Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

finding shoes, and pedals. little help required

• 04-05-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Im sick of the clips on my pedals, almost falling at traffic lights, and taking ages to get my foot back in when the light goes green.
    To this end, I want to get a set of clipless pedals and shoes to go with them.

I want a pair of shoes/runners that i can walk around in as per normal, that look moderately regular, but also clip to the pedals. I know that i need touring shoes but this is where my expertise ends. So, my questions are:

what are your recommendations for pedals and shoes to go with them?

when the clips wear, can they be replaced or do you need new shoes?

My budget is the lower end of 100 euros, and i have an average racing/road bike.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

shimano spds (the mtb ones)
    i have these on the commuter
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759

shoes go to a shop and try some loads out there

yes cleats are replaceable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

And there are about 5 types of shoe under GBP50 here. I'm using these ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'm using these ones.

I have the same shoes. The least waterproof shoes I've owned. Not that they claim to be waterproof, but it's as if the shoes wet themselves with fear if they even hear mention of water.*

I'm thinking about the MT60's, does anyone have any experience?

DFD**

*I may be exaggerating.

**DryFeetDesired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

furiousox wrote: »

it says UK delivery only did you get them elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Got a pair of Shimano MT41s off Cyclesuperstore last year. (Couldn't find them just looking now) No complaints so far. They're good enough and manageable to walk in. There's no real flex in them though to walk too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I'm thinking about the MT60's, does anyone have any experience?

DFD**

*I may be exaggerating.

**DryFeetDesired.

If you want waterproof, the Shimano MW80s are the business. Also I've heard good things about the Lake MX140

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

Thanks for the advice folks. Il be calling out to cycle superstore next week and trying on a pair of Shimano MT60's:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_MT60_MTB_Cycling_Shoes/5360040188/

to go with the M520 pedals:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759

sure they are not the lightest pedal, but at my level a few grams wont make a whole lot of difference. Waterproof is a consideration, hence the MT60's over some of the other lighter shoes.

Let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

On my commuter I use these simano M324 SPD pedals and Shimano MT41 ATB shoes works out well as I also use the bike when out and about with the kids and can wear non cyclin shoes.

Like DFD's shoes these are atrocious in wet weather and take an age to dry out. In the wet I have been using my decent waterproof overshoes but have ended up destroying them as they are made for road shoes. I need to investigate an overshow that will work with these shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I haven't found them taking ages to dry but you can see that much of the upper is an open mesh. They don't claim to be waterproof at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I haven't found them taking ages to dry but you can see that much of the upper is an open mesh. They don't claim to be waterproof at all.
    Agreed, they don't claim to be waterproof and for really wet weather, or if it looks like it will be raining for a prolonged period of time, I'll get out my overshoes, or consider other footwear in the first place.

However, it's nice to have shoes that can 'survive' cycling through a puddle, walking on wet grass, pushing through a 'summer' shower that you know will only last a few minutes.

These shoes won't keep you dry during the period that you get off your bike to put on your overshoes. I'm sure they're great for lots of conditions, just not ones involving water.

DFD*

*DemonstratingFunctionalDetriments

Advertisement