Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgraceful Gerry Ryan Condolence Book

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 scarpetta65

How are the banks to blame because they are ageist?

No wonder David McWilliams was confused, I haven't a clue how that could be the downfall of our financial system.

If you're good you might learn something here. Now, pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

How are the banks to blame because they are ageist?

No wonder David McWilliams was confused, I haven't a clue how that could be the downfall of our financial system.

I actually did laugh out loud there. Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 goodgirl7279

whats this got to do with gerry ryan "disgraceful condolence book" in cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Well look to be honest, its easy to say "do people not have anything better to do" but did you ever hear of the saying "If it's worth doing, do it properly" I agree with the OP.

I've not been to sign the book as, ironically, I feel that I personally do have better things to do. However, for some its more of a priority and thats fine.

But I would expect that if RTE were going to go to the trouble of having a book of condolences and extending their hours of operation (I'm sure this must have happened, correct me if I'm wrong)to allow people to come in and sign it then, yeah, I would expect them to make an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭azul

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    In that sentence you've managed to prove that you haven't.
    Brilliant!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ed is right: opinions that are different to his are "plain stupid". Also, those who disagree with him (just him, mind) are pathetic and out of touch. And even though he despairs at how people have the nerve to have a differing opinion to him, and are thus "flaming" him, it's ok for him to be abusive...
    Vivara wrote: »
    those of you think that because you have a high post count you can blast plain stupid opinions across, you're mistaken.
    How are they "mistaken"? Are you going to punish them by patronising them to death maybe? Post count thing is all in your fertile imagination by the way...
    Gerry Ryan was one of the few people who told the country to have hope (in fact his last five radio shows were all based around this topic).
    Yes, for the good of the ordinary man and woman - not something that was decided in a production meeting.
    peanuthead wrote: »
    Well look to be honest, its easy to say "do people not have anything better to do" but did you ever hear of the saying "If it's worth doing, do it properly" I agree with the OP.
    And that's your valid opinion, but most people here feel the book of condolences in and of itself is a huge gesture and that the look of the book isn't even worth noting, not to mind considering "disgraceful". That isn't disrespecting the man himself or indicative of how Cork people wouldn't be fans - plenty of Cork people were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

And I must point out that arguing against a whole thread of people is going to fail miserably — no matter how right I am.

Especially when people are searching my previous posts and using the info in an unrelated thread.

Feel free to nit-pick on the minute details I have mentioned. I actually find it quite funny. :P

Ed.

maybe stick to the topic in hand i.e. Gerry Ryans book of condolences.. you think the book was disrespectful and clearly a lot of others dont give a damn. the pointless rants about Banks and alluding to what most people already know is for another thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mynamesjay

I don't understand why so many people clicked on this post and decided to abuse the OP if they had no interest in the thread , the title was pretty clear in describing what the post was about.
    They've needless abused the poster on unrelated topics and should really look at why they behave this way and if it actually improves there life to behave in such a way.

My opinion on the topic in question, they'd be better not having a book of condolences at all if they are not going to do it properly and it should be of a reasonable quality. As regards the rude worker, I don't think the organization could have planned for this.

mynamesjay wrote: »
    I don't understand why so many people clicked on this post and decided to abuse the OP if they had no interest in the thread
    Disagreeing is not abusing, and nobody said they had no interest in the thread.
    the title was pretty clear in describing what the post was about.
    On a discussion forum people should only post to a thread if they agree with the opening post?
    They've needless abused the poster on unrelated topics and should really look at why they behave this way and if it actually improves there life to behave in such a way.
    The OP is the one who brought up the unrelated topics. And the OP is the one who is being abusive - any reason why you're not acknowledging that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Just to put things into perspective, here's a recent post in a different forum from Ed:
    Hi Guys,

I'm preparing for a 1500m race. Only a bit of a laugh, not really competitive to be honest.

One thing I'm wondering is what time a fifteen year old of better than average fitness would do a 1500m race in? I'm not looking for world record times — I just want to be able to mimic a race on a treadmill!

If possible, I know it would be difficult and I know every race is different, could someone do something like the following? (All speeds and times are totally made up.)

1st Minute: 5km/hr
    2nd Minute: 6km/hr
    3rd Minute: 4.5km/hr
    4th Minute: 3km/hr
    5th Minute: 5km/hr
    Last Thirty Seconds: 8km/hr
    Etc.
    Etc.

If it's easier to do it in distances, e.g. 1st 200m: 5km/hr, then please do.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Ed.

