Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CZ-550 Custom Work

Options
  • 05-05-2010 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Ok I have a CZ 550 in .270 just got it brand new about a month ago. Was talking to a man recently who was telling me that the mauser actions on these rifles arnt strong enough and a different gun would be better if I was thinking about going custom.:confused::confused: Is there any truth in this?

Also would like to know a rough price list of the following ( Pm if neccessary)

- Pillar Bedding, class bedding and barrell floating
    - new lightweight stock, CZ stocks are very limited :rolleyes:

Not interested in a new barrell i will wait a while since what i have is new!

Also would any gunsmith be able to make a picatinny rail for this gun? Only place they are available is from CZ Usa and won't ship here!:mad:

I know i'd be better off talking to John Greene or Fergal White but don't want to be bothering them since it is early days for this yet!i'm sure they are sick of canvassers!

Any advice or opinions appreciated!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

patsat wrote: »
    Ok I have a CZ 550 in .270 just got it brand new about a month ago. Was talking to a man recently who was telling me that the mauser actions on these rifles arnt strong enough and a different gun would be better if I was thinking about going custom.:confused::confused: Is there any truth in this?

Also would any gunsmith be able to make a picatinny rail for this gun? Only place they are available is from CZ Usa and won't ship here!:mad:

I know i'd be better off talking to John Greene or Fergal White but don't want to be bothering them since it is early days for this yet!i'm sure they are sick of canvassers!

The problem with CZ from a custom perspective is that the barrels are a SOB to get off as they are shrink fitted in.
    Howa or remington make the best low budget custom with the addition of a custom barrel.
    E-mail Fergal white www.Irelandcustomrifle.com
    One of his rebarrels won the F-Class at midlands yesterday 4.5 inch group @1000yards but the lads reckon its good for World record contention with some minor tweaking!!

A lot of guys on here have had re-barrels Via Fergal white.
    PM me if you want contact details. however you can mail him by clicking contact us on the website. Website is under construction but will be up inn the next week or so with pics etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's an extremely strong action. Whoever told you that is talking through their hole. It does alright for thousands of African hunters, so it's plenty strong and reliable for dangerous game rifles.

I'd give Fergal Whyte an email to be honest. He'd quote you a decent price for the entire package of work, and I'm sure he'd be able to make the rail you want.

The problem with CZ from a custom perspective is that the barrels are a SOB to get off as they are shrink fitted in.
    Howa or remington make the best low budget custom with the addition of a custom barrel.
    E-mail Fergal white www.Irelandcustomrifle.com
    One of his rebarrels won the F-Class at midlands yesterday 4.5 inch group @1000yards but the lads reckon its good for World record contention with some minor tweaking!!

A lot of guys on here have had re-barrels Via Fergal white.
    PM me if you want contact details. however you can mail him by clicking contact us on the website. Website is under construction but will be up inn the next week or so with pics etc

Fergal is also an agent for McMillan stocks and does rebedding.
    I'm not sure on prices but I can't complain. I find him quite reasonable

It's an extremely strong action. Whoever told you that is talking through their hole. It does alright for thousands of African hunters, so it's plenty strong and reliable for dangerous game rifles.

I'd give Fergal Whyte an email to be honest. He'd quote you a decent price for the entire package of work, and I'm sure he'd be able to make the rail you want.

Fergal can make anything! I wish I had his skill with a Lathe and a Mill.
    I'm just sorry I had not known where he was located years ago before I paid out a fortune on chopping and changing rifles when i could have just costumed my rifle to suit my needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Does he reply to the emails or would I be better off ringing him?

Emailed CZ usa a few times about international shipping but never got a reply!:rolleyes:

Looked at McMillans site there they have a few for the CZ-550 in synthetic so they should get the weight down.Pity there is no "tacticool" ones available!:D

Any further suggestions on what I could get done??

• Advertisement

Does he reply to the emails or would I be better off ringing him?

Emailed CZ usa a few times about international shipping but never got a reply!:rolleyes:

Looked at McMillans site there they have a few for the CZ-550 in synthetic so they should get the weight down.Pity there is no "tacticool" ones available!:D

Any further suggestions on what I could get done??

New trigger Timney maybe and a rebed to start and see where it goes from there. I'll PM you Figgy's number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Patsat

Run, .... don't walk. And no matter what do not look back.

