Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kodak printers.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

we have something similar at home, a hp one. tbh its alright... tried it out a few times for photos... bit of a let down... blacks are quite blotchy etc. for 100 bills i guess you get what ya pay for. thw wire basically means it gets its own ip addt. and ya cant print over wifi, no need to hook up printer directly. quite handy.

what was the purpose of the printer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Just ease of use...and I read thru the site fully, sounded like the ink was def cheaper then other companies too.
    6x4 is too small though..
    I also was told that Lalloo's up in Phibsbro' is doing prints for 15c, I might take a look tomorrow, not sure what sizes etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Just ease of use...and I read thru the site fully, sounded like the ink was def cheaper then other companies too.
    6x4 is to small though..
    I also was told that Lalloo's up in Phibsbro' is doing prints for 15c, I might take a look tomorrow, not sure what sizes etc

well the hp i have does a4, was round the 100 mark
    hp c4700
    got wireless too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJOKMNbIsSM

I decided to youtube the kodak and ya man says A4!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUt_F7UjT8E

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

AR you can get 6x4's in Harvey Norman's for 10c if you're doing 500 prints. It's 13c between 300 and 400.
    Most places will give you 50 5x7's for 12 quid and generally A4 are 2.50. I don't know how this weighs up with buying paper and ink for your own priniter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Hey, Kodak aren't a great brand and not the easiest to find inks for. Canon do little simple 6x4 printers that are totally retard proof. Getting prints from a good lab is always better though, and cheaper per picture too. Lab prints are proper chemical photographs and last forever. Those little printers are very convienient but quite a dear way to print your pics.... around 35c per pic.

Unless you really need the printer to be at home to print something urgent, then you'll get much better quality prints from a lab. Id save the €100 and get some nice lab prints instead. :)

humberklog wrote: »
    AR you can get 6x4's in Harvey Norman's for 10c if you're doing 500 prints. It's 13c between 300 and 400.
    Most places will give you 50 5x7's for 12 quid and generally A4 are 2.50. I don't know how this weighs up with buying paper and ink for your own priniter.

man i pay 10 euro per 10x8/a4 print...

where for 2.50... whats the quality like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

I print 10x8's at work, (Iwork in a lab) 5 for €10. Smart nice prints, proper chemical photographs. PM me if you want more details. Where on earth have you been paying €10 for a 10x8??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Quality's bang on. I use the guy in the fuji lab in Artane castle but I think it's the same price in all Unicare/ fuji lab places.
    The reason I use John in the castle is because he maintains his machines and gives a toss. I think a lot of places that give poor quality is down to bad maintainence and lack of knowledge because all the machines are more or less the same.

10 quid? Jayzuz even Gunn's is only 3.50.

humberklog wrote: »
    Quality's bang on. I use the guy in the fuji lab in Artane castle but I think it's the same price in all Unicare/ fuji lab places.
    The reason I use John in the castle is because he maintains his machines and gives a toss. I think a lot of places that give poor quality is down to bad maintainence and lack of knowledge because all the machines are more or less the same.

10 quid? Jayzuz even Gunn's is only 3.50.

been meaning to have a proper gander bout for quality printers... I find most labs a re pretty cack tbh, see i have access to great printers in college, just gets a bit conjested at time and when i need a print in a hurry...i can go to fire or repo( think its gone now) plus they mount too if your super lazy

• Advertisement

Thanks people, lots to mull over.

I'll probably just use shops to print what I need. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

When looking for a printer.. do some research into the ink.

A lot of the cheapies use ink that will fade in well under 10 years.. and you'll need to print a new copy.

GOOD inks on GOOD paper can give you much longer print lifespans (in excess of 100 years +)

Good chemical prints can be 30+ up to about 75-80+ depending on the paper used, and how well the lab maintains it's chemistry. (Most current minilab systems maintain the chemistry fairly well by themselves, nowadays.)

You don't want to give someone a print that they'll need another of in 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

my 10*8 's are only 3.52 + vat!!

10 euros for a 10*8 is mad

s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

There is a place up near me that charges €8 for an 8x6

• Registered Users Posts: 16 goretti

What is the quality of the prints, can you post some up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

You're not gonna get near the quality with a €100 all in one printer to that of a huge fuji printer harvey norman use...

If I were you I'd up the budget and buy just a printer, Therefore you're paying 150-200 for just a printer and not a scanner/lcd screen/wireless and just clear a bit of space on your desk and use a USB cable :)

you might be suprised

a lot of decent inkjet/photo paper combinations give a wider colour gamut than a fuji frontier etc

also decent inkjet combos give longer lasting prints that general use photo prints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

This is VERY VERY true. An Epson R800 7-ink Ultrachrome printer has a color gamut that annihilates a Fuji Frontier.. especially in the area of reds & greens.

That being said.. if you use custom color profiles for each piece of equipment.. you can get awesome prints out of both of them. (I used to have an R800 myself, and had a 7600 at work.. as well as a Frontier 370, a Pictrography, and an IlfoJet) The R800 actually had slightly better output than the 7600.. under certain circumstances.. but both of the Epsons will put out insanely awesome work.. and with the right papers they estimate print lifespans well in excess of 100 years. (some say 200+.. I'll believe that when I'm 250 years old & have prints that still look good.) ;)

Of the big minilab systems, I really prefer the frontier.. I find it's output looks the least digital. (although.. it's scanner is truly crap for scanning high-speed films if you don't seriously turn-down all the special filtering it does.)

If anyone is laying stuff out for a Fuji Frontier... 303dpi is the best resolution to use... anything else gets resampled when it hits the machine.) I used to have killer Frontier color profiles back when I worked in a lab with a Frontier.. but I don't have them anymore. :( (They might not apply nearly so well to a Frontier other than the one they were made for anyhow.)
    stcstc wrote: »
    you might be suprised

a lot of decent inkjet/photo paper combinations give a wider colour gamut than a fuji frontier etc

also decent inkjet combos give longer lasting prints that general use photo prints

the epsons ideal is 360 ppi

the other issues with thr frontiers etc, is it kinda depends how well its looked after

all of these things also it kinda depends on the person operating, to get the best out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DawnK

I've just discovered something very annoying about the ESP 7. If you run out of ink (colour or black) you cannot do scanning. "If you have a 5100, 5300, 5500, ESP 3, ESP 5, ESP 7, or ESP 9 all-in-one printer, you must first replace the ink cartridge(s)."

Also, if you run out of colour ink you can't print, even if you just want to print in greyscale. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement