Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

work you'd love to buy

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

david lachapelle
    shepard fairey
    maybe a banksy for good measure

on the old street art buzz at the moment tho, will change soon no doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I really like this type of work. I follow one guy on Flickr who also produces such pictures.

I would really love to learn how to create such pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

i'd love some of this guys stuff; way more than i could justify at the moment, though.

http://www.michaellevin.ca/MichaelLevin.html

WOW His B&W conversions are amazing. Thanks for bringing this site to my attention. Beautiful photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

WOW His B&W conversions are amazing. Thanks for bringing this site to my attention. Beautiful photos.

AFAIK he shoots B&W film, so no conversions necessary :)

If people like his work, then go straight to the source, Michael Kenna.

www.michaelkenna.net

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If people like his work, then go straight to the source, Michael Kenna.
    cheers - hadn't heard of this chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

cheers - hadn't heard of this chap.

Michael Kenna is probably the first photographer well known for this minimalistic B&W normally square framed stuff. All the others are just imitators :-) Michael Levin actually makes no bones about choosing to shoot in the same way and much the same subjects as Michael Kenna. So much so that it has attracted a certain amount of controversy on occasion ...

http://davidbram.blogspot.com/2006/12/photographic-style-robberyor-is-it.html

-edit- ahha, I was also looking for this article aswell, by Michael Kenna, as it turns out it was linked in that article above.

http://greenteagallery.net/magazine/2010/04/25/kenna-on-plagiarism/

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Id like to own some stuff by Nobuyoshi Araki, he kind of opened up photography to me the way Dali did with art when i was a teenager. I think his stuff is very expensive though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

There are plenty of Irish stuff I wouldn't mind owning including the odd one here.... now there's a thought.

David Lachapelle, I wouldn't take for free tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would you hang it on your wall, though?

there's plenty of stuff i really like, but there's only a subset i'd hang on the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Aside from oogling stuff on internet sites, who around here would actually fork out money for stuff that they can afford and what have people bought/contemplated buying :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Covey wrote: »
    Aside from oogling stuff on internet sites, who around here would actually fork out money for stuff that they can afford and what have people bought/contemplated buying :P

I have good few photo on my walls non of which are my own, from 10€-150€. I'll be heading back to humberklog again I like his stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Chorcai wrote: »
    I have good few photo on my walls non of which are my own, from 10€-150€. I'll be heading back to humberklog again I like his stuff.

You've got the cow pic as well? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Les McLean, great guy and wonderful work: www.lesmcleanphotography.com

My favourite of his is "Seat at Hope Gap" it's in his Gallery.

Just noticed that there are some images in is Colour gallery that were taken when he was here for a street photography workshop on St.Patrick's Day a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

You've got the cow pic as well? :D

Yep I have the cow, everyone comments on it... ohh look at that !

Good to see Humberklog doing so well. Called in on him last week and he was in fine fettle and doing great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I would have bought the Gannets but Danny gave it to me anyway after the exhibition.

I have also bought a print by Ric J Steiniger who's an Australian landscape photographer. I would have bought something by Peter Lik but I couldn't afford it. Man he's expensive.

I have poster prints by Philippe Plisson (4 I think) and by Guillaume Plisson. I have one canvas by Philippe. They've a bunch more I would buy if I could afford but cannot. Guillaume Plisson has taken the one kite photograph that I didn't take myself that I would buy.

There are a couple of Robert Doisneau's that I wouldn't say no to either.

After that, most of what I'd hang on my wall, somewhat narcistically, is my own. I haven't had time to print anything lately which is a pity.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Good to see Humberklog doing so well. Called in on him last week and he was in fine fettle and doing great.

You were looking good too Covey, especially after the healing of Tara chant.

Really that kinda stuff desn't go on every day in the gallery....promise:pac:.

I like pics and don't really reflect much on the photographer and tend to have a quick enough turn over in the stuff I do hang. The right Bresson would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Monietooth

Hopefully moving into a new house in July or so, this will be my first purchase for art i think.

• Advertisement

i must say i prefer more painterly looking stuff when i'm looking at photos for hanging on walls; i once shared an exhibition space with this chap, and he promised to give me one of his prints, but i never caught up with him again. the print is no longer listed on the site, but it was an abstract one of a backlit jellyfish which had wonderful colours in it.

http://www.grahamgosling.com/default.htm

Advertisement