Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have the right to stay on my 3 day week?

Options
  • 04-05-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all..

I was placed on a 3 day week last year because the company is in trouble. We were informed recently that there's no end in sight to the 3 day week and that others in the company would be joining us on it.

I was called in for an individual meeting with the boss, and he put a form in front of me to sign. He explained that it meant everyone over 20k would pay a percentage of the part of their salary over 20k. The number on the salary was my old, 5 day a week salary. I figured it was a formality and was about to sign, even though it wouldn't affect me at the moment as my salary is so low on the three day week. Then the boss said "I have something else we need to discuss". I paused without signing, and looked up. He encouraged me to sign and then we'd talk. I signed. He then says he wants me back on a 5 day week. I'm upset for two reasons - I feel tricked into signing that form, and I enjoy my 3 day week (I'd asked for shorter working hours almost a year previous to being placed on them). Do I have the right to refuse the 5 day week? I'm on the 3 day for 6 months now. Also, do I have any comeback on the form I felt tricked into signing? He never even gave me a copy of it, so I've no idea what I agreed to. And yes, I know now that I was a fool to sign it without all the facts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Hi all..

I was placed on a 3 day week last year because the company is in trouble. We were informed recently that there's no end in sight to the 3 day week and that others in the company would be joining us on it.

I was called in for an individual meeting with the boss, and he put a form in front of me to sign. He explained that it meant everyone over 20k would pay a percentage of the part of their salary over 20k. The number on the salary was my old, 5 day a week salary. I figured it was a formality and was about to sign, even though it wouldn't affect me at the moment as my salary is so low on the three day week. Then the boss said "I have something else we need to discuss". I paused without signing, and looked up. He encouraged me to sign and then we'd talk. I signed. He then says he wants me back on a 5 day week. I'm upset for two reasons - I feel tricked into signing that form, and I enjoy my 3 day week (I'd asked for shorter working hours almost a year previous to being placed on them). Do I have the right to refuse the 5 day week? I'm on the 3 day for 6 months now. Also, do I have any comeback on the form I felt tricked into signing? He never even gave me a copy of it, so I've no idea what I agreed to. And yes, I know now that I was a fool to sign it without all the facts.

Wow, what a con man!

I'd refuse point blank, he deliberately withheld information from you which would influence your decision making ability until you had signed the form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Union Advisor

Unfortunatley once you sign any changes to your contract of employment, you have agreed to ammend the conditions of your contract. I would suggest that you request a copy of the document that you have signed and discuss the situation with someone who may have experience dealing with this type of incident. I am sure that there is trade union who may represent employees in your industry or you could contact NERA who might be able to assist you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

If you are claiming sw for the 2 days I believe that you can't just refuse the offer to go back full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Thats a nasty move by yer boss.:mad:

Advertisement