Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit with ingrown dew claw

Options
  • 04-05-2010 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

Whilst clipping my pet rabbit's nails tonight I spotted that one of her dew claws has turned under and appears to be growning into the "toe". There's no swelling at the site and can't see any sign of infection. I gave it a little squeeze and she didn't react badly so I don't think it's causing a lot of pain.

Apart from ringing my vet tomorrow to get her booked in to see him, is there anything else I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Probably not. If it's not causing the rabbit any pain then there's nothing you can do.

I'd also advise not doing anything, just in case you actually do start the ingrowing nail to cause pain to your rabbit. Best to let the vet look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Well if you don't feel like you can cut it yourself then you could take her to the vet or maybe a dog groomer could do it, if it's not too badly grown into the foot.

This happened my dog before (she has really hairy feet and I didn't realise one of her claws wasn't touching the ground because of all the hair underneath it!) and I just cut it and pulled it out of her paw. Hers was hurting her though, it was grown right into her paw :( It was weird though because that was when she was 3 and her nails had never needed cutting before that because she's on concrete a lot, her paws just got really hairy!

Advertisement