Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy 1st Birthday to our youngest pooch!

Options
  • 04-05-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Our youngest fur baby turned the big 1 today and celebrated with our girlies.
    As our other two are rescues we don't have exact dates for their birthdays so I figure from now on we'll just have one big party for the lot of them.

Of course he had to have a cake, if anyone else has time to waste and is a bit sad like us you can try it at home. Here's my recipe.

If using regular flour this recipe may not work you would need to go easy on the liquid until it's a elasticy but runny consistency a bit like the consistency of banana bread. This recipe turned out I thought a bit dry on top so will do two recipes in case you want a slightly bigger cake.

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

Ingredients.

3 large carrots - grated.
    225g rice flour
    1/4 to 1/2 pint of milk
    1 good tablespoon of molasses
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 Free range egg
    4 tablespoons of oats

Frosting.

Half a tub of plain cream cheese (like Philly)
    2 heaped tablespoons peanut butter
    Good squirt of honey
    2 peeled carrots - grate one carrot

Method for cake.

Sieve rice flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl.
    Add the egg and molasses, grated carrots and oats.
    Mix well and gradually add the milk slowly while mixing until it is well combined and slightly runny enough to pour but not overly watery.

Pour into a 2lb loaf tin. Bake at 180 for approx. 40-50 mins stick a skewer in if it comes out clean it's ready.

Leave to cool fully on a wire rack.

Method for Frosting.

Shape one carrot into a candle shape with a small knife.
    Create an indentation in the cake with the end of the carrot candle then cut a small notch in the cake so you can fit the carrot candle into it.

Put cream cheese, honey and peanut butter into a saucepan and warm gently over a low heat, keep stiring until well combined and spreadable.
    Spread over the cooled cake and sprinkle with grated carrot.

Store in the fridge until ready to serve, you can let it come up to room temperature, it should store in the fridge over night if covered in cling film.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Other method.

225g regular plain flour
    No milk unless you find the mix too dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Belated happy birthday to the youngest pooch. We've never baked a cake for any of ours but we do give them a special treat and/or a new toy on their birthdays. Our three are all rescues and we celebrate their birthdays on the dates we got them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Brook turns one in July, I might have to nick your cake recipe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Happy birthday! :)

This remings me of when I was like 8, it was my cat's birthday so I decided to give him a whole tin of food for breakfast, instead of his usual half a tin, and he got sick everywhere. :)

Advertisement