Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an album/Name an album.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

This time last year I was looking at my CD collection and it was utterly rubbish and full of stuff I'd bought 5 years before. There was a thread here about the top albums of the decade and Arcade Fire - Funeral and Mumford & Sons were in so many lists I bought them both. I got the new Arcade Fire album a couple of weeks ago and its not sitting well with me just yet.

To this day I still listen to them most weeks.

Id love a recommendation for some equally epic albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I was well impressed by both Foals' Total Life Forever and Los Campesinos! Romance is Boring this year - they don't sound entirely like either of those albums, but they do have big-buildup-into epic sounds and the same kind of emotive themes, so if you're looking to use the albums you mentioned as a jumping off point, I'd say give those two a bash.

Foals' one had a really surprising amount of depth, but might take a bit of patience. Los Campesinos! have a bit of the same rough-round-the-edges, smashy uppy instrumenty charm you might be looking for. Both of these songs and albums would be in my respective top tens of the year.

If, however, you're looking for something that sounds more or less like Arcade Fire's older sound I'd say The Maccabees latest, which was heavily Arcade Fire influenced, IMHO.

For something leaning closer to Mumford, the closest thing I can think of is actually Villagers, for the folk and lyrical stuff, but that does lack the little twangly bit of banjo that you might be hankering for. Let me know if I'm anywhere in the ballpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Trotter wrote: »
    Mumford & Sons
    Based on that alone, get these:

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
    Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant EP

I also second everything that Jill mentioned.

Thanks a lot Jill & Colm! Those will keep me busy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Romance is Boring is magnificent, I'm glad they grew out of the childishness of the first album(still enjoy it tho).

• Advertisement

Still love their older stuff, yeah - it has the feel of a really bitchy teenage break up, tremendous amount of energy, and I enjoy it immensely - but all that back-and-forth bickering can wear me out a bit.

Romance is Boring is a much more thoughtful mess. A bit less catchy, so I don't know if those songs translate live as well as their previous material, but I want to listen to it as an album a lot more. They're guilty of some f*cking awful lyrics sometimes ("more post coital/ less post rock" FFS) but some of them - The Sea Is a Good Place... for example - are just achingly perfect. They can be very good at painting a scene that tells you all you need to know, without quite saying it outright.

They're guilty of some f*cking awful lyrics sometimes ("more post coital/ less post rock" FFS) but some of them -

I completely agree and the first verse just seems lazy.
    Who Fell Asleep In is great, plus it has Zac from Parenthetical Girls doing some very subtle harmonies.
    The E.p. was an interesting take on some of the songs too.

Los Campesinos/ Parenthetical Girls are one of my favourite incredibly-unlikely-interband-bromances.

I like Nick Thorburn(Islands/Unicorns) and Honus Honus(Man Man) in theory..but Nick's been letting me down lately.Maybe I should wait until I hear an actual song.
    Also on Los Camp: Their tour videos are good and I always like the double meaning of Romance is Boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 custardcream

Blonde Redhead 23
    The Books Lost and Safe
    The Cast of Cheers Chariot
    Play them one after another and you wont have to move for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

This time last year I was looking at my CD collection and it was utterly rubbish and full of stuff I'd bought 5 years before. There was a thread here about the top albums of the decade and Arcade Fire - Funeral and Mumford & Sons were in so many lists I bought them both. I got the new Arcade Fire album a couple of weeks ago and its not sitting well with me just yet.

To this day I still listen to them most weeks.

Id love a recommendation for some equally epic albums.

Reckon you'd love Fanfarlo, the album's called Reservoir. Here's a taste...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yia1NbXIxBI&feature=fvw

Reckon you'd love Fanfarlo, the album's called Reservoir. Here's a taste...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yia1NbXIxBI&feature=fvw

I'll check that out.. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

I'll check that out.. Thanks!

No worries!

Just looking at your comment about the new Arcade Fire album - I wasn't overly impressed at first either. But after sticking with it, I now think it's an absolute stunner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kenickie

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Couldn't argue that.

If you're going sixties:

Abbey Road (even OG is great in context, thanks GH).

Pet Sounds

Seventies:

PF - Animals
    Wire - Pink Flag/Chairs Missing

Eighties

Roky Erickson - TEO
    REM - Murmur

There's tons really, but those sprint to mind
    Excellent albums all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Not sure if they've been mentioned before but I've just discovered a band called The Antlers. Their album "The Hospice" is stunning, but heart breaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohgr51CqliY&feature=autoplay&list=MLGxdCwVVULXfQibVIYBlSdw_zoX8zo0MI&index=5&playnext=3

Youtube playlist here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

It's undoubtedly an age thing, but there's a lot of stuff being mentioned on here that I need to check out, but equally a lot of things that are, in my opinion, very average.

