Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 100 bike options

• 04-05-2010 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Was hoping to do the Wicklow 200 100km course this year but the only problem is ... I don't have a geared road bike :D ... my racer is a singlespeed (46-18). Not knowing much about the course itself, would this be entirely mad of me?

The only other consideration is that i may be able to get a lend of a good cross bike by then so what would you recommend; trying to borrow the cross or using the singlespeed with a suitable gear (suggestions for this also welcome :))?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

There is no reason you couldn't do the 100km on a singlespeed, especially one with that gearing. The question is would you want to do it? The fact you are asking this publicly makes me think that you don't like the idea of it, so that really answers it for you.

A cross bike, if you can get some slick tyres for it, would probably be fine. Ideally I think you would want a geared road bike, which might only be a worthwhile investment for you if you plan to carry on and do more sportives.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Thanks Dirk, just worrying about my chances which is natural i suppose ... do intend on getting a road bike just not until next year when hopefully I can use my internship year in college to get one under the BTW scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Similar situation myself last year - 48/18 ratio on my single speed, first sportive.
    Did ok on the 100k, it's well doable for a total newb on ss, but....
    Caveat #1. Did do some training beforehand - checked out the worst climbs and made sure I could do the equivalent at least once.
    Caveat #2. This year I'm doing the 200 with gears. It's still just as tough to get to the top, but overall a bit easier and a lot quicker - grab the cross bike while you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Have you ridden anything close to 100km on the single speed? If you have, then you'll have little trouble with the W100 route as it avoids all the big climbs although the last stretch from Rathdrum to the finish is new and I'm not totally sure what that's like but it shouldn't be too bad. On balance though, if you have doubts and can get the cross bike (assuming it fits you) then you'll find it a lot easier on that. Good luck!

Advertisement