Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgraceful Gerry Ryan Condolence Book

Options
  • 04-05-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

I visited RTÉ Cork today on Father Matthew Quay and was appalled at the Book of Condolences that they had put up for the late Gerry Ryan.

Firstly, there was a rude woman sitting behind the desk who kept shouting into the phone as if she liked the sound of her own voice — she didn't acknowledge us either.

More importantly, the actual book itself is nothing more than a hard-back copy with R.I.P. Gerry Ryan written in illegible-I-fancy-my-own-penmanship handwriting.

None of the messages are numbered so they will have no idea how many people signed it because everyone just decided to format their message in any way they deemed appropriate.

The hard-back copy itself isn't even a nice one. I am contemplating going down to Eason and purchasing a nice book and printing a picture of Mr. Ryan to display.

It was nothing short of a disgrace that was thrown together.

/end rant

Regards,
    Ed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, do the numbers really matter? I presume this book will end up in the hands of GR's family - surely the most important thing is that there are nice messages in it for them to read?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

well there's a man on radio 1 at 13:45 today who may listen to you...

simu wrote: »
    Well, do the numbers really matter? I presume this book will end up in the hands of GR's family - surely the most important thing is that there are nice messages in it for them to read?

+ 1

I'm sure the family won't be bothered about the formatting etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

If that's the height of your problems you're doing alright Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

If that's the height of your problems you're doing alright Ed.

+1 .. its the thought that counts .. who gives a sh1t about the mannerisms of the person on the desk or the type of book used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Loud noises!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

To be honest i'm surprised there was a book of condolences in Cork. I'm even more surprised people were actually in a queue to sign it. Do people have nothing better to do or is it some sort of mass hysteria?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Do people have nothing better to do

Hit the nail on the head there. the sort of people that listen to day time radio chat shows to be exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Bill-e wrote: »
    Loud noises!

L My F'n A O!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭bored and fussy

I am not too bothered about the book and how it looks, its the messages that will comfort the family.
    But can someone tell me who made joe duffy chief mourner, when i believe all he was, was someone he met at the water cooler . people like dave fanning, pat kenny, and ryan tubridy were more dignified and got on with their jobs, even ryan tubridy went like everyone else to the mansion house to sign the book there Joe duffy sickened me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I am not too bothered about the book and how it looks, its the messages that will comfort the family.
    But can someone tell me who made joe duffy chief mourner, when i believe all he was, was someone he met at the water cooler . people like dave fanning, pat kenny, and ryan tubridy were more dignified and got on with their jobs, even ryan tubridy went like everyone else to the mansion house to sign the book there Joe duffy sickened me.

I'm not a fan of either of them by any means, but from what I gather they've been close buddies since the 70s.

As for the state of the book, agreed, jeez, get a life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Vivara wrote: »
    I visited RTÉ Cork today on Father Matthew Quay and was appalled at the Book of Condolences that they had put up for the late Gerry Ryan.

Firstly, there was a rude woman sitting behind the desk who kept shouting into the phone as if she liked the sound of her own voice — she didn't acknowledge us either.

More importantly, the actual book itself is nothing more than a hard-back copy with R.I.P. Gerry Ryan written in illegible-I-fancy-my-own-penmanship handwriting.

None of the messages are numbered so they will have no idea how many people signed it because everyone just decided to format their message in any way they deemed appropriate.

The hard-back copy itself isn't even a nice one. I am contemplating going down to Eason and purchasing a nice book and printing a picture of Mr. Ryan to display.

It was nothing short of a disgrace that was thrown together.

/end rant

Regards,
    Ed.
    Isn't it enough that there was a book of condolences in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

So, will all bereaved families be comforted with books of condolence in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I am contemplating going down to Eason and purchasing a nice book and printing a picture of Mr. Ryan to display.

Good luck finding a picture where he doesn't look smug.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

What's the problem here, as if Mr Ryan cares a sausage. The country is in the toilet. Op needs to get a grasp on reality here.

The time for tut tutting such s**** has long passed.

The country is in the toilet. Op needs to get a grasp on reality here.

