Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

viewing logs discussion

Options
2»

Comments

thanks for the heads up on monster squad darko, watched it with the kids last night, they loved it. My daughter was jumping up and down with excitment by the end.

It's a great little film and one which is immensely re-watchable, Return to Oz is another 80s kids film which your kids may enjoy if they havent all ready seen it. Like Monster Squad it's rather adult but at the same time retains that essence of childhood fun.
    trustno1 wrote: »
    +1 - the recomendations are fantastic, I have today bought The House of the Devil and Monster Squad based the postive reviews, and its excellent for 'avoiding the stinkers', nothing worse than going by the picture on the box :D

House of the Devil is truly superb, I really cannot think of another horror film in recent time which has come to portraying such a constant sense of dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

IM off to UCI tonight to see the collector. I do like the Saw films but feel they are getting long in the tooth now so heres hoping for a fresher take on the concept. Ill add it to my viewing log tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

C-13 is Cube Zero worth a look?, loved Cube, Cube Hypercube.. meh.. nothing to write home about!..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Not as good as the first one but much better than hyper cube - I liked it because it gives a background to what goes on behind the scenes in the cube
    one of the main chars is an employee who watches the people in the cube and videos them for the unseen group behind the cube

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Tried watching august underground for the 3rd time last night, just dont get it and switched it off after 40mins. Not the gore, or the filth or the random ruthlessness of the main character; It's the infantile cackling of the shaky-cam guy that gets on my nerves and annoys the feck out of me.

The annoyance for me is on a par with the awful inane chattering of five across the eyes, which I had to fast forward through. Not putting august on my review thread as I've now officially given up on trying to watch it, and I really did want to like it.

The only way it would work for me is if the soundtrack was switched to heavy metal and beavis and butthead were doing the commentary.
    'hehe, I pushed her **** back in'
    "I am Cornholio!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Lol,its definitly a marmite movie alright.Part of why I love it is because of the graininess of it which is where the 3rd installment,Penance,fell down.I first saw it 4 or 5 years ago having heard rumblings from a couple of places about it.It opened my mind to a new level of on screen depravity.Its far from perfect but I love it so will always score it highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Glad you enjoyed Supernatural MudSkipper and don't worry, the other four seasons are just as enjoyable thought I would argue that the first season has the best continuous arc of the lot.

cant wait to see how season 6 goes now that main story arc is finsihed. Should be back on real soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

24th September! Can't wait! Especially when one of the episodes is called Live Free or Twihard!

Have you seen Genesis Mudskipper?Its the companion piece to Aftermath.Its completly different in tone and content to Aftermath but I kinda prefer it.Its visually very appealing.

• Advertisement

Dont think I've seen it, but the plot sounds familiar, reminds me of a story I read long time ago about two brother sculptors, one of em dies and the others art starts coming to life. No idea who by as it's years ago.

Genesis is now on my to track down list :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

Monster Squad, now that brings me back....
    saw this on the main page so just adding my two cents worth,

the haunting of emily rose, not so much scary but spooky.

AT king35s mega Phriana I have to say I have watched the trailer about 10 times and it makes me laugh every time. WIth that and its sister movie Mega shark V the Giant octopuss I think that movie company may have found a nich for so bad they are good movies. Would love to watch both movies just for the cagey dialogue..... " It wasent Terrorists! IT WAS MEGA PIRAHANA " How can you not watch a film with lines like that in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

AT king35s mega Phriana I have to say I have watched the trailer about 10 times and it makes me laugh every time. WIth that and its sister movie Mega shark V the Giant octopuss I think that movie company may have found a nich for so bad they are good movies. Would love to watch both movies just for the cagey dialogue..... " It wasent Terrorists! IT WAS MEGA PIRAHANA " How can you not watch a film with lines like that in it.

Yeah they are great fun. It's almost as if they sit down and try and think up the most ridiculous scenes and dialogue possible but it works. Obviously they are bad films but definitely entertaining ones and well worth a watch after a beer or two.

Look out for the sequel to Mega Shark V Giant Octopus which is out next year. It's called Mega Python vs. Gatoroid. I have no idea what a Gatoroid is :)

A (alli)Gator on Steroids?

@mud skipper and supernatural season 3.
    All i can say is you are in for 2 more great seasons after that one. One of my fav shows on TV.
    Season 6 seems to have lost its way a bit, but im hoping thigs pick up for the winchester brothers.

Look forward to them :) For a change of pace, I've just started season 3 of burn notice..... not horror, but has Bruce Campbell hamming it up :D

"you know spies, bunch of bitchy little girls" :pac:

I liked camble in any thing he has ever done, except for that weird elvis film he did.

Thanks for the review of The Loved Ones Kingpin,sounds like my kind of movie.Is it available to buy or will I have to borrow it from my cousin? ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It's available to buy alright, amazon or ebay is the place to look.

hopefully you enjoy it as much as I do. There is plenty of gore but it's also a weird kind of coming of age film that's very stylish and has a strong plot. I thought it was excellent.

• Advertisement

Men Behind The Sun is a great lil film.The sequels aint the Mae West though.Best one is part 4 - Black Sun : The Nanking Massacre.There are some pretty shocking scenes in it plus it has a certain documentary feel to it given it has real footage interspersed with the shot scenes,worth checking out.

@ Kingpin.The one criticism I have with Going to Pieces is that its a total love in,ie none of the movies get properly analysed.

Have you seen "His name is Jason"?

Its a doc about the Friday the 13th franchise.

Hosted by Tom Savini,alot of intersting nerd information in it.

Yeah it is a bit of a love in and it's not criticial towards any of the films, even the ones that are terrible!

No haven't seen it but I'll try get my hands on it. Cheers

@Darko

That movie 'Down' sounds so much like an 80's Dutch movie called 'The Lift' and after checking imdb, turns out it is a US remake by same director... check out the original if you can.... nice beheading scene in that one :eek:

MudSkipper wrote: »
    @Darko

That movie 'Down' sounds so much like an 80's Dutch movie called 'The Lift' and after checking imdb, turns out it is a US remake by same director... check out the original if you can.... nice beheading scene in that one :eek:

Saw the Lift years back, was only when I saw Dick Mass's credit that I realised it was a remake. Been so long since I saw the original that all I remember from it is the beheading and as cool as the original was the genre cast in the remake makes its really special.

Advertisement