Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FCA1 Questions...

Options
  • 04-05-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Alright lads,

Just filling in the FCA1 renewal form, and was wondering, who did ye put for character referees? As in, who would be acceptable? Parents, relatives, doctors, etc? Stumped by it.

Also, I have both a shotgun and a rifle. Now, in the section where you fill in Land Permissions, it says 'i intend to use the above shotgun at lands below...' or something to that effect. Does this mean I can't us my rifle on the same lands? Does the rifle have to be sued on an authorised range / rifle club? And if I'm using both for hunting, do I have to have the 'relevant license' from the NPWS?

Help! :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A professional and a friend (someone similar) that can vouch for your character generally seems to be the preferred choices. Alot of lads used other gun club/rifle club/range members as referees. It cannot be a direct family member or Garda AFAIK. Don't fret it too much. As i said they are only there so if the gardai choose to contact them they will vouch for your character and ability to safely handle and use the firearms.

With regard to the two firearms. If you use both on the same lands then there is nothing stopping you from applying for both on the same lands. It is not the lands that are in question more so the use you deem they are needed for. For instance the shotgun would be used on the lands for close up vermin culling. The rifle then for the longer shots were a shotgun is just not practical.

A license from the NPWS would onl be needed should you intend to hunt any animal that while in season requires a license, such as deer. If this is the case you must aply to the NPWS for the relevant license, if not then no license is needed (pheasant, duck, etc)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

I put down my GP and my solicitor.

No reasion you can't put down the same lands for both firearms as they serve different purposes, a little note wouldn't go astray explaining that the rifle is used for ie; fox rabbit, vermin etc and the shotgun for game, pigeon etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Alright lads,

Just filling in the FCA1 renewal form, and was wondering, who did ye put for character referees? As in, who would be acceptable? Parents, relatives, doctors, etc? Stumped by it.(Family Member and someone outside family of good character)

Also, I have both a shotgun and a rifle. Now, in the section where you fill in Land Permissions, it says 'i intend to use the above shotgun at lands below...' or something to that effect. Does this mean I can't us my rifle on the same lands? Does the rifle have to be sued on an authorised range / rifle club?The rifle has to only be used at a club if it was ONLY applied for to use at a club And if I'm using both for hunting, do I have to have the 'relevant license' from the NPWS? NWPS part is only for Exempted wild animals eg DeerA licence to shoot rabbits foxes etc is not required to tick the box for EXEMPTED wild animals or birds
    If you have a sporting rifle say intend to shoot on Range AND to hunt on lands stated

I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Beretta man

I used my wife and gun club chairman with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

i just used the two people that were closest to me when i was filling them out! It happened to me my mother and my brother.

Guards had no problem with it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

and I used two friends, no problems getting the license :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Have a look here and also here

These should really be in the important threads thread, the question has been asked so many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rrpc wrote: »
    These should really be in the important threads thread, the question has been asked so many times.
    To be fair, the great big announcement in red text at the top of the shooting forum should be sufficient to that :D
    And it does link to this: How do I apply for a firearms licence in Ireland? Now updated for 2009...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Sparks wrote: »
    To be fair, the great big announcement in red text at the top of the shooting forum should be sufficient to that :D
    And it does link to this: How do I apply for a firearms licence in Ireland? Now updated for 2009...

Apologies, was in a mad hurry last night, so just popped that thread up before I ran out the door :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Also, and I'm sure it won't apply in this case, but please make sure the people you're putting down as referees KNOW you're doing so and have agreed to it; I've heard of a couple of cases of people getting calls out of the blue (as far as they're concerned) from the Gardai looking for their thoughts on someone's 'suitability' to possess firearms.
    AFAIK, those couple of case worked out okay as the unsuspecting referee was willing to play ball, but it's not something you should land on a family member or professional person of your acquaintance, and it looks REALLY bad from the point of view of the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Alright lads,

Just filling in the FCA1 renewal form, and was wondering, who did ye put for character referees? As in, who would be acceptable? Parents, relatives, doctors, etc? Stumped by it.

Also, I have both a shotgun and a rifle. Now, in the section where you fill in Land Permissions, it says 'i intend to use the above shotgun at lands below...' or something to that effect. Does this mean I can't us my rifle on the same lands? Does the rifle have to be sued on an authorised range / rifle club? And if I'm using both for hunting, do I have to have the 'relevant license' from the NPWS?

A./ I put my GP and my manager in work as my referees, you'l have to ask them if they dont mind being named as your referee first and you'll have to get their DOBs aswell for the form.

B./ You can AFAIK use the same lands for shotgun and rifle, you have to fill in two seperate FCA1 forms, one for each gun.
    For my .223 rifle after I sent in my FCA1 form the local Garda rang me and requested copies of the permission letters I got from the landowners so you dont have to use you rifle on an authorised ranges as long as you have permission to shoot on a couple of farmers land.
    C.\ Whats NPWS ?sorry !!!

vixdname wrote: »
    A./ I put my GP and my manager in work as my referees, you'l have to ask them if they dont mind being named as your referee first and you'll have to get their DOBs aswell for the form.

B./ You can AFAIK use the same lands for shotgun and rifle, you have to fill in two seperate FCA1 forms, one for each gun.
    For my .223 rifle after I sent in my FCA1 form the local Garda rang me and requested copies of the permission letters I got from the landowners so you dont have to use you rifle on an authorised ranges as long as you have permission to shoot on a couple of farmers land.
    C.\ Whats NPWS ?sorry !!!

Its national parks and wildlife service.

If you do not want to shoot exempted don't worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

i used my mother and father :D

i used my mother and father :D

but they are biased as they love you no matter what :D:D

I do believe it's only an issue if it's your first application.
    That you are not looney!!

My local said not to worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I cannot see the guards checking 2 refs for all 100,000 firearms owners, like the GP thing, it is a waste of time.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I cannot see the guards checking 2 refs for all 100,000 firearms owners, like the GP thing, it is a waste of time.

They never checked mine, but they knew me. If they do not know you they may check!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

My F/O didn't know me from adam, and did check both my references.
    Rang them up for a chat and to see if I was kosher:
    One was my accountant (who's a good mate too), who's known me for about 16 years.
    The other reference was a very good schoolmate, who's known me for about 27 years (who also happens to be a solicitor).

So, lads:

1. Do not assume that the references won't be checked, they probably will be (or at the very least, you should assume that they will be checked).
    2. Make sure the references know you well enough to comment on your "suitability" (Check out Fachtna's Guidelines if you want to see what they're looking for in a reference).
    3. And make absolutely sure that the references given are aware that they will / may recieve a phone call from the Guards.

Advertisement