Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring my Jobseekers Benefit to Spain

Options
  • 04-05-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey guys

I am moving to Benalmadena, Costa del Sol for the summer in the hope of finding some work. At the moment I don't have anything set up but as I am on Jobseekers Benefit here, I can get this transferred to Spain for a few weeks to set me up. However I have no idea what or where the Spanish version of our social security offices are. If anybody knows what this is or has any information on how to get in touch with them I would greatly appreciate it! Or if anybody knows of any jobs at the moment in Benalmadena, that too would be very appreciated!

Thanks a million

Ciara

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

CiaraF475 wrote: »
    Hey guys

I am moving to Benalmadena, Costa del Sol for the summer in the hope of finding some work. At the moment I don't have anything set up but as I am on Jobseekers Benefit here, I can get this transferred to Spain for a few weeks to set me up. However I have no idea what or where the Spanish version of our social security offices are. If anybody knows what this is or has any information on how to get in touch with them I would greatly appreciate it! Or if anybody knows of any jobs at the moment in Benalmadena, that too would be very appreciated!

Thanks a million

Ciara

dont think so, or you have to show letters from there with replys from businesses in spain to prove that you are seeking a job there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Maybe just call the social welfare office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Keep in mind the Spanish unemployment rate is 20%, its the highest in the developed world.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I grew up down the road from Benalmádena in Fuengirola, and it's a heavily-touristy area. In the past there's been a reasonably good amount of summer work going there (both of the legitimate kind and the cash-in-hand off-the-books kind), but as others have pointed out the Spanish economy is currently in the toilet to a horrendous extent so I wouldn't rely on finding something once you're there if you've got nothing set up and no advance preparation on looking for work.

If you've got languages this will count in your favour towards any tourist-related work.

You can also have a look at the English-language version of the Seguridad Social website and see what they have to say about it. Without any other details, I'd be quite surprised if it were as simple as you evidently hope it will be.

Advertisement