Here's a few "beginning to end" albums that I listen to:

60's :

Revolver - The Beatles
    Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys

70's
    Exile on Mainstreet - Rolling Stones
    Mothership -Led Zepplin (cheating this is a recent compilation)
    Never Mind the Bollocks - Sex Pistols
    Give 'Em Enough Rope - The Clash
    Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan

80's

The Best of New Order
    The Stone Roses

90's

What's The Story Morning Glory - Oasis
    Automatic for the People - REM

00's

struggling here except for

Wake Up The Nation - Paul Weller (2010)

Not all indie, some are "best ofs", but all genuine beginning to end stuff, for me any way.

90's

What's The Story Morning Glory - Oasis

00's

struggling here except for

Wake Up The Nation - Paul Weller (2010)

Really?of those 20 years that's the best 'beginning to end' albums there were?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

The Enemy-"We'll live and die in these towns, i think alot of people can relate to the lyrics in many of the songs on here especially in Ireland with all the crap that is happening :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Any recommendations?? I've tried Last Fm but I can't really seem to find much. Oh and don't say the Killers (how Hot Fuss sounds like them is beyond me confused.gif) or Springsteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭I use the name izambard here also.

Any recommendations?? I've tried Last Fm but I can't really seem to find much. Oh and don't say the Killers (how Hot Fuss sounds like them is beyond me confused.gif) or Springsteen.

Try Titus Andronicus if you haven't already. Their album 'The Monitor' is an epic concept album that just begs to be listened to continually from start to finish, well in my humble opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Try Titus Andronicus if you haven't already. Their album 'The Monitor' is an epic concept album that just begs to be listened to continually from start to finish, well in my humble opinion.

Yeah, I'd give that a +1, Monitor is a class album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Two Gallants maybe? Similar enough to The Gaslight Anthem's gentler stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Have you listened to The Hold Steady - their sound has a lot in common with The Gaslight Anthem, "Separation Sunday" or "Almost Killed Me" are their best albums IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

smokedeels wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd give that a +1, Monitor is a class album.

Oooh, I like these lads, cheers :D
    tailgunner wrote: »
    Two Gallants maybe? Similar enough to The Gaslight Anthem's gentler stuff.

Mmmm, I'll have to give them a better listen, not too taken with their first couple of sounds.
    kagni wrote: »
    Have you listened to The Hold Steady - their sound has a lot in common with The Gaslight Anthem, "Separation Sunday" or "Almost Killed Me" are their best albums IMO.

Yeah I've heard The Hold Steady before, quite like their stuff, bit lighter than Gaslight Anthem I find but decent enough all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Not all indie, some are "best ofs", but all genuine beginning to end stuff, for me any way.

This thread's about albums, compilations don't count ;)

+1 on KeanSeenan's point though, from the kind of music you seem to be into, there's LOADS of great stuff from all those decades you've left out. You like Give 'Em Enough Rope, what about London Calling, Sandinista! and Combat Rock? You like REM, what about Monster? You like Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde?? And Paul Weller is the only artist of the last ten years you think is worth a mention? :p

Oooh, I like these lads, cheers :D

No worries. You could also check out Against Me!. I would suggest starting with their album New Wave (their 'sell out' album) if you are looking for something along the lines of The Gaslight Anthem. A little taster,

and my personal 'Saturday Night' I'm about to get locked song (from their debut album, Against Me! Is Reinventing Axl Rose),

Again if you are aware, I hope this post might help others!
    Sorry about the videos, wasn't allowed to embed the origionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Alot of Gaslight fans seem to like Frank Turner, Lucero, Social Distortion, The Bouncing Souls, Fake Problems and Hot Water Music.

They don't necessarily all sound like TGA, but like I say, they seem to appeal to their fanbase.

Ifyou haven't heard of Lucero or Fake PRoblems I highly recommend them.

(And Frank Turner)

(And the Souls. And Social D)

(And Lucero.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Ifyou haven't heard of Lucero or Fake PRoblems I highly recommend them.

(And Frank Turner)

Definitely agree, you should check out Fake Problems and Frank Turner.
    Gaslight did a nice cover of Fake Problem's 'Songs for Teenagers' recently.

I haven't quite gotten into Lucero or Social D though (not yet anyway...)

Alot of Gaslight fans seem to like Frank Turner...
    Dinner wrote: »
    Definitely agree, you should check out Fake Problems and Frank Turner...

When I hear any Frank Turner all I can think of is this,

I don't know why but after any song of his, I start to hum the f'cking tune to the J.C.B. song!

Just checked out Lucero on youtube and will definitely investigate further. Any suggestions on an album to start with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Brian and his guitar tech have just started a new project called horrible crowes. nothings being released yet but if brians writing/singing i'm excited. And listen to frank turner.

Advertisement