You're all arguing with a teenager. Lol. I think you can all sleep soundly tonight safe in the knowledge you do know more about the banking crisis than he does!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Faith wrote: »
    Just to put things into perspective, here's a recent post in a different forum from Ed:

You're all arguing with a teenager. Lol. I think you can all sleep soundly tonight safe in the knowledge you do know more about the banking crisis than he does!

I'm trying to be careful here as you are a moderator.

If you had even bothered to read the thread, you would have figured out that we already established I was doing my Junior Cert.

Firstly, you are being ageist. In fact, very ageist. Given that I was an administrator of one of the largest web design and web development forums on the internet (WebForumz.com — since gone to ruin since it was bought by a parent company), I find it shocking that you are doing so when in a position of authority. I struck off many moderators for this reason. As well as this, I saw first hand the talent and intelligence young people have, designing websites better than those who charge €3000, etc.

I'm sick of boasting (honestly, I really really do hate it) — actually, forget it... I won't even bring my I.Q. into this.

I most certainly know more about the banking crisis than many of you (I would say all of you, but that sounds presumptuous). Again, if you read the thread, you would have found out that my Dad is an ex-banker.

Is it so hard for you to comprehend that a fifteen-year-old may both know more about the banking crisis, be more intelligent and be more in touch with reality? Really? I can understand how.

As numerous people have mentioned, all I was trying to say was that if you're going to do something, do it right. Sure, I went overboard — but the woman was rude, the book wasn't even of high quality and there was no photograph. These are COMMON things found when signing a book of condolence. And given that my cousin drowned saving two swimmers, all my grandparents have passed from cancer (like so many others), I know first hand that it would mean so much if these extra and EASY TO DO touches were put in place.

I don't understand how other people don't see this. Sure of course I'm being branded as a 'hormonal teenager who is always right'. Typical.

Regards,
    Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

snip

I really don't see where you are going with this. And you are only bringing the whole hormonal teenager thing upon yourself and the constant mentioning that you must be in the know because your dad is an ex-banker(the people that caused all this in the first place....) isnt helping your case.

I don't see this thread lasting much longer to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

have you ever heard of 'girls' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

bytey wrote: »
    have you ever heard of 'girls' ?

Eewwwwwwww!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

This thread seems to have gone a little mad.
    I have been reading it from starting off as someone complaining about a condolence book until it decended into what it is now :)

Personally I think everyone was a little harsh on Viv from the beginning, he was simply giving his opinion on something, yet everyone was telling him "care about more important things".
    I wonder if it was about something other than Jerry Ryan, which in some peoples opinion is as insignifficant, would people be so quick to say the same.
    I'm not sure why a mod should be "putting things in context" by pointing out the ops age either...

That's not to say that the ops replies aren't a bit much and read as pompous, no doubt if he looks back on this thread in say 10 years he'll laugh(or cringe :P) for much different reasons, probably at his own posts :)

I don't think there's any one of us non teens that would look back on our view of life and opinions as a teenager and not think "what were we at" :o

babo9 wrote: »
    Personally I think everyone was a little harsh on Viv from the beginning, he was simply giving his opinion on something, yet everyone was telling him "care about more important things".
    They were simply giving their opinions too though. :)
    I wonder if it was about something other than Jerry Ryan, which in some peoples opinion is as insignifficant, would people be so quick to say the same.
    I'd imagine so - people genuinely felt the appearance of a book of condolences was not something to get enraged about, it wasn't simply a case of them deciding to gang up on the OP.

What's the obsession with mods about btw? Faith doesn't moderate this forum.

Sorry Ed if you feel looked down on. I think it's more a case of people thinking you were a lot older - your posts are very well written and don't seem typical of a 15-year-old (that's meant in a good way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Stark wrote: »
    Good luck finding a picture where he doesn't look smug.
    I think the smug look he put on was all show. A very smart man who I liked by the way. But I think the marriage split more or less killed him.:(I could be very wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

I really don't see where you are going with this. And you are only bringing the whole hormonal teenager thing upon yourself and the constant mentioning that you must be in the know because your dad is an ex-banker(the people that caused all this in the first place....) isnt helping your case.

I don't see this thread lasting much longer to be honest!

