Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Advisor Work

Options
  • 04-05-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I used up my WHV in Oz around 6 years ago but would like the opportunity to return there next year. I was think about applying as a skilled professional as I'm a qualified tax advisor.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience of working as a tax advisor on Oz and if so, would be grateful if ye could answer the following:

1. Can you start work as a qualified tax advisor in Oz using your AITI qualification or are there additional exams that you need to sit?
    2. Is it easy to get work with just the AITI qualification?
    3. Is it easy to get work as a tax advisor at all?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭buswankers

Hey OP

I worked in tax during the time i spent in Oz back in 2007. I found that tax jobs over there were few & far between. I'm ACA & AITI qualified....

Got a job with one of the big 4 in Sydney but they were reluctant to put me in an advisory role due to the tax law over there being different to that over here. I worked in a department called the Australian Tax Centre - kind of like a tax library. People within the firm would come to that department if they needed a second opinion on how to interpret some legislation etc before giving advice to the client. found it pretty snooze 2 say the least - involved a LOT of sifting through reams of legislation etc & liaising with the tax officials in Oz on how to improve new drafts of legislation being considered (the australians bring out new tax legislation every few weeks! :confused:) . Only stuck it out for 5 months before moving on as ya do. Next place i lived was Melbourne & couldnt get a tax job there at all!! Although in saying all that, i wasnt looking for staying any longer than a few months in each place - if you were willing to stay longer term there were definitely more options out there.

Even though there are a fair amount of differences in both systems, i would still think it'd be easy enough to adapt to it - in that a training in tax is a training in tax meaning u'd pick up the differences in the tax systems easily enough. but i would think it would make life easier if you actually sat their exams?? not sure how long they take or anything tho...so not sure ud want to go down that route....

I found that there were far more audit/accountancy jobs going than those in tax - but again like i said, if your staying longer term it shouldnt b a problem.

Sorry this ended up being a bit long winded - not sure if any of it helps - just said id pass on my experience!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

Cheers for the reply buswankers, not long winded at all. I was thinkin myself that tax jobs wouldn't be that plentiful. I'm doin the ACCA exams at the moment as well so that might be a better route to go down. Dunno how willing they'd be to recruit a part qualified ACCAer over there tho!!

Thanks again for the advice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Hi Folks,

I used up my WHV in Oz around 6 years ago but would like the opportunity to return there next year. I was think about applying as a skilled professional as I'm a qualified tax advisor.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience of working as a tax advisor on Oz and if so, would be grateful if ye could answer the following:

1. Can you start work as a qualified tax advisor in Oz using your AITI qualification or are there additional exams that you need to sit?
    2. Is it easy to get work with just the AITI qualification?
    3. Is it easy to get work as a tax advisor at all?

Cheers in advance!

Is a Tax advisor a qualified Accountant?

If applying as a Skilled Professional have you had a look at the SOL yet? I couldn't see any occupation as Tax advisor just Accountant related occupation which I guess advises on Taxation

Accountant 2211-11
    Accountant – Corporate Treasurer 2213-11
    Accountant – Internal Auditor 2212-13
    Accountant – External Auditor 2212-11

Here is the SOL http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

This list is about to change in the next few weeks as they reckon number of occupations are going be cut down to about 50%.

There has been some big changes since about February for Accountants not a 100% sure but I read somewhere that they might be looking for ILETS 7.0 if applying as an Accountant maybe some one on here can clear that one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Cheers for the reply buswankers, not long winded at all. I was thinkin myself that tax jobs wouldn't be that plentiful. I'm doin the ACCA exams at the moment as well so that might be a better route to go down. Dunno how willing they'd be to recruit a part qualified ACCAer over there tho!!

Thanks again for the advice!!

My missus is over here on a WHV with me and shes part qualified ACCA. Shes working in a hospital doing accounts receivable and thats the closest shes been to an accountant job. shes been workin in cafes before that.

She was also told at some interviews that they never heard of ACCA!!

Cheers for the replies!!

Although a tax advisor isn't an accountant, ""tax agent"" is listed beside where it says accountant on the SOL.

Dunno how the new SOL will affect accountants especially the ""tax agent"" part of it but it seems that they're trying to remove non-professional jobs such as hairdressers and cooks off the list, so hopefully accountants (tax agents) won't be affected.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies!!

Although a tax advisor isn't an accountant, ""tax agent"" is listed beside where it says accountant on the SOL.

I must be blind I couldn't see Tax agent anywhere
    on the SOL http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

It doesn't actually say it on the list, but this website explains 'accountant' a bit better:

http://www.australia-migration.com/page/Professional_Occupations_List/46

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

I know this isn't really on the subject but anyway i'll fire ahead..
    Does anyone know what legal work prospects out there are like??

Im just finishing up college and im planning to do the WHV this coming October. I would be looking more along the lines of paralegal/legal admin work??
    Do you think the possibility this is very slim with an Irish Law degree??

Would appreciate any advice!

Cheers!!

It doesn't actually say it on the list, but this website explains 'accountant' a bit better:

http://www.australia-migration.com/page/Professional_Occupations_List/46

Thanks I thought I was going Blind or even mad as I couldn't see Tax Agent anywhere on the official SOL.

Probably still have to wait and see what will be in the new SOL from DIAC, but like you say as long as you have the minimum of a Bachelor Degree or higher plus relevant experience plus equivalent to CPA registration you should be laughing.

Advertisement