Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newport 10k (Co. Tipperary)

Options
  • 04-05-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

The inaugural Newport 10k takes place in Newport, Co. Tipp on Sunday 23rd May at 2pm.

Registration on the day from 12-1.30pm at the Newport Community Centre

Course: The run is a loop past the Clare Glens on a 'rolling course' and back in to the Town via the Murroe road.

nyinteriors@live.ie

I know that this is an AAI certified race and Jones counter verified (so no confusion - unlike the weekend). Not 100% sure of the price but the figure of € 15 is flashing in my mind. The proceeds of the race go to the local community centre. There are sign posts by the roundabouts around town with further details and contact numbers.

It will be a great run through some lovely scenery with some 'nice' hills. Newport is only 20 mins from town (less than 10 mins from Finnegans roundabout) so hopefully there will be a good turnout and now that Munster won't be in the Heineken final, runners can run without fear of hangovers.

Spread the word and support this inaugural local 10k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

The inaugural Newport 10k takes place in Newport, Co. Tipp on Sunday 23rd May at 2pm.

Registration on the day from 12-1.30pm at the Newport Community Centre

Course: The run is a loop past the Clare Glens on a 'rolling course' and back in to the Town via the Murroe road.

nyinteriors@live.ie

I know that this is an AAI certified race and Jones counter verified (so no confusion - unlike the weekend). Not 100% sure of the price but the figure of € 15 is flashing in my mind. The proceeds of the race go to the local community centre. There are sign posts by the roundabouts around town with further details and contact numbers.

It will be a great run through some lovely scenery with some 'nice' hills. Newport is only 20 mins from town (less than 10 mins from Finnegans roundabout) so hopefully there will be a good turnout and now that Munster won't be in the Heineken final, runners can run without fear of hangovers.

Spread the word and support this inaugural local 10k.
    Heineken cup final final is a sat.........

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Yes but if Munster had been in the final the hangovers would have been on Sunday - raceday. Either way it doesn't matter now as unfortunately Munster won't be there.

Just a bit more info taken from another post on another thread;

"the Newport 10k is on 23rd May at 2pm. entry fee is €15.00 for runners and the walkers 6k family event is €10.00. It will be signposted for every kilometer with water stations at 4k and 7-8 k. There are a few hills and a few fast downhill sections with the first part of the race a bit harder than the second part which is relatively flat, tea and sambo's after with prizes for 1st 2nd 3rd male & females runners home. Runners will get an official time at the end of the race."

You can't beat the auld tea & sambos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JeromeBMurphy

See 'Newport 10K Run' page now up on facebook. This page will be updated on a regular basis.

Weather looking good for the weekend. Hope to see some of ye in Newport for the 10k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Done this yesterday...1hr 3 min...my first 10k...great day...the heat was some killer.. i recommened renaming it "the heat and hills" for next year if the weather is good :P

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭joeali101

Does anybody know where I could get the results to this

• Registered Users Posts: 12 elnino2010

See Newport 10K results attached..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

This is on again 22nd of May. I'm trying to find out about the course. I eard it might be changed from last year!!????!!??
    Anyone know anything about the course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Nice one....will be having a go at this i'd say.

Mungret 10k on the week before too so handy to have local races to get the season started

See & LIKE the 'Newport 10K Run' page on facebook. This page should be updated on a regular basis. On the INFO section are contact numbers for the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Newport 10k 2013 is on 21july at 2pm...also includes 6k run this year....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ah pity, local enough to me, but doing the killarney HM the day before. best of luck with it

Really looking forward to running this race again. It's the fourth year and the word on the street is that it will be its biggest entry yet. It's a lovely country run and if history repeats itself again this year, the weather will be beautiful :) the spread afterwards is worth the effort alone. I know that the website is going live in the next few days but they have a Facebook page. Just search Newport 10k Run on Facebook.

Please check out www.newport10krun.com for full details of this race. On the Newport 10k Facebook page they are running a competition to win a free race entry. If you're not in, you can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Hi Sideline Warrior,

Given the predicted temperatures next weekend, do you know if the organisers have considered moving the start time?

If the weather is anything remotely like it was this weekend, then I can see a lot of people giving it a miss.

An 11am or 7pm start would make a huge difference in my opinion.

Unfortunately the time is set in stone as all advertising is in place etc. and too late to change now. In any case it's also part of the Newport Gathering Festival and there are other events scheduled in the town that day. Whoever thought that the weather being too good would be a problem. We advise all runners to take plenty of fluids on board before, during and after the race, slow down your pace and run in the shade :-) it won't be a day for PBs, so just take it gently and enjoy.

See the raceday page on our website for information on tomorrow's run http://www.newport10krun.com/raceday.html Please note that there will be 3 water stations instead of 2. Weather forecast is for it to be a bit cooler than recent days and maybe even a drop of rain in the afternoon.

Results from Sunday's run are available here http://www.newport10krun.com/results.html along with some photos here http://www.newport10krun.com/gallery.html It was a great event but the very warm weather definitely impacted on the times. The men's race was won by Julio Cesar Castro of Kilmurry Ibrickane / North Clare AC with Tracey Johnson of Dooneen AC winning the ladies race.

• Advertisement
Advertisement