+1 .. thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Dudess wrote: »
    They were simply giving their opinions too though. :)
    Some were giving their opinion on the subject, i.e. the book; albeit a little abruptly but what can you do, but some also felt the need to condem the op for having such an opinion, for example "get a life". Perhaps not everyone would get enraged about the book, but that's not to say someone who does is out of touch with reality or has nothing better to do! I get enraged at drivers all the time, as do millions of people, but of course there are more important things to worry about :P

Seeing as I'm posting I might as well contribute my opionion of the original topic.
    I actually agree with the OP, you would think RTE would put a little more effort into it, yes the messages are what is supposed to condole the family, but seeing that the place&people who worked with him cared enough to put in decent effort is also comforting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Ah, this thread surpassed my expectations.

On a related note, did any one else feel pity for/pour scorn on all those people on the news who never knew Gerry Ryan but drove across the country to stand at the side of the road near the church where he had his funeral? They srsly need to find more meaningful things to give meaning to their lived imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Perhaps its our Princess Diana moment. Pensioners lining the streets with teenagers - A Nation Mourns etc etc. I couldn't listen to the man.

Do like Dave Fanning though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

Stark wrote: »
    Good luck finding a picture where he doesn't look smug.
    well done he had a permanent SMIRK on his face . his programme was **** i only heard i once but watching him when he tried to do television he was crap..( MUCH LOVED MY ARSE )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I most certainly know more about the banking crisis than many of you (I would say all of you, but that sounds presumptuous). Again, if you read the thread, you would have found out that my Dad is an ex-banker.
    Hi Ed,

I'm not trying to pick on you, but i had to highlight this. Just because your dad is an ex banker doesn't mean you or he is an expert in banking matters. My dad is an ex building contractor, that doesn't make me an expert in all things building.

My father-in-law is an ex-banker and i'm shocked at how little he understands about the mess we are in, he actually doesn't understand much about the banking system. I'm not saying your dad falls into this category but i also doubt my FIL is alone in his.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

This post is very very odd..

Firstly I agree with OPs origional post - The thing about the book was typically Irish - Slap dash and half a*sed.. And why not!!.. All the posts on here prove that we as a people dont care if things are done properly or not!

So if you have a public sector job such as putting a book of condolence out, sweeping the street, dealing with xrays for a hospital or acting as a financial regulator.. Its apparently acceptable to do it in an amateur and unprofessional manner...

Another other thing that got us in problems was arrogance.. plently of that here too..

As for G Ryan -I dont know if I liked him or not - Sometimes I listened and often I didnt agree with him but at least he had an opinion (albeit a bit arrogant).. Most of the others are just conformists and lapdogs of the RTE bosses or some other vested interest..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The condolence books people signed at RTE were spiral notebooks and those at the Mansion House were those visitors books with space just for name and address and people squished in messages. I don't think the family will be perturbed about the quality of the books. Having someone yelling into a phone where people are signing books of condolence for anyone is obviously plain bad manners by most people's standards and someone should have pointed it out at the time.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I would be wondering why the Council has to pay for this book of condolences. Couldn't RTE host it in their premises seeing as he was one of their own ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

OP, you got a bit of stick because your reaction to a very minor issue was completely out of proportion.

In fact, the issue was made seem all the more trivial in the stark contrast of the man's death.

Plus, you came across very Victor Meldrew-ish :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

oicherider wrote: »

Slap dash and half a*sed.. And why not!!.. All the posts on here prove that we as a people dont care if things are done properly or not!

There's a huge difference between caring about things done properly for say a man like Gerry Ryan who was massively over-payed and in the end didn't really touch anybodies lives nor make much of an important impact on the country. Contrast that to say the death of lady Diana or even Jack Lynch. If something had just been thrown together for Jack Lynch then yeah people would have a right to be pissed off as the guy was in the sense of a word..an icon. Gerry Ryan was just another over-payed beneficiry of the celtic tiger.
    parsi wrote: »
    I would be wondering why the Council has to pay for this book of condolences. Couldn't RTE host it in their premises seeing as he was one of their own ?
    Exactly!!! I don't see why this guy should get a book of condolences over any other Joe Soap that died. Fair enough the book probably didnt cost much but that's not the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Well I think the OP is right, this whole thing is a bloody disgrace! He should call up RTE radio tomorrow and ask to speak to Ger... Oh wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭omerin

never listened to G Ryan, probably due to the fact that i didn't fall into his listening demographic, i.e. i'm not a woman and i don't have a problem.

still pretty sad that that a relatively young man died and has left a family behind, and especially when his life could have been prolonged, but i wont go there

Advertisement