer to Stellaartois, I second Eman Resu! As long as the breastfeeding is kept fairly private, nobody is forcing you to look!:rolleyes: Look at your friend/partner!
    Also, you might be out for the day, or travelling to another city, and baby-sitting is not an option.
    Plus, in the long run, a baby/child has to get used to being out in restaurants/ public venues and behaving appropriately. I often hear people saying they will not bring their children out for fear they would misbehave. Well, if they had got used to sharing public space with others, that would not happen, at least not often. There are few things as nice as a family gourmet outing, where the conversation is flowing and you learn a lot about your children! I'd say, start them young! And, no, I don't mean going to the "family restaurants", a misnomer in my opinion. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My baby is nearly 13 years old before legislation to protect breastfeeding mothers was introduced. I breastfed him until he was 15 months and I breastfed his older brother before him. I breastfed anywhere when required and not once had did I experience any negative comment, vibe or otherwise from young or old. With experience you become very discreet at it and no boob on show.

The only negative comments I got were from certain family/inlaws that breastfeeding was disgusting, or once I got past a few weeks breastfeeding that I should switch to formula. Guess who's got the healthier children and they don't even know who their gp is, it must be easily 9 or 10 years since they last saw their gp.

The Irish Law:
    The Equal Status Act (2000) protects people from discrimination and harassment (including sexual harassment) in the use of and access to a wide range of services including shops and restaurants. Protection for mums breastfeeding in public is provided under two of the nine discriminatory grounds covered by the Act –

The Gender and Family Status grounds.
    This Act helps mums to breastfeed comfortably in public places by protecting them from being discriminated against or harassed because they are breastfeeding. (Discrimination is less favourable treatment, for example, asking someone to leave a premises because they are breastfeeding.)

The Intoxicating Liquor Act (2003) - Section 19 protects against discrimination occurring in a public house and provides access to the District Court for redress. Harassment is unwanted conduct (of a sexual nature in the case of sexual harassment) related to any of the discriminatory grounds covered by the Equal Status Act which has the purpose or effect of violating a person's dignity and creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for the person, in this case a breastfeeding mother.

Breastfeeding is the normal and natural way to feed your baby and you should feel beautiful, proud and confident in your decision to breastfeed. There are advantages to breastfeeding for even short periods. To make the most of these advantages you should aim to:

Breastfeed exclusively for the first six months
    Continue breastfeeding after that, for as long as you can, as part ofyour baby’s healthy diet.
    Your baby can look for food or comfort anywhere and at anytime. Feel free to offer your baby a breastfeed whenever and wherever he or she needs it.

Tips for feeding in Public:
    You don’t have to ask to breastfeed. You can breastfeed anywhere you and your baby want or need to.

Wear clothes that make it easier:
    Breastfeeding tops - Boob tops are the most discreet and best we have found!
    Nursing bra
    Bring a pashmina to drape over yourself – hides everything for the early fumbly days
    Get a sling and feed your babe while in the sling – easy!
    Feed early. Don’t wait until your baby gets too hungry or distressed, thatway you’ll both be more relaxed and feeding will go more smoothly. Or it can all get a bit hassled and frassled (we’ve all been there!)
    If you feel unsure about breastfeeding outside home bring your partner or a friend along for support until you become more confident.
    Find out if there are any restaurants, shopping centres, hotels or other places in your area that particularly welcome breastfeeding (we’re working on a list for you!)
    If you would prefer more privacy, ask if the restaurant, hotel or shopping centre has a private feeding room (not a toilet area) available for your use. Or choose a seat in a quiet corner where you can turn your back to the room.
    If you are happy to breastfeed in a public area the owner, manager or staff of these premises (on their own behalf or on behalf of another customer) are not allowed to ask you to use separate facilities, or ask you to leave.
    If you inform management and staff that you are being harassed by other customers for breastfeeding in public, they have a duty to protect you from this.
    Breastfeeding makes it easy to go anywhere with your baby, particularly when you are travelling by car, bus, train or air.
    You don’t have to carry feeding equipment or worry about keeping bottles fresh and germ free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

milanos is very baby friendly. I have bf lots of places in galway and never had a negative experience - the only person who looked embarassed was me, when I first started out. Enjoy your night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Didn't realise there was a revival..when did it die off? It reminds me of going on holiday with my girlfriend. She went sunbathing topless the first two days of the trip. Ranting about how every girl does it and who cares who see's, everyone would have seen it before on other holidays.

I had never gone on holiday in Europe before and hadn't seen it. Anyway it stopped after two days when she realised there were a couple of older men around the pool, they weren't even perving. For some reason as long as the people watching her weren't old, it was ok. Also there were actually 2 others doing it around the pool too who coincidentally stopped aswell but I reckon that was because they became friendly with others staying in the hotel.

