Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting an older dog

Options
  • 04-05-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I love Irish terriers and have wanted one for years. With the recession and all the average price of 250 squid just aint gonna happen. However, I did see a two year old irish terrier bitch for sale that I could afford. My question is, would I develop the same kind of relationship with this two year old dog? I mean I had always thought of getting a puppy and basically it would be my litlle walking buddy. Would this older dog just miss its previous owner or do you think it would settle ok?
    Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I definitely think it would bond with you :) And it would probably miss its owner at first but if you look after it well then it'll be really happy with you.

2 years old is just out of puppyhood anyway, so it's still really young. And puppies can't go for long walks until they're full grown anyway, so this one would be better for walking.

And it probably really needs a good home since maybe some people wouldn't buy it because it's not a puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I had the same fears as you. All the dogs I had in the past came to me as puppies. But just over a year ago I decided to rescue a dog and I got a two and a half years olf terrier cross. In the beginning we were a bit unsure of each other and, for a while, I thought I would never grow as close to her as I had to my previous pets. But then it just happens! You realise you have fallen in love and the bond is firmly in place. And I think it works the same for them as well - I know she loves me by her reaction and I certainly dont think she ever looks back on her previous life - at least I hope not as I'm sure it wasn't too good.
    I think you should get your dog and I don't think you'll have any regrets. Before too long you'll both wonder how you ever lived without the other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Definitely agree, so many rescue dogs find their forever homes that little bit later in life, but they bond just as well as puppies. I know I'm sentimental, but sometimes I think the older dogs appreciate the owner more, because they might have had a hard time previously:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Our middle dog was 2 years old when we got her six years ago and within a couple of weeks it was as if we'd never been without her. I don't think you'll regret taking on an older dog

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

I definitely think you should go for it. Our first rescue was about 1 and a half when we got him and he bonded really well with my partner. Our second dog was about 3 when we rescued her and she is very attached to me (sometimes too much so!!!) so I don't think you would have any difficulty bonding with a 2 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Two years ago I adopted a pair of adult terriers (Approx 3 and approx 8, at the time). Once they settled in it was like they'd never been anywhere else.

People will tell you, and I believe it just might be true, that dogs live in the present; when they're put in a situation they don't worry about what might happen, or grieve for what's past, they just get on with it. If you adopt an adult dog and behave like it's supposed to be there then the dog will act like it's supposed to be there, and you'll have a wonderful companion for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I actually prefer an adult dog over a pup, same fun minus the mess ;).

Very few of my dogs came as pups and I never had any problems with bonding.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Thanks everyone. I'm excited now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

When I first saw this thread I was expecting a dog who was 8 or 9, not 2! Two is young! He'll still be bounding around like a puppy ;)

I got my two when they were around that age, and we've had no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

You'll have no problem with a 2yr old.
    My little girl was about 6/7 when I brought her home from the rescue centre and she took to life with me no bother....in fact she loved it!

Two years in and we're the best of buddies who have a very strong bond & who are inseperable outside of work and me heading to the pub!

You'll have a great time with your new doggie....go for it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

EGAR wrote: »
    I actually prefer an adult dog over a pup, same fun minus the mess ;).

Very few of my dogs came as pups and I never had any problems with bonding.

I couldn't agree more! As sweet and cute as pups are they are a mother load of work and they can become tedious at times - the phrases "if I have to clean up one more pee..." and "what is he/she eating now?!" come to mind!

Older dogs are brilliant, often come trained (half way there or fully!) and are a joy to have. They are fully grown so you know what size they are going to be, most rescues assess the dogs before they are homed so you will know the dogs temperament (active or lazy, good or bad with kids, calm or excitable etc.) before you bring it home and they appreciate love and attention so much. 2 is still very young for most dogs - loads of fun for years many years ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

My grandmother adopted two older dogs (and I mean older) and she had a better bond with them than most people have with their dogs, so it's definitely a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

May I fervently echo the posts here.

We took in a badly abused collie aged around five, and her gratefulness and affection are awesome.
    The bonding also is humbling.

Most of the time I have a shadow with four legs and a wagging tail. And so often a chin will rest on my knee as the big brown eyes seek mine in assurance. Then she will dance in sheer joy and race off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

i got my dog from ashton pound 4months ago she was 2 on the 29th april and she settled in quite quickly:Dbest of luck if you decide to go ahead and get a doggy..Just an idea have you checked out the dogs in distress website der a fab organisation who work alongside aston pound maybe instead of buying you could rehome a terrier:D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

2 is not old for a dog....if the dog was 5 or older it wil take it a while to get used to its surrondings and for it to build up trust(as most of the time they will have had a difficult life).
    the one big adavtage in getting an older dogs is you dont get some of the annoying behaviours of puppies

Good Luck!

Advertisement