Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free to air satellite

Options
  • 04-05-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

okay so i got a free to air satellite in the house about 2 months ago

after about 3 weeks the remote stopped working or worked the odd time, rang them and they came out replaced it...

..went on 2 weeks holidays came back the new remote not working or rarely rang them twice they arranged a time/date to come out and never came... livid I rang them and said I wanted my money back, they said no probs just leave it a day to arrange a technician to come out and remove it... since then they wont answer my calls at all....

now it still works and I like the system but the remote is very stubborn...

I was thinking of taking a smalls claims against them, only thing is I cant fine the receipt they gave me and I can remember the exact date but i can work it out if i really need to....

Is it worth while me taking this any further... Its on e200 odd but its the principle of the thing... let me know what you think folks and if its worth it, I am so angry I wanna slap someone :)

thanks

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Without some kind of proof of purchase, you haven't a leg to stand on, unless the company accepts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Pop into Aldi pick up their multi use remote for 12ish euro. I have one its brilliant. controlls all my digital tv, tv, DVD, stereos etc.

May save you the hassle of dealing with them if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do you have any proof of purchase - receipt, credit card statement, bank statement (if laser)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I didn't see any comment about ever replacing the batteries in the OP's original post?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

grumpy pants do those things in aldi work for free to air boxes? will give it a go if so

du dara cant find the receipt although I did get one

ttm have tried to replace batteries but to no avail thanks for all the replies

paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

grumpy pants do those things in aldi work for free to air boxes? will give it a go if so

They should.. any other programmable remote should work also.

Proof of purchase should be fine.. It doesn't have to be a receipt.. Bank/Visa statement showing payment is a proof of purchase :)

It's a simple fix to remedy the situation.. so the easy route is to just buy another remote..

But you are correct, why should you take crap service from them.. Problem is SCC will cost about 15 Euro.. so you kinda end up out of pocket.. but it's small money for the satisfaction of forcing them to remedy the situation. :)

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Welease wrote: »
    They should.. any other programmable remote should work also.

Proof of purchase should be fine.. It doesn't have to be a receipt.. Bank/Visa statement showing payment is a proof of purchase :)

It's a simple fix to remedy the situation.. so the easy route is to just buy another remote..

But you are correct, why should you take crap service from them.. Problem is SCC will cost about 15 Euro.. so you kinda end up out of pocket.. but it's small money for the satisfaction of forcing them to remedy the situation. :)

Best of luck.
    i wonder why one would put themselves out so much for a remote control that costs 12 euro in lidl,
    just try new batteries in the one you have
    or failing still
    buy the one in lidl
    what do you want to be putting bother on yourself for that little a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

goat2 wrote: »
    i wonder why one would put themselves out so much for a remote control that costs 12 euro in lidl,
    just try new batteries in the one you have
    or failing still
    buy the one in lidl
    what do you want to be putting bother on yourself for that little a problem.

As the OP said, its not the cost it's the principle of the matter... Why should a company be absolved of their legal responsibilities just because the cost is low?

Personally, I would let it slide, but then I'm part of the problem that companies feel the can provide sh1t service at high cost in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm wondering whether it might not be the remote, seems unlikely that the original and the replacement would both be faulty. Did the engineer examine the sat box when he called?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I know of 2 instances where someone's remote was tempermental.
    In the first case they forgot to peel the protective plastic off the set's IR sensor window.
    In the second case the DVD remote would work half the time, turned out the set was placed too low to the ground and the IR signal wasn't hitting the sensor properly (the actual sensor was a bit back from the window). Placing the set on a higher shelf solved the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

ttm have tried to replace batteries but to no avail thanks for all the replies

paddy

They work with a host of different models so i couldn't say for sure. If you want to i can check your reciever on the list i got with my remote and see if its on it.

I have a Ross Free sat. I havent tried the remote with it yet as im still using my chorus untill thats cancelled. But it controls the chorus and sky boxes. So i would guess it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

By any chance do you have any CFL's (energy saving lamps) in the room.

Some types have been reported to interfere with remotes.

(as will direct sunlight as well)

Advertisement