Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York!

• 04-05-2010 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Found a great package deal to New York this summer.
    It will be me and my boyfriend,
    and we're just wondering - apart from seeing the amazing sights, what would there to be do at night? we're looking to stay in the heart of New York right by central park.
    He doesn't drink and I won't really be drinking at all so activities at night that don't involve alcohol!

:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

For me anyway, Central Park isn't the heart of New York.. Also, the notion that it is the city that never sleeps is a complete myth! Anyway, now that I am done being annoying :)

If you are thinking of going up to the top of the Empire State Buidling, I would suggest going up the Rockerfeller Centre instead - especially in late evening or night time. I prefer the views, the queues are nowhere near as bad, I think it was cheaper and there the viewing platform is far better (glass barriers instead of railings and there is a higher viewing platform in the middle that is completely exposed to the elements). Far far better photographs to be taken too ;)

top-of-the-rock.jpg.

Asides from that, on the 5 or so times I have been in New York, the night time activities have every much been centred around eating and drinking.

Oh yeah, I have been here a few times and couldn't recommend it enough:

http://www.benbensons.com/index2.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I'd have to agree with the previous poster, I don't think Central Park is the heart of NY either.. Last time I was there with my g/f we stayed down on Washington Sq and it was amazing and I would say it's probably where will stay in November.

The most obvious thing to do at night I would say would be to check out a Broadway show.

Also, there's some good suggestions on this site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Not sure how late they run but you could check out a few different types of museums.

Museum of Modern Art

American Museum of Natural History

Museum of Sex

NYC Police Museum

Would be something different to the normal drinking carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I'd recomend the sports museum of america, I'd also recommend the top of the rock instead of the empire state building and the boat tours

Yeah the boat/cruise thingy! I'm going to be doing that hopefully.

Check the 5th one down the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I'd also recommend show on broadway, now I was a 17 year old guy when I went and I went to see Legally Blonde with my family and I must say it was actually really good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In the main Travel forum there is a sticky "The NEW YORK Megathread". It should keep you busy a few hours :)

biko wrote: »
    In the main Travel forum there is a sticky "The NEW YORK Megathread". It should keep you busy a few hours :)

It does keep you very busy!
    Must have another quick run through it before I leave.

Recommend you have a notepad and pen nearby as the info you gather is pretty damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭mackey087

damn it, that photo brings back memories. how about trying a hockey or basketball game in madison garden. went to watch the rangers play and thought it was a great night. i dont watch sports at all but enjoyed it. there are loads of comedy clubs close to time square, guys handin out flyers all over the place. the hop on hop off bus does a night time tour, dont think its to late but its nice to see the skyline from across the broklyn bridge, could try a play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Lolnouska

oh wow!
    i'm soooooo exited for this now, thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge, stay across the river for a while, walk back over as the sun is setting, pretty cool imo. Things like just grabbing a book and a coffee and relaxing in central park (any other city park) for an hour are cool also, a lot hustle and bustle around you and its entertaining watching new yorkers. Go to a NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL game they're pretty entertaining.

Rent a boat in the lake in central park, try and get tickets to the David Letterman, as said have a read of the megathread:)

Advertisement