The Mauser 98-type action is the best, or at least one of the best, bolt actions ever designed for a hunting rifle. These are the actions used in the best and most expensive bespoke rifles.

Just my opinion but a 270 needs a bit of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Nothing wrong with the cz550. good action and good barrel.

I would do the folowing, get the muzzle crown checked or recut,
    pillar bed the walnut stock with a large gap in the barrel channel.
    Sort out the trigger by either adjusting or replacement.
    Fergal could do that and maybe check if the action lugs contact well.

Not sure if that is true that cz's have shrunk in barrels, can someone confirm?

Almost most important is to find some ammo that suits the rifle.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

You could give John Greene in waterford a call or visit but i was down with him last week discussing my next custom rifle build and the man has 4 months work ahead of him!Hes out the door with custom work at the moment so if your in a hurry maybe ,as the lads said give Fergal a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Patsat,

I had a 550 in 6.5x55 and although a standard barrel and trigger and although I bedded it myself, on the couple of occasions that I got it right it produced half inch groups at 300 meters.

So I would say you don't need big work done to your rifle , Perhaps:

bed the action, recrown muzzle and adjust the trigger.

Then all thats left to do is shoot it, enjoy it and love it.

You bought a good rifle that will see you through many many years.

Fish.

• Advertisement

Just my opinion but a 270 needs a bit of weight.

I agree with you!:D But with the idea of free floating the barrell I don't think the stock on it at the moment would be great as the forearm is fairly thin.

And I am only walking now! Have to get the picatinny or weaver rail first before i do any of this! Just doing a bit of research!

Re Bullet type i have a few boxes got already just waiting to get the scope mounted to see what suits it best!

Thanks for the number Tack I sent him an email last night so he can get back to me in his own time! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

MayI ask..Why a weaver rail?

dwighet wrote: »
    MayI ask..Why a weaver rail?

The bushnell yardage pro riflescope has its own integral mounting system that fits to weaver bases.

Enjoy it. You've got a superb rifle there. The 550 is a lovely gun, and very accurate. I found out recently that they make their American Safari Magnum in .375 H&H Mag in a lefty action, so that may force the kitty to get broken open in a few years!

cz09_550-LEFT%20HAND-fancy%20Turkish%20for%20web_tif_200x100_q85.png

ejg wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the cz550. good action and good barrel.

I never once doubted it! I already have a CZ-527 and my father has a CZ550 in .243 so I have plenty of faith in it!:D

It was just I was with a man with a custom built 25-06 and after seeing what that was capable of I feel like making mine as accurate as possible!:D

I never once doubted it! I already have a CZ-527 and my father has a CZ550 in .243 so I have plenty of faith in it!:D

It was just I was with a man with a custom built 25-06 and after seeing what that was capable of I feel like making mine as accurate as possible!:D

Dial in your crown on a lathe, Rebed stock. Timney trigger and you will see your group shrink.

I look forward to a before and after group.
    Take a few pics now so you can have it for others to learn from

The bushnell yardage pro riflescope has its own integral mounting system that fits to weaver bases.

Ah right.......I may have a solution for ya.....Will get back to ya this afternoon after work...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

if you got the part number of the rail would you be able to import it through the main cz dealer

Ah right.......I may have a solution for ya.....Will get back to ya this afternoon after work...

I thought you might have the solution!! While I was looking through the internet for the solution I seen you asked a similar question a few years back!:D

Yes I sure will do a before and after! Then must start uploading a few hunting pics I have once i get the time!

I thought you might have the solution!! While I was looking through the internet for the solution I seen you asked a similar question a few years back!:D

Yes I sure will do a before and after! Then must start uploading a few hunting pics I have once i get the time!

Get in touch with these guys and get the UK rep phone number...
    There pricey but there good.....
    I never got a rail off tham but did get mounts and rings for both czs I had(527 and 550)..
    The Uk Rep is sound and you can buy direct from him...
    Hope you find what your looking for...
    Another option is if you know anyone in the States to get them to post the Usa Cz ones....

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Get in touch with these guys and get the UK rep phone number...
    There pricey but there good.....
    I never got a rail off tham but did get mounts and rings for both czs I had(527 and 550)..
    The Uk Rep is sound and you can buy direct from him...
    Hope you find what your looking for...
    Another option is if you know anyone in the States to get them to post the Usa Cz ones....

Good luck.