+1. Very sad for the Ryan family, but seriously there are far more disgraceful things going on at the moment in this country to get worked up about.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

I can guarantee you that I have a much better grasp on reality than any of you have here. Try taking a 100% drop in salary as a family and being entitled to nothing because the person who brought in the money is entitled to nothing because — self-employed. This isn't about that or even remotely related, so those of you think that because you have a high post count you can blast plain stupid opinions across, you're mistaken.

Far more disgraceful things? I am one of the few people in the country aware of what the banks really did, so don't get me started on that. And no, you don't have a clue what they really did. Very few people do... David McWilliams couldn't grasp what I was saying at a book signing in Dublin recently.

Obviously the Corkonians on Boards.ie are of the demograph that are not fans of Gerry Ryan, but given the tens of thousands (nearing 80,000 at this stage) of Facebook Condolence messages and more than a thousand signatures on the very book I'm talking about, you seem to be of the very few. (Not to mention that the book itself was not even publicized.)

And the most out of touch person in this thread is the one who says that the time for 'tutting' and pointing these things out is long gone. A report last night on RTÉ News mentioned how all the Greeks 'don't want to be like the Irish' who just sit back and do nothing. For years everyone just let staff behind the counter be rude, etc., etc. (I'm waffling here, but oh well) and didn't expect high standards, yet we paid through the roof.

While I may have exaggerated my reaction for the post, I do not see how RTÉ could not have gone down to Eason and bought a Book of Condolence for less than €10.

I actually can't believe how pathetic everyone is here... where is the place to voice your opinion without causing a flame?!

Ed.

To add to my post above:

Gerry Ryan was one of the few people who told the country to have hope (in fact his last five radio shows were all based around this topic). He was always talking about how people talked about 'the country down the toilet' and those who do nothing about it.

It's surprising to find that the people who go on about how bad the state of the country is, those who tell others to get in touch with reality, those who say 'I'm only surviving', those like the cranky posters in this thread... they're actually the very people who need to get in touch. Oh, the irony.

Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Far more disgraceful things? I am one of the few people in the country aware of what the banks really did, so don't get me started on that. And no, you don't have a clue what they really did. Very few people do... David McWilliams couldn't grasp what I was saying at a book signing in Dublin recently.

Do enlighten us in a way that only someone who got an A in Mock Junior Cert Business Studies can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

I can guarantee you that I have a much better grasp on reality than any of you have here.

In that sentence you've managed to prove that you haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

but given the tens of thousands (nearing 80,000 at this stage) of Facebook Condolence messages and more than a thousand signatures on the very book I'm talking about,

Also, how do you know how many signatures were in the book? Was that not one of your points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 scarpetta65

I can guarantee you that I have a much better grasp on reality than any of you have here.

Yes, please enlighten us plebs - I really would like to know even though I have lost my job and my pension is now worth zero.

Stark wrote: »
    Do enlighten us in a way that only someone who got an A in Mock Junior Cert Business Studies can.

One word. Ageism. My father happens to be an ex-banker.

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    In that sentence you've managed to prove that you haven't.

Two words. Vague. Hilarious.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Is this the same Ryan who refused to have some of his massive publicly paid salary docked in order to help put things on an even keel ?

Yes, please enlighten us plebs - I really would like to know even though I have lost my job and my pension is now worth zero.

Enlighten? You know much less than I would have assumed. Enlightening you would mean referring to hundreds of E.U. directives, explaining how a simple Credit Default Swap Product brought down the world and how BOI, AIB and others completely abused statistics and annual reports. Would you believe me if I told you that all our top three banks' profits were entirely ficticous — for the last eight years?

Open your minds.

Ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 scarpetta65

parsi wrote: »
    Is this the same Ryan who refused to have some of his massive publicly paid salary docked in order to help put things on an even keel ?

And the same one whose salary you paid if you bought a TV licence, even though you may not ever have chosen to listen to him

Oh, the irony.

And I must point out that arguing against a whole thread of people is going to fail miserably — no matter how right I am.

Especially when people are searching my previous posts and using the info in an unrelated thread.

Feel free to nit-pick on the minute details I have mentioned. I actually find it quite funny. :P

Ed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

How are the banks to blame because they are ageist?

No wonder David McWilliams was confused, I haven't a clue how that could be the downfall of our financial system.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Advertisement