Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an album/Name an album.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

fair enough lord

i can recommend the drums debut album as thats along the lines of the the smith sound, these guys grew on me from when i bought their first ep last summer and i also liked their previous bands elkland and goat explosion!!!check them out

you could also check out the whitest boys alive album 'dreams' , its good , grew on me aswell

check Phoenix -wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

the presets are good,not crap :P and have been listening to them for a good while , might be something different to what your looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Just heard Spanish Sahara by Foals and took an instant like to their sound.
    Something so elegant and intricate about it.
    Is this what's termed Math Rock?
    I feel i've missed out on a whole musical genre here. :)
    What Foals albums/similar sounding music would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

And So I Watch You From Afar
    Maps & Atlases
    Fang Island
    Adebisi Shank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

I think Foals' first record is more math-rock really, they've gone a bit more subdued with TLF. Anyway here's some stuff to check out:

-Cursive
    -Owls
    -Life at These Speeds
    -We are Knives
    -Cast of Cheers
    -Circle Takes the Square
    -Les Savy Fav

plus what Fidelis posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

And The Redneck Manifesto!

Math rock is a genre based around weird time signatures, that's what makes it sound different.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

A V A wrote: »
    the presets - apocalypso

Please read the first post in the thread. This is not a post up whatever random crap i'm listening to thread. If you have any other questions don't post them in the thread PM Jeff or myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Just heard Spanish Sahara by Foals and took an instant like to their sound.
    Something so elegant and intricate about it.
    Is this what's termed Math Rock?
    I feel i've missed out on a whole musical genre here. :)
    What Foals albums/similar sounding music would you recommend?

check out their first album antidotes , thats worth a listen , i prefer it to the second album!! there are also a few ep's knocking around on the net , some songs like dearth are amazing and i always wondered why it didnt make the album!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

A V A wrote: »
    check out their first album antidotes , thats worth a listen , i prefer it to the second album!! there are also a few ep's knocking around on the net , some songs like dearth are amazing and i always wondered why it didnt make the album!!!

Thanks i'll check out Antidotes.
    And thanks to the posters above for the other suggestions.
    Should keep me going for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭2creator

Another great math rock band is the cast of cheers. They're debut chariot is awesome. It's free on bandcamp I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭I use the name izambard here also.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Latest Album I've listened to properly is The Boxer Rebellion.

Well worth a listen, really like their stuff myself

Great recommendation. Union is a fabulous album. It evokes Sigur Ros for me and I do love Sigur Ros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 feno13

Field Music - Field Music (Measure)

This awesome from start to finish and it's a double album, don't see many of those bad boys anymore. Also, given what you listed, try The Cure - The Head on the Door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I've been listening to drukqs by Aphex Twin a lot lately. I got into this about 3 years ago, thought it was pretty good, and didn't give it a whole lot of attention past 'some deadly tracks on there'. But after listening to it a lot more over the last two weeks, it's astoundingly good. The idea that one man can be responsible for all that music just boggles the mind. Some bands with 7 members can't approach these levels of perfection and sophistication. Mind-bendingly hardcore at times, and humblingly beautiful at others, and never a boring moment IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

When I think of one album that has great song after great song I think of U2's Achtung Baby......one of the great 'alternative' albums of all time IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

As the title suggests....

Been checking out bits and bobs, but don't know where to start album wise.

From the live clips I checked out, this type of music seems to lend itself very well to the live area, so if there are any good live albums or even a live dvd (hardly), I'd be well interested..

Seems there is a dvd from Japan, but it seems short enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I've always enjoyed their gigs more than the studio albums tbh, saying that, Horse Stories would get my vote if you want to check out a studio album. It's got more high-spirited moments than say.... Ocean Rain, and the songs work individually, so it serves as a good introduction.

Not sure about live albums, I don't have any, would be interested to hear suggestions too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Thanks smokedeels! I'll hunt a copy down....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Out of the loop a bit.

