Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D Debit taken after I closed the account.

Options
  • 04-05-2010 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi,

On the 13th of March I went into my local branch and closed my Halifax a/c fillinf out forms etc and everything. The girl even handed me back my remaining 5c balance and said that was everything taken care of.

I got a statement in last week followed by a letter saying I'm overdrawn. A direct debit came out of the account on the 31st of March. 18 days after my account was supposedly closed. It was an initial direct debit set up against the account. I had cancelled this with the originator, however they are not a very reliable company and ringing themvis like talking to a brick wall.

Is Halifax at fault or telling me my account was closed and then 18 days later allowing the originator to set up a direct debit and let oney be taken from the account? Is there any rules concerning an account that is pending closure and is 18days (13 business days) a long time for the closure to be processed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Did you tell the company in writing to cancel the direct debit?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

Davy wrote: »
    Did you tell the company in writing to cancel the direct debit?

It was broadband that I ordered but they never delivered the router. Ater 3 weeks of non receipt I rang them and emailed them telling them to cancel the dd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

greeno wrote: »
    It was broadband that I ordered but they never delivered the router. Ater 3 weeks of non receipt I rang them and emailed them telling them to cancel the dd.

hmm not sure if your covered with email. Once the direct debit is setup the bank have an obligation to pay it until its cancelled it writing by you :o Open to correction on this

Yea but they set it up 18 days after I closed my account. It was an initial payment on an new direct debit. Just pissed that halifax would set this up when an account pending closure.

Cheers for your feedback. My mistake I suppose, just broadband crowd won't listen and here I am 2 months later with nothing delivered theres no way I'm paying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I would consider that this is Halifax's fault for setting up a direct debit against a closed account.

Regardless of the fact that you had cancelled the DD with the originator, when the DD instruction was first presented the account was already closed.

It should have been returned to the originator with instruction that the account was no longer active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

On the 13th of March I went into my local branch and closed my Halifax a/c fillinf out forms etc and everything. The girl even handed me back my remaining 5c balance and said that was everything taken care of.

I got a statement in last week followed by a letter saying I'm overdrawn. A direct debit came out of the account on the 31st of March. 18 days after my account was supposedly closed. It was an initial direct debit set up against the account. I had cancelled this with the originator, however they are not a very reliable company and ringing themvis like talking to a brick wall.

The account may not have been closed. Unsurprisingly Halifax had a backlog of closure requests (and the closures weren't being performed in branch, so the documents you signed would have been sent off elsewhere). When it was closed, you should have recieved a notifcation/closing statement. So theoretically the account, to all intents and purposes may yet have been open when the DD request came in, and Halifax would automatically have paid it out.

The girl in the branch told me that was it closed and handed me my 5c remaining balance so I presumed that was it. Is there any procedures for a direct debit to be set up, surely the account should been marked pending closure especially as this was 18 days after the closure request.

Advertisement