Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to start a practical/research based phd

Options
  • 04-05-2010 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    just wondering when the cut off dates for applications for research based PhD's are?
    or are they ongoing?
    thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

hi all,
    just wondering when the cut off dates for applications for research based PhD's are?
    or are they ongoing?
    thanks

arent all phd's research based.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

blucey wrote: »
    arent all phd's research based.....?

Yeh they are but some like an MD or D.Clin.Psych. are taught with a research project attached.
    And op, most PhDs are ongoing with entry either in October or March (TCD anyway) but research funding is a whole different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

thanks, but the funding isnt an issue as my employer will pay for up to 2/3rds of the cost.

thanks, but the funding isnt an issue as my employer will pay for up to 2/3rds of the cost.

Nice!:cool:
    Ah once you sort out a project with a supervisor you'll be alright, if you've funding then you're sorted.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

that seems to be the stumbling block at the min... the ideal candidate, having studied a couple of peoples backgrounds, for supvr hasn't got back to me and i cant get in touch through the phone... i'm more so wondering if there are scheduled cut off dates for applications, in a sense like a semester? or can PhD research be undertaken at any stage during an academic calendar
    thanks

• Advertisement

Where do you want to do it? You could apply to any place now and start the course in September/October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

It depends on whether you're applying for a taught programme or not, best to look up the website of the department/uni you want to study at and check there, or email the department for info if the potential supervisor isn't replying, they could be out of the country or whatever.

Advertisement