Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Classic Books

Options
  • 04-05-2010 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

For anyone who's interested.

In the basement in Hodgis Figgis on Dawson St in Dublin theres a wide selection of classic books for between 3 to 4 euro. Absolute bargain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Cheers for the heads up, tips like this are always welcome!

The Wordsworth Classics, of which you speak, are not actually worth it in my opinion. In terms of cost, they're usually only 3 or 4 euro cheaper than buying Oxford or Penguin online. In terms of content, they usually lack good notes (if that's your thing), a quality introduction and any of the other nice things, such as a chronology, that come in the Oxford editions. They also, mysteriously, never include the date of publication or an author bio, if I rightly recall.

If the classic is foreign then the translation is always archaic: they have to be more than 80 - 100 years old to avoid the royalties. And finally, the covers aren't as nice! :D

I suppose the main reason I don't buy them is because I have enough money to purchase the Oxford or Penguin editions, having little else to spend said money on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I like the Everyman's Library editions: http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/classics/about.html

Good quality hardbacks at a reasonable price. Has some contemporary authors as well as the classics. And there is instances where they publish the complete works of a particular author in a single volume, for example Flann O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i never buy those wordsworth classic editions either, it sounds stupid but they just look horrible! ha, but seriously, books are one of the only things i dont mind spending money on these days, so id rather just spend the extra couple of quid and get the better edition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

For anyone who's interested.

In the basement in Hodgis Figgis on Dawson St in Dublin theres a wide selection of classic books for between 3 to 4 euro. Absolute bargain.
    they do have some good deals on a lot of books , but i do tend to find chapters better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭funlovintapir

i think they mean the Oxford classics which are on sale now in hodges figgis for about a fiver or so. They look like this -
    http://www.scotiana.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Sartor-Resartus-Oxford-Worlds-Classics.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 goodsur

Speaking of Bargains I heard there is a Fireplace liquidation sale in Baldoyle somewhere. Does anyone know the date, time and Location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

indough wrote: »
    i never buy those wordsworth classic editions either, it sounds stupid but they just look horrible!

They don't look great, but the nadir of cheap classics editions (appearance-wise) has to be those green-covered Penguins. Awful to look at, and they even feel cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement