Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avenged Sevenfold Live '10

Options
  • 04-05-2010 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

Does anyone know;
    According to Ultimate-Guitar.com Avenged Sevenfold are set to headline "up-roar" festival.
    I know that, since the death of Avenged Sevenfold's drummer Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan on December 28th, the band have been recording their new album with Dream Theater drummer, Mike Portnoy.
    My question is; Who shall drum for their live shows?
    Has anyone heard if Mike Portnoy will tour with the band or are they getting a new drummer to replace Portnoy after finishing their new album (due to be finished in thenext few months) or a drummer just for this show?

Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

I would doubt that Portnoy will be on tour with them as Dream Theater will tour the US with Maiden this summer.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/tour/tour.aspx?tourID=1110

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Darmstrong

I would doubt that Portnoy will be on tour with them as Dream Theater will tour the US with Maiden this summer.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/tour/tour.aspx?tourID=1110

Great thanks, thats the first i heard of that! thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Mike said publicly on the Eddie Trunk show last week that he's offered to tour with them if his schedule allows it, as he's an extremely busy man with Dream Theater and Transatlantic on tour, so if its in the Autumn/Winter its possible..

Portnoy also said the albums being mixed at the moment and should be in the can in the next 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Avenged Sevenfold have been Confirmed for this tour, it starts in August. Dream Theater supporting Iron Maiden starts roughly 2 weeks after Transatlantic's stint in Europe ends, and ends about 1-2 weeks before Transatlantic play High voltage in London in the last weekend of July.

Mike has also been quoted as saying on his website forum, when talking bout some cool things that had been announced, that 'we (fans) ain't seen nothin' yet!'. This indicates a strong possibility towards touring with them on this tour. Although he does have little to no time to rehearse, as he's big into family time (save that story for a different day). So it is quite possible he will be bashing thye skins for A7X at some pount in a live setting.

Wonder what effect he'll have on them? I can see him pushing them to the limits of their capabilities, or else just allow them maintain their same ways (most likely, and I won't give my opinion on those ways). Actually, scrap that, I'll do it in a slightly respectful way. A7X have the potential to move it up a gear now. No safety zone, jus go hell for leather. I think they have the potential now if Mike was allowed any input on it. Will be interesting to see. Will be similar vein to Alice in chains latest effort topic wise anyway, apparently to be called Nightmare!

Mushy wrote: »
    Avenged Sevenfold have been Confirmed for this tour, it starts in August. Dream Theater supporting Iron Maiden starts roughly 2 weeks after Transatlantic's stint in Europe ends, and ends about 1-2 weeks before Transatlantic play High voltage in London in the last weekend of July.

Mike has also been quoted as saying on his website forum, when talking bout some cool things that had been announced, that 'we (fans) ain't seen nothin' yet!'. This indicates a strong possibility towards touring with them on this tour. Although he does have little to no time to rehearse, as he's big into family time (save that story for a different day). So it is quite possible he will be bashing thye skins for A7X at some pount in a live setting.

Wonder what effect he'll have on them? I can see him pushing them to the limits of their capabilities, or else just allow them maintain their same ways (most likely, and I won't give my opinion on those ways). Actually, scrap that, I'll do it in a slightly respectful way. A7X have the potential to move it up a gear now. No safety zone, jus go hell for leather. I think they have the potential now if Mike was allowed any input on it. Will be interesting to see. Will be similar vein to Alice in chains latest effort topic wise anyway, apparently to be called Nightmare!

Tbh i've seen AX7 live twice and by god are they ropey as f*ck, so i dunno if someone like MP a total obsessive complusive perfectionist be really into that? But then again if anyone could push them up a gear its him

• Advertisement

Tbh i've seen AX7 live twice and by god are they ropey as f*ck, so i dunno if someone like MP a total obsessive complusive perfectionist be really into that?

I've seen them twice and then also been in same venue as them another time. Both times they were nothing short of muck, and they reeked of pretence. Awfully arogant, they seemed to think they warranted respect...not when prancing around before hero-status bands like Metallica and Maiden.

I'm just taking that Mike quote as part of the rumour, it could mean the long-awaited Mikael Akerfeldt/Steve Wilson/MP setup they want to do together. Back to A7X, thats why I don't think Mike would have had too much input into it, more like go in studio, record, leave kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Darmstrong

A7X have the potential to move it up a gear now. No safety zone, jus go hell for leather. I think they have the potential now if Mike was allowed any input on it. Will be interesting to see.