Thanks I will have a look into them. May try nd find sum1 living over there but can't think of any one!

Have a few different options now so should be able to get my hands on one!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

My nephew has that rifle in .243. Before you make any changes - shoot the rifle, very good accuracy out of the box.

CZ uses a ring set built specifically for the integrated 19 mm dovetail bases on that rifle. Talley and Warne make just what you are looking for, either quick detachable or fixed .

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/

http://www.warnescopemounts.com/scopering_chart.html

The CZ 550 has a set trigger if I am not mistaken, push the trigger forward to set (you will hear a click or feel it set) and you are in business.

The action is pillar bedded, the barrel is free floated from the receiver forward.

The CZ 550 has a set trigger if I am not mistaken, push the trigger forward to set (you will hear a click or feel it set) and you are in business.

The action is pillar bedded, the barrel is free floated from the receiver forward.

You are right the set trigger is very good! I probably won't be changing the trigger as i am happy with it. You were saying the barrell is free floated? Not on mine, but it is on my fathers one in .243!:confused:

Any way for ppl who have experience in both, is a timney trigger or any other custom trigger better then the CZ set trigger? If so why?!

Not a fan of set triggers on bigger centrefires. Was shooting a CZ 550 in .30-06 with one and it was a hairy enough experience. Might be just me, but I like to hold onto the rifle and I like the standard pull for that. The CZs I've shot tend not to have heavy factory triggers, and that 550 was clean enough, so if you like the trigger as is, don't go too mad on it. Custom work is always very nice, but out of curiosity, what's it shooting like at the moment?

You are right the set trigger is very good! I probably won't be changing the trigger as i am happy with it. You were saying the barrell is free floated? Not on mine, but it is on my fathers one in .243!:confused:

Any way for ppl who have experience in both, is a timney trigger or any other custom trigger better then the CZ set trigger? If so why?!

Well that is the 6 mllion dollar question about set versus Timney

Try a re-bed which could in essence free float the barrel if done right.
    Testing the crown in a lathe will also be interesting to see if it's off.

Fergal white may be able to make your rifle fit you like a glove.
    If you are in Limneach he's only a boat ride up the shannon ;)

I have seen a few CZ look the bee's knees when customized

Not sure what its shooting like yet as i have not had a scope on it, hence the need for this rail!

The rest of the stuff i'm only digging for information to see what i could do later on but the rail is top of the list.

So far i have only used the open sights with the gun and was hitting milk cartons at 150 yards.

Don't think i will change the trigger as it is what i'm used to so best leave well enough alone!:D

I have a few different people trying to source the base so once that is done ye will get an update on how it shoots!

Not sure what its shooting like yet as i have not had a scope on it, hence the need for this rail!

The rest of the stuff i'm only digging for information to see what i could do later on but the rail is top of the list.

So far i have only used the open sights with the gun and was hitting milk cartons at 150 yards.

Don't think i will change the trigger as it is what i'm used to so best leave well enough alone!:D

I have a few different people trying to source the base so once that is done ye will get an update on how it shoots!

if you can't get one Figgy White can make you one. Not a lot to it if you have a Good Mill and a good eye like The Fig ;)

If you had seen some of the stuff he is making at the moment you would believe me!

if you can't get one Figgy White can make you one. Not a lot to it if you have a Good Mill and a good eye like The Fig ;)

If you had seen some of the stuff he is making at the moment you would believe me!

Got onto him by email and he said he is trying to get one for me. He said it wouldn't be worth machining it!

But not to worry just got an email off him saying he can get one sent to him tomorrow! Nice One!:D:D:D

to free float your barrel all you need is some dowell a small bit smaller than the barrel channel and some sand paper and a small tub of boat varnish...

Work out were the high spots are touching the barrel.
    Remove the stock.
    Wrap the sand paper around the dowell and start sanding.
    Reassemble the rifle and check for good clearence...you will want about the thickness of 2 buissness cards to fit between the stock and the barrel all the way up the recoil lug(the end of the action) cause the 270 will kick a good bit so good clearence is required..
    Once your happy with the job give the sanded area a good splash of the boat varnish to seal the timber and leave overnight to cure.
    Reassemble the next day and its good to go all for the price of 2 pints;)

• Advertisement

Fergal is getting one custom made for me from america and i should have it in the next 2 weeks!:D

Advertisement