Women! An odd breed!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Why not just get someone to mind the child, or maybe put some of your breast milk into a bottle?
    It's an infant. I wouldn't trust anyone else with my baby.
    No point putting the milk in a bottle, it'll go cold and won't be digested as easily (body temp, chemistry etc.) thereby denying the baby much of nutrition in the stuff to begin with.

Maybe theres a reason for why restaurants do not allow this, i know if i went out for a meal i wouldn't like to see it

In fairness, I would empathise, but most folk wouldn't want to attract attention either and would be discreet. Restaraunts wouldn't/shouldn't dare to approach a breastfeeding mother if they don't want a bad name.

Course, there may always be a primadonna who thinks she's the world's gift to motherhood and lashes them out with gusto when there's an audience, but it takes all sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

They should just charge for corkage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

toiletduck wrote: »
    They should just charge for corkage.

Very droll.

This is the last non-serious post on this thread.

po0k wrote: »
    Restaraunts wouldn't/shouldn't dare to approach a breastfeeding mother if they don't want a bad name.

They'll get more than a bad name, a nice fine too.
    po0k wrote: »
    Course, there may always be a primadonna who thinks she's the world's gift to motherhood and lashes them out with gusto when there's an audience, but it takes all sorts.

Fair play to her. She's helping normalise something in the minds of the public. The only reason a woman should feel the need to cover up when feeding is for her own comfort. There seems to be a perceived requirement for a woman to feel (or at least pretend to feel) a sense of shame when feeding her baby for the world to be OK with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

If you're talking about daytime I find hotels are the best (Radisson, House Hotel etc).
    they have big spaces, couches so it's more relaxed and you can take your time..

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Fair play to her. She's helping normalise something in the minds of the public. The only reason a woman should feel the need to cover up when feeding is for her own comfort.

I think this is wrong. OK mothers might have the right to breast feed where they like, but are you saying its okay for a woman to "lash them out". And before you say just look away remember we are talking about restaurants here and if your sitting in a chair thats directly facing a breast feeding woman how are you supposed to look away. Avoid looking at the person opposite you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think this is wrong. OK mothers might have the right to breast feed where they like, but are you saying its okay for a woman to "lash them out". And before you say just look away remember we are talking about restaurants here and if your sitting in a chair thats directly facing a breast feeding woman how are you supposed to look away. Avoid looking at
    the person opposite you?

No seriously, just look away.

You're over the age of 12 right? So employ the maturity you should have acquired by this stage in your development and look away if there's something you don't want to see. Nobody is holding your head stationary and forcing you to watch.

How can you be expected to go out and eat dinner and not look across the table at the person your there with? Also I don't appreciate your attempts to belittle me by bringing age into it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

A screaming child in a restaurant like Artisan would really bother me.
    A breastfed child wouldn't bother me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Ok, interesting replies, didn't expect it but thanks. Firstly, he's only 6 weeks and rarely cries much so it was the breastfeeding, not noise from him that concerned me. I'd never lash them out, I'm quite conservative about this and as one person said, the only one usually embarrassed is me. I don't like putting it into a bottle as was suggested as I believe the fresher the better, once a night his Dad gives him a bottle but I use formula for that. I really don't think his Dad would like me flashing my breasts at anyone, neither would I have the lack of respect for myself to do it, clothing has come so far that you barely see any skin when I'm doing it & for the most part it often just looking like I'm holding him close.

So back to the topic, I agree, hotels are easiest with the couches but I was delighted when Artisan was mentioned. To be honest, chances are he'll sleep through most meals if fed beforehand but I just wanted yer opinions on this, thanks so much everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Any discussion on breastfeeding in public, as an activity, should take place in the Newborn & Toddlers forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1339

Any discussion from here on not *directly* related to the breastfeeding policy of specific restaurants in Galway will result in infractions and or bans.

/moderation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

Why dont you post on Rollercoaster instead? Lots of tips there for feeders. They have a regional section too. I'd say a lot of people here don't know good places to breastfeed as they aren't parents, therefore havent any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

I fed both my girls in and around Galway and never had an issue - places like Couch Potato where just really arkward and offered no comfort but they had no probs, I can remember going into Buskers one busy Sat and asking for a table in a corner as I'd be feeding and they were fine as well.
    Rather than the feeding issue the prob I found was changing facilities - trying to change baby over my knee in a single toilet in places that puported to be child and baby friendly.
    Like a previous poster I hate crying babies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Bumping an old thread but as most of the replies here are more for evening meals I think...

Any suggestions for where to go for a coffee and be able to feed baby discretely? Somewhere where it isnt too open, easy to get a pram in and out of and has good changing facilities and comfy chairs.

This is all new to me - baby is only 6 weeks - so have never had to think or look for these things before!

Advertisement