Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sign language classes

Options
  • 04-05-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Does anyone know if anywhere offers free sign language classes??

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Would also be interested in this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Scouting

Me too, very much so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

wouldnt say so,most classes ya have to pay for.unless ya have a friend whos deaf and is fluent in sign,maybe they can teach ya.

why not get a book on basic sign(should be available in most good bookshops ie easons) and go from there,or call into nad (national association for deaf people),tis on 35 north frederick st,dublin 1.maybe theyll have more information.i highly doubt they do classes for free though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I doubt very much there would be any place giving free ISL classes in Dublin.

Im doing level 2 in the Deaf centre in Limerick at the moment which was €170 for 16 week course,which is excellent value in my opinion. Having ISL is a great skill to have,as there are thousands of people who use it as their first language in Ireland,though its not a recognised language by the state!!

Trinity have an ISL evening class, which is meant to be excellent but its around the €250 mark If I remember correctly. Your best bet is to to check here for all the latest classes http://www.irishdeaf.com/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 ms. Liza

thanks i also heard some libarys held classes but i cant find any info on them..does anyone kno anything bout them?

ms. Liza wrote: »
    thanks i also heard some libarys held classes but i cant find any info on them..does anyone kno anything bout them?

I know Cabra library have an ISL exchange every Wednesday evening. This isnt a class,but its a way for those learning sign language to practise with those who are more experienced.

panda100 wrote: »
    I doubt very much there would be any place giving free ISL classes in Dublin.

Im doing level 2 in the Deaf centre in Limerick at the moment which was €170 for 16 week course,which is excellent value in my opinion. Having ISL is a great skill to have,as there are thousands of people who use it as their first language in Ireland,though its not a recognised language by the state!!

Trinity have an ISL evening class, which is meant to be excellent but its around the €250 mark If I remember correctly. Your best bet is to to check here for all the latest classes http://www.irishdeaf.com/.

how are you doing in it,yer hands still kinda rusty? ya just learning the basic words now or have ya started learning to put words together to form sentences?

i use sign as a second language ,am fluent in it,learnt it as a teenager.

anplaya wrote: »
    how are you doing in it,yer hands still kinda rusty? ya just learning the basic words now or have ya started learning to put words together to form sentences?

i use sign as a second language ,am fluent in it,learnt it as a teenager.

I'm not really putting sentences together yet. Still learning basic words. Im still quite slow at spelling my name and If someone was signing to me they's have to go pretty slow for me to understand them. We have an exam in a few weeks that will be describing what we see in pictures,a bit like the oral exams for French or German.

Our teacher is deaf so she speaks to us only through ISL which is great for learning the language. Our teacher is trying to get us to be more expressive with our faces when we're signing which is something Im really bad at :) I was never really into languages but I really want to become fluent at ISL as I want to do social work and work full time with people with disabilities.

I'm not really putting sentences together yet. Still learning basic words. Im still quite slow at spelling my name and If someone was signing to me they's have to go pretty slow for me to understand them. We have an exam in a few weeks that will be describing what we see in pictures,a bit like the oral exams for French or German.

Our teacher is deaf so she speaks to us only through ISL which is great for learning the language. Our teacher is trying to get us to be more expressive with our faces when we're signing which is something Im really bad at :) I was never really into languages but I really want to become fluent at ISL as I want to do social work and work full time with people with disabilities.

you wont be around your teacher all the time,im guessing you prob go once a week for 2 hours yeah?ive heard of classes like them.try and buy a book also of basic sign,they have pictures in them which show ya which way to position your hands etc.best way for you to learn is get a mirror and practise ,try and practise for half an hour each day.i know youll probably feel weird but youll get an idea of the motions of your hands.basically learn the alphabet first then move on to words,thats what i would recommend.im deaf myself,but i use speech mainly.easiest way i found to learn sign was from other deaf people really.

the trick with being expessive with your face is you have to have fluid motion with your words and hands.just imaging you were talking as normal,(whether silently as most deaf people do,or with your voice,i do either,makes no difference) but also with your hands,itll come to you then.

tis hard enough to pick up but once ya learn youll never forget.

• Advertisement

anplaya wrote: »
    you wont be around your teacher all the time,im guessing you prob go once a week for 2 hours yeah?ive heard of classes like them.try and buy a book also of basic sign,they have pictures in them which show ya which way to position your hands etc.best way for you to learn is get a mirror and practise ,try and practise for half an hour each day.i know youll probably feel weird but youll get an idea of the motions of your hands.basically learn the alphabet first then move on to words,thats what i would recommend.im deaf myself,but i use speech mainly.easiest way i found to learn sign was from other deaf people really.

the trick with being expessive with your face is you have to have fluid motion with your words and hands.just imaging you were talking as normal,(whether silently as most deaf people do,or with your voice,i do either,makes no difference) but also with your hands,itll come to you then.

tis hard enough to pick up but once ya learn youll never forget.

I cant find ISL books anywhere!Where might I find one?

Thanks for the tips :)

I cant find ISL books anywhere!Where might I find one?

Thanks for the tips :)

i dont know where ya are,but im guessing dublin?already said try easons in a post above ,all good book shops should have a book on sign,i think they even do dvds now,which would make it even easier.sure call into the nad on frederick street,theyll prob have more information for ya .also try local librarys,im sure theyll have something.

i have a book called irish sign language,by a stanislaus j. foran,cost about 16 euro.basically its a book with shows the alphabet and signs of everyday words youll use,shows the hand positions you use for the sign.dont assume youll be able to become fluent straight away,even me deaf mates still take the piss as they know im not a signer from birth im an aquired signer so to put it,they can tell the difference straight away,even if ya have been signing for years .

Advertisement