I think after A7X's last album,personally I found it a bit all over the place, I think that the band could do with something to spice up the mix, even a minimal input from such an iconic drummer should have a large impact on the end product. Any new input on the creative aspect of an album should shine through.

I've not yet seen A7X live yet but I have heard mixed reports, maybe they will need to up their game with live shows if they intend on trying to hold onto MP for some shows.

On a slightly different line of thought I thought it was nice of MP to do the A7X album since he was The Rev's Favorite drummer, he seems like a decent guy.

I've seen them twice and then also been in same venue as them another time. Both times they were nothing short of muck, and they reeked of pretence. Awfully arogant, they seemed to think they warranted respect...not when prancing around before hero-status bands like Metallica and Maiden.

I'm just taking that Mike quote as part of the rumour, it could mean the long-awaited Mikael Akerfeldt/Steve Wilson/MP setup they want to do together. Back to A7X, thats why I don't think Mike would have had too much input into it, more like go in studio, record, leave kinda thing.

Ah absolutely i cant imagine the juvenile arrogance and pretenciousness going down well with such a down to earth guy like MP

Good god i hope the Akerfeldt/Wilson/Portnoy project happens this year although isnt Steve Wilson not a particularly big DT fan musically?

Darmstrong wrote: »
    On a slightly different line of thought I thought it was nice of MP to do the A7X album since he was The Rev's Favorite drummer, he seems like a decent guy.

MP is, IMO, the most decent musician out there. He respects his superiors/icons of music, while using his own band size to create opportunities for smaller bands. Point to prove it is Prog Nation. For Europe, gives Bigelf a big chance, and also brings Opeth up to bigger stage. He partially got this as, thanks to Iron Maiden, DT now play much bigger venues than before. See's it as revolving door kinda way.

Waltersobcheck, yeah that project is like a wet dream for me. Steve does get on with them alright, he's more into Opeth and more progressive stuff though. Doesn't ignore what they've done for modern prog though.

Mike Portnoy has Confirmed himself as the new A7X touring drummer for 2010. He said its pretty much up till ed of this year he'll do it. New Dream Theater album in 2011 it seemed like too. Wonder will he/they do Europe.

First A7X tour date is July 25th (Canada). Transatlantic's last tour date is July 24th (England). There is a machine of a man in our midst.

• Advertisement

Mike Portnoy has Confirmed himself as the new A7X touring drummer for 2010. He said its pretty much up till ed of this year he'll do it. New Dream Theater album in 2011 it seemed like too. Wonder will he/they do Europe.

First A7X tour date is July 25th (Canada). Transatlantic's last tour date is July 24th (England). There is a machine of a man in our midst.

I cant believe im saying this but id now willingly go and see A7X if they toured here:pac:

Big time where does he get the time to do everything? Dream Theater, Transatlantic, OSI, Hail, and now A7X.. And 3 of those bands are touring in the summer:eek::eek: I presume the opportunity to play for a new market(i doubt many 16 year old A7x fans have heard of DT tbh) probably swung the descision.. But where does the Maiden tour fit in with this as i thought that was a 6 week non stop tour in the Summer?

I cant believe im saying this but id now willingly go and see A7X if they toured here:pac:

Big time where does he get the time to do everything? Dream Theater, Transatlantic, OSI, Hail, and now A7X.. And 3 of those bands are touring in the summer:eek::eek: I presume the opportunity to play for a new market(i doubt many 16 year old A7x fans have heard of DT tbh) probably swung the descision.. But where does the Maiden tour fit in with this as i thought that was a 6 week non stop tour in the Summer?

Haha, dunno bout willingly, but may contemplate it now:D

Eh, Transatlantic is April-May, DT/IM is June-July, Transatlantic is July 24th, A7X is from 25th July. Him playing with A7X does open the door for Dream Theater I think, lets hope for a large influx of fans...and an Irish show in 2011/2 after their next album.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Then again I could be absolutely, utterly and completely wrong!!!! :cool:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Mike-Portnoy-Will-Drum-With-Avenged-Sevenfold-Throughout-2010-21321.aspx

Haha, way ahead of ya Devildriver:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 stroopy

Hmm..portnoy with avenged sevenfold. This will be..interesting :p

Advertisement