Can someone suggest something new based on my recent listening:

The national
    Arcade fire
    Animal collective
    Vampire weekend

quarryman wrote: »
    Out of the loop a bit.

Can someone suggest something new based on my recent listening:

The national
    Arcade fire
    Animal collective
    Vampire weekend

You could try some LCD - new album, Menomena, Sufjan Stevens and The Mountain Goats.

Have a look through the recently listening to thread. Some good stuff in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

lordgoat wrote: »
    You could try some LCD - new album, Menomena, Sufjan Stevens and The Mountain Goats.

Have a look through the recently listening to thread. Some good stuff in there.

Cool. i'll check out the thread.

LCD - have the album. Still haven't listened to it properly.
    Sufjan Stevens - can't stand the guy, his music is better suited to Broadway tbh.

I'll check out the other 2.

edit: woah, mountain coats have some discography. Where is the best place to start?

quarryman wrote: »
    Cool. i'll check out the thread.

LCD - have the album. Still haven't listened to it properly.
    Sufjan Stevens - can't stand the guy, his music is better suited to Broadway tbh.

I'll check out the other 2.

edit: woah, mountain coats have some discography. Where is the best place to start?

Give 'I walk' by Sufjan a spin and see if you like it.

For Mountain goats - i started with Sunset Tree and Get Lonely.

LCD album is a belter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

U should try Sleigh Bells, I just stumbled on them and im liken it !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

stereolab - refried ectoplasm, although i dont think its a proper album more like a compiliation of b sides and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 songswap

Of recent years, from the very few albums I have purchased, I am very happy to say that I have had the pleasure of Lykke Li's Youth Novels and The Fleet Foxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

'Lungs' by Florence and the Machine is amazing. I'm getting into it late but I'm listening to it now and I think it's the start of something beautiful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

Hi
    I'm looking for suggestions for a set list I'm djing soon. I've got New Order, Violent Femmes, Smiths, Cure, Siouxsie, Sisters, Bauhaus, Joy Division and more. I'm trying to remember what I listened to back in the 80s and have the feeling I may be missing some obvious bands and songs,
    Cheers
    Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

these five ablums floored me this year

5-Mumford and sons-Sigh no more*

4-Paul Weller-Wake up the nation

3-Biffy Clyro-Only revalations

2-Black keys-Brothers*

1-Band of Skulls-Baby darling dollface honey*

would recomend this list to anyone(Ones marked * in particular)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Hi
    I'm looking for suggestions for a set list I'm djing soon. I've got New Order, Violent Femmes, Smiths, Cure, Siouxsie, Sisters, Bauhaus, Joy Division and more. I'm trying to remember what I listened to back in the 80s and have the feeling I may be missing some obvious bands and songs,
    Cheers
    Terry
    Don't forget to include some Echo and the Bunnymen, The Stone Roses, Orange Juice, The Feelies, The Virgin Prunes, Siouxie and the Banshees, The Jesus and Mary Chain.
    RC88 wrote: »
    these five ablums floored me this year

5-Mumford and sons-Sigh no more*

4-Paul Weller-Wake up the nation

3-Biffy Clyro-Only revalations

2-Black keys-Brothers*

1-Band of Skulls-Baby darling dollface honey*

would recomend this list to anyone(Ones marked * in particular)
    Fair enough. Even though Only Revolutions and Sigh No More were released in 2009?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Fair enough. Even though Only Revolutions and Sigh No More were released in 2009?

Yeah, unless he means Lonely Revolutions and the Sigh No More reissue (the one with the live bonus disc). I don't think he does, but just sayin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

Don't forget to include some Echo and the Bunnymen, The Stone Roses, Orange Juice, The Feelies, The Virgin Prunes, Siouxie and the Banshees, The Jesus and Mary Chain.

fair enough mate,they both were released in late 09 but i only started listening to both albums in jan/feb 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

Cheers, got most of them covered